Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: rebiulld / restoration of a coastal thames barge  (Read 6907 times)

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: rebiulld / restoration of a coastal thames barge
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2012, 10:47:00 am »

Some more pics were set to me last night

Certainly coming along rather nicely
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2012, 09:59:47 pm »

ive progressed to making up the solid balsa bow blocks , lots of wood shaving and sanding ! once they have been made identical they too will be glued to the keel / stem and back to the bulkhead , going to take a short break as i need to machine a new adapter plate for a brushless motor to fit into my graupner mini waterjet ! jon

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 06:51:13 pm »

the short break was very short , took less than an hour in my mates workshop ( machine shop at the bottom of his garden ) to fabricate my adapter plate , im now back onto the restoration of my barge  . both the port & starboard bow blocks have been carved from solid balsa and glued onto the keel / stem and first bulkhead , ive now started to infill the planking between the midships and bow block . jon

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 08:08:46 am »

the second skin of diagonal planking has now been glued in place along the entire hull , and has been sanded to a smooth and flowing shape , just the opposite side to second skin , ive also started shaping the sub deck , which will be in two halves joined along the centre , im still undecided weather to individually plank the deck or have it painted ? more photos to follow  jon

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2012, 12:09:30 pm »

The photos to follow :)

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 09:34:38 pm »

That's better, it is starting to look like a boat again!!!
 :-)
Amateur at work...

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2012, 09:26:09 pm »

yes slowly its starting to resemble a sailing barge hull once more , i had a slight change when i started to lay the second layer of planking and ive continued the planking along the complete length of the hull , hoping it will help make the hull a little stronger , before i laminate the hull & bulwarks in grp ? im also shaping the two halves of deck before i fit the bulwarks , working on the theory it will be much easier to offer up the decking ! jon

Captain Povey

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 12:27:25 pm »

Hi there Triumphjon, your restoration is certainly a work of art and labour of love. Congratulations on doing such a thorough job. She will be worth the effort. I recently completed a build of a Thames barge and referred a lot to the Association of Model Barge Owners. They have a lot of detailed advice and are worth contacting if you havn't already done so. I also referred to books such as 'An Illustrated guide to Thames Sailing Barges' by Peter & Rita Phillips, 'Sailing Barges' by Martin Hazell, 'The Thames Sailing Barge, Her Gear and Rigging' by Dennis J Davis and 'Spritsail Bargemen' by Derek Coombe. I have not had a lot of experience of sailing this sort of model but considering the amount of sail she will carry, for what its worth, I would suggest you forget the leeboard control and go for a cental fixed keel. There is a picture on here under 'Thames Barge' showing my 'Betty May' caught in a gust of wind. The hand rails are very close to the water line and she has 3kg of lead hanging 300mm below the bottom of the hull and a further !kg in the hull. Keep up the good work. Graham.  :-))

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 01:55:04 pm »

thank you graham , i keep looking in our maritime bookstore , its typical when i didnt have the barge they had books on them in stock , now theyd be of use the shop hasnt got any ! ive joined the A M B O  forum just over a week ago , so hoping to gain some inspiration . dont think the leeboards would give me the stability that im going to need , so having an underslung keel is the better way to go , i quite like the wing keel , my brother in laws australia 2 has one and it works very well as it also allows sailing in shallower waters , and hasnt to date got snagged in the weed !  jon

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2012, 02:54:46 pm »

Looking good so far Jon,
defo a keel as opposed to leeboards for stability.
On your original post the mizzen looks a lot bigger than
the norm on a tsb.
I was just a pocket hanky of a sail for help in manoeuvering.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2012, 05:10:27 pm »

not really sure if the sails are the correct size or maybe oversize , it was what it was wearing when i collected the model . the bowsprit that was fitted also looks very long to my eyes too , it makes the overall length from 50 1/2 inches stem to rudder to over 68 inches long ! i was planing to have the sprit  but only use it for light airs , in the same way i can remove sails should the wind be much stronger .

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 09:37:42 pm »

not much been done to the barge this week  , ive been side tracked with trying to prepare a couple of models for an end of year three mile sail ! , however the second layer of planking is almost finished , the sub deck has been shaped and the planking for the  deck has been ordered . following a little digging i now know which barge ive got , its WILL EVERARD  built from the 1952 plan in model maker , it will probably not be called WILL  but may become one of the other three  that were part of the same batch of four vessels that everard owned in the 30s . jon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.