Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jupiter  (Read 3307 times)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
Jupiter
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:15 pm »

Jupiter is clearly visible in the night sky, presumably illuminated by The Moon, can anyone explain the astronomy behind it, ie, why, why now, how etc? :-) :-) :-)

What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
Re: Jupiter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »

Jupiter orbits the Sun every 11.8 years. On Earth, we orbit the Sun once a year, and as we whizz round on our inside track we "catch up" with Jupiter every thirteen months or so. Right about now (and for the next few weeks) the position of the planets means that the Sun, Earth, and Jupiter are almost in a line: meaning that Jupiter is high in the sky at midnight, just about as close as it can be, and almost fully illuminated. The next time this will happen will be during January 2014.

The Moon (very much closer to us) orbits in a plane not dissimilar to the planets, moving around the sky once a month. It just happens that tonight a post-full Moon is close to Jupiter. BOTH are illuminated by the Sun. If you stick your head out of doors every hour or so, you'll notice that while Jupiter and the Moon are moving steadily westwards (just like the Sun does) the Moon is creeping leftwards (in the northern hemisphere) towards Jupiter - that's the Moon's orbital motion in action.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:20:37 pm »

Brilliant explanation, looks like I will be out doors half the night now, best get the cocoa on, Many thanks :-)) :-)) :-))

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 10:21:44 pm »

thanks for that, andy.............the heavens always fascinate me, and it's nice to have it explained in simple terms.
cheers.and very interesting too.
neil.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 10:27:54 pm »

When Jupiter is in the sky it is always visible, for us the sun is the brightest object, the moon next then venus and then jupiter. venus is always near one horizon or other, jupiter is always good to look at, through binoculars you can see its stunning set of moons all strung in a line. like the moon the light we see is sunlight reflected  off it, it just happens that it is close to where the moon is at the moment.
all the planets follow the path across the sky called the ecliptic, the moon does so to but wanders above and below its line. each day the moon moves further east with respect to the planets, such that every month we get the phases of the moon, the planets also move with respect to the stars, but much slower, so there can be periods when jupiter isnt visible, as with all the planets, these all revolve around the sun at different time intervals, so you can get times when they are all visible and lined up.
Grendel

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 10:38:21 pm »

I was out tonight and that did catch my attention for a while, thanks for the info Nick.

I would have stayed out longer looking at it but it was freezing....... and there was nothing to click as I gazed at up.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 10:43:55 pm »

Grendel, you mention Venus, What is thr Transit of Venus, as studied by Captain Cook? This is all most interesting, I can see Jupiter moving closer to the Moon, or appearing to. Thanks everyone for all the info, never really thought about what is going on in the sky, most illuminating. :-)) :-)) :-))

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 11:20:59 pm »

venus orbits closer to the sun than us, so occasionally venus passes directly over the face of the sun as viewed by us, we have had two such transits in the last few years, but its quite a few years until it next happens (beyond my lifetime). if you measure the time taken to cross the face of the sun the relative distances can be calculated.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:21:50 pm »

It is worth looking at Jupiter through binoculars (if you do not have a telescope) to see some of the moons.
Personally, I enjoy watching for satelites. See the "Heavens Above" web site for the times and directions in your location.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 12:01:42 am »

Thanks gents :-)) :-)) :-))

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 12:40:04 am »

Well Nick spare a thought for me - middle of nowhere and yes it's cold - no Cocoa here.
Yes just a few minutes looking at the moon. Now my night vision is totally shot - worth it though.
Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:16:05 am »

If you have a smartphone, there are some good Apps which allow you to point the phone at a section of sky and it will tell you what you are looking at. They use the phone's GPS function and inbuilt compas to work out where you are and which way you are facing and apply this to the App star map which includes the planets and the moon. Fascinating stuff!

Colin

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 09:18:48 pm »

google star map is a good 1 , you move your phone to what your looking at and it tells you what your looking at , plus its free  :-))

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:42 pm »

Well Nick spare a thought for me - middle of nowhere and yes it's cold - no Cocoa here.
Yes just a few minutes looking at the moon. Now my night vision is totally shot - worth it though.
Dave

Hi Dave, I did as you asked, and spared a thought for you, whilst sat cosy in front of the fire with a steaming mug of Yorkshire Tea and a sausage butty...... :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:32 am »

I just bought a book, on line, for the princely sum of 46 cents US :o   plus $12 postage O0 . It's called The Cosmos: Images from Here to the Edge of the Universe. It is a brilliant book for anyone interested in the subject, beautifully illustrated with very easy to understand text. It's the kind of book you can pick up and read for a few minutes, or much longer if you have the time. I found it fascinating and thoroughly recommend it.

I got mine from Amazon here http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Images-Here-Edge-Universe/dp/184483476X

Peter.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:18 am »

Thank you Martin, it looks like a great book for Santa to drop in my stocking. I have always had a big interest in space & the Universe. Mick B.
Mick B.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:43 am »

Sorry about the name mistake Peter, I have a bad toothache & my brain is more scrambled than usual. (Root Canal next week, ouch.)Mick B.
Mick B.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 09:05:04 pm »

Sorry about the name mistake Peter

That's OK Fred...oops, Mick {-)

Peter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.