Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pre Dreadnought Secondary Armament  (Read 8834 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: Pre Dreadnought Secondary Armament
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 01:37:57 pm »

Hi Derek

That theory works well in later period vessels of the pre dreadnoughts such as Lord Nelson but the early pre dreadnoughts had openings in the hull, the article is of HMS Prince George (a Majestic class of 1893-6 design and build dates) therefore had the earlier openings- there were no turrets for the secondary armament. The problem in understanding of how the secondary armament gun barrels were withdrawn in to the hull is the question we are trying to work out. The picture of the 6 inch gun housing shows the barrel sitting on the blocks but also attached to the ceiling, so I presume the barrels were removed from the mounts when they weren't required as these barrels are up to 23ft long. And since the ship would not require an instant action to operate the secondary armament like todays vessels (remember wars were long and very drawn out back then) the barrels could be put in to position when needed, or at least prepared for an up coming battle. Thats my guess!

Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 02:10:25 pm »

I have tried Googling the Japanese battleship Mikasa which is the only remaining pre dreadnought. One of the sites showed a 6 inch gun inside the ship but it looks as if it might be pedestal mounted. All the 6 inch guns are in the run out position viewed from the exterior.

Colin

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:39 pm »

Hi Colin,
Just found a pic of the Royal Sovereign of the 1890,s type in a seaway with heavy spray going over her and she has her 6" gun barrels quite clearly on display. I should imagine the gun emplacements are separated from the main hull by watertight bulkheads and doors, plus some could be on a semi platform from the hull in some classes with good drainage there would be no stability problem. Much like the boat emplacements on air craft carriers.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.