Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Last Post"  (Read 6260 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
"The Last Post"
« on: November 26, 2012, 03:06:21 pm »

Is it just me, or do any other members of an "elderly" persuasion get a sinking feeling when confronted with a column titled "Last Post". BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "The Last Post"
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 03:20:58 pm »

Cheer up ol Bean.  Just one more posting and then this won't be the last one.

:} :} :}

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 03:27:59 pm »

Nope. Not me. Listened to it at school, every night after pipe down. It always invokes happy memories. Now Reveille, that's a different story. Am not and never was good at mornings!
Jerry.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »

I always think it is a rather comforting sound Bryan. Hard to explain why really.

My own morbid thoughts are drawn to a poem that Mr Gwenin had me write a thousand times (first verse that was). James Shirley's, http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/the-glories-of-our-blood-and-state/ Well 45 years later I can recall the poem word perfect just as if it were a reflex.

Whenever the rich famous or privileged pop off it usually comes to mind.
Dave

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:49:24 pm »

I love the varied replies to this.
Obviously it was meant primarily as a joke...with a purpose.
The recent saga about the direction "Chit Chat" was taking only proved to me that a forum site where (literally) "chit chat" could take place is invaluable. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:56:50 pm »

And at the end of the day, Martin will always have the last post

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:58:13 pm »

A nice play on words but I think that honour is down to Gabriel and his trumpet.

Dave

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 08:05:31 pm »

I would like to re-iterate what Martin said about Chit Chat.

We can talk about about anything in Chit Chat and it does not have to be Boat related. I think you misunderstood me when I said lets get back to boat related subjects. What I meant was to return to the general Forum after we've had our chit chat and NOT, as many of you think,  chit chat was to only be about boats.

Sorry for the confusion.   I hope I'm forgiven.

Regards to you all

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:30 pm »

There are a couple of current threads which are obvious candidates for the last post.  O0 O0 O0

It would be humane act accordingly.  :-)) :-)) :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRqMMaCZfHI   %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »

As long as its not mine or played for me am ok I enjoy Chit-Chat even if some are off the wall, What I do find upsetting lately is the clamp down  on reports of bad service and rip-off,s as I now buy most of must off on-line and web based companysand like to know if some shops or slow bad pricey or any other faults I should know of so I may stay clear of them Good traders would normaly welcome BY WORD OF MOUTH from  modellers,I do understand this is Martins site and he may have to be careful whats put on but please lets not gag bad service.
             Regards Howard.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55:34 pm »

A comment on a forum can be replied to by a trader but the Pm's that otherwise circulate can be more harmful to a brand because they circulate undefended. I think the first steps should be towards resolution but that can't always be achieved ...... Can't be easy for Martin finding a fair balance though.

On the subject of closing threads - if Joe Bloggs wants to discuss his lace doily collection I won't read it. If others do want to discuss the merits of the doily versus the antimacassar as an interest then I won't ask for the thread to be closed either. Beats me why people get het up about these things.

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »

Discussion of complaints about traders is not a suitable subject as while some of the complaints may well be valid, you only tend to hear one side of the story which experience has shown is not always accurate. Traders tend not to reply as they recognise that an online ding dong achieves nothing in the long run which is why the policy on Mayhem is to keep disputes offline unless there is some sort of obvious scam going on which is very rarely the case. If you have a beef with a trader then sort it out offline, don't use Mayhem as a platform as it won't help your case at all.

As far as closing Chit Chat threads is concerned, yes, it's OK to discuss anything within reason,n but as Martin has previously pointed out, once the thread threatens to take over the Forum to no obvious benefit then it is time to put an end to it. It's all very well saying that if you are not interested then don't look at it but many of us when logging in select the option for unread posts and if the list is totally swamped with trivia, as it was on the recent 'Music' thread, get a bit irritated to say the least. Chit Chat is a nice facility but some people do try and exploit it for their own personal agenda which i think is discourteous to the rest of us.

Colin

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:51 pm »

Completely agree with everything Colin Bishop has written above.

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:05:38 am »

Amen to The Bishop.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 12:25:58 am »

I completely understand the matter of complaints about traders - there are legal implications for the site owners as well - but it does leave things a bit unbalanced when posts praising traders are allowed. Obviously if you feel you've had poor service and see someone else saying it was good you feel the need to redress the balance.
And yes, this is OT.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:32:32 am »

exploit it for their own personal agenda which i think is discourteous to the rest of us

I can only speak for myself Colin. I am open with my opinion and have no personal or hidden agendas. I mostly say what I think but I hope I am always at least courteous even when in disagreement.

