Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with connecting ESC, Battery, Motors  (Read 6796 times)

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Problem with connecting ESC, Battery, Motors
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »

Yes, its broken.  It looks like the internal circuit that looks after the ranges is no longer a working circuit.
On a working one, you can measure any voltage below what the scale says. 
The dash with dot underline is a universal symbol for DC, so that is what you would use around batteries. The "~" is the symbol for AC. 
Setting for too high a scale will just make the needle give a small travel on a low voltage, moving to a lower scale gives bigger travel and is easier to read.  Making the needle travel too far too fast will kill it.  A needle meter does not need batteries for reading voltage and current.  The batteries are for the resistance scales, which are also very useful for checking whether the meter and leads are fit for use.
If you get a digital one, you get the same ranges, but the results are presented as numbers, thus easier to read.  Usually, they don't care which way round the leads are connected, the display just shows a "-" if its reversed.  The downside is that they need a battery to work at all.
Without a working one, when trying to track electrical faults, you are just guessing and hoping for good luck and magic.

Do you get any warning that the battery in a digital meter is on the way, out or does it just stop working.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2012, 09:45:57 am »

Do you get any warning that the battery in a digital meter is on the way, out or does it just stop working.

On one of mine, the "-" turns into a small "batt", then the display goes wonky.  A few months later.  This usually only happens when I have forgotten to switch it off for a few days.  Used properly, battery life in service is pretty much the same as its shelf life.
The best thing to do with any meter is to switch it to a resistance scale and tap the probes together before use.  If it reads anything other than zero, something needs checking.  From experience, immediately after doing that check is the time to switch to the intended range.  Saves the hassle associated with offering the resistance measuring circuit to a voltage.
Each design has its own little differences, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one that could self check its own battery, but I suspect it would be at the upper end of the market.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:39 am »

Thank you  :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 12:13:30 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one that could self check its own battery, but I suspect it would be at the upper end of the market.

My cheapy market stall one (£4.99 about 5 years ago) does that.... remove battery cover, switch on and poke negative and positive battery terminals.  Gives a combined result of the 2 AA batteries in the holder :)
Also according to the instructions the display on mine flashes when the battery is low
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.