I don't understand how, if only a few people take part in a thread and then only a few people complain - how either side can take on the mantle of 'the rest of us'? Anyway I will leave the discussion to continue without me as there seems only one possible outcome.

For those who viewed late please take the opportunity read the eloquent poem on the link I joined Bryan's thread with. One wonders how it was received in it's day?

Sleep Well, Dave

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 02:26:40 am »

As far as closing Chit Chat threads is concerned, yes, it's OK to discuss anything within reason,n but as Martin has previously pointed out, once the thread threatens to take over the Forum to no obvious benefit then it is time to put an end to it. It's all very well saying that if you are not interested then don't look at it but many of us when logging in select the option for unread posts and if the list is totally swamped with trivia, as it was on the recent 'Music' thread, get a bit irritated to say the least. Chit Chat is a nice facility but some people do try and exploit it for their own personal agenda which i think is discourteous to the rest of us.

Colin

Absolutely positively 100% accurate well said.  O0 O0 O0

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 03:25:12 am »

On a personal note.

One very sad trend I see on Chit-Chat is when discussions descend into trolling matches. Things can, and sometimes do, get unpleasant and personal. As a result threads get tidied up (offending posts deleted). If things continue to go down hill the thread can be locked. However, people who have been off line do not see what had happened while they were away. All they see is a locked thread. Someone then posts about censorship and/or free speech and off we go again.

The saddest part about all of this is that people see the hostility and get fed up with it. Hostile posts on the Chit Chat board are the biggest single cause of people leaving the forum, and most of these are not the people who are the targets of the hostility. <:(  Recently we have lost members who have made a very big contribution to the forum over the years, very sad losses indeed.

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 08:33:17 am »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »

Brilliant post TT.   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 01:22:19 pm »

Yes, TT is absolutely right. We have indeed lost a lot of members due to them finding the atmospher on the Forum uncongenial while others visit less frequently.

Soderation in Moderation is the way to go as far as Chit Chat is concerned.

Colin

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2012, 02:47:31 pm »

I agree with TT and colin.
                               Regards Howard.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2012, 08:16:06 pm »

As we say in Oz, now might be a good time, for Martin and the moderators, to be humane and to Cull the herd.???

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 08:12:06 am »

Chat Chat has been drawing a lot fire of late, most times from the same band of merry men. I personally do not like been classified as part of a herd & that kind of remark should be removed. I am not part of a herd or should I be classified as such.This after all is Model Boat Forum and without stretching the discription of Forum "a public meeting place for open discussion"at least that is what my dictonary says.We can find all sorts of reasons for trying to get rid of things we dont like,and while I agree that sometimes things get stretched a bit that is what democracy is all about letting people have their say. I am sure that if I searched hard enough I can always find someone to disagree with me.This present attitude stretches across a large part of our society outside the forum as well. It is not hard to find someone with the best intentions that will try to remove one more freedom & have a very good reason (in their mind) for doing so. Those of us that may be in a majority should be careful what we wish for, history is full of disasters caused by good intentions. I would like to see numbers to back up the claim of people leaving because of Chit Chat. I have many friends on the forum & I have yet to have ONE mention Chit Chat in a negative light to me. I have also had lots of emails from members with the same result. I find it nno problem to log in & read what I want to read & leave the rest. As a point of fact one of the best threads over the year past has been The Falkland thread.My final word is if you don't like it don't read it, easy is it not. Mick B.     
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:51 am »

As a point of fact one of the best threads over the year past has been The Falkland thread.My final word is if you don't like it don't read it, easy is it not. Mick B.   

very true.
While I have to say some of the chit chat threads don't interest me, many do.  Whats the harm in a bit of banter between friends.  I'm sure there is none of us on here who want to talk boats 24/7

The Chit Chat part of the forum allows us to find out a little more about members, this can be beneficial in ways not related to model boats.  For example some of the computer problems that have been posted there.  I think there are quite a few people who have had computer issues here, posted a question, and got a selection of answers.  Granted there may well be "Computer" forums on the web.  Do you really want to register on one just to ask a single question.

The personalities on here make this more than just a forum, its a community, and like all communities there are some who don't get on with others.  That's just life.
By removing the "chit chat" and the removal of all non boat related threads as has some have said would turn this into a very sterile repositry.  which I think in turn would put even more members off.

In my opinion things are fine the way they are.  if you don't like the way a thread is going, don't read it.  If you don't like the idea of the chit chat section, ignore it.  No one is making anyone paticipate in anything they don't want to do.

And finally I'd like to say thanks for the stirling work that Martin and the team of mods do to keep this site running.  The web would be a far less interesting place without it!
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.