Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Order of progress  (Read 1548 times)

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Order of progress
« on: December 01, 2012, 05:59:50 pm »

I've got the hull finished to primer all over and now possibly going to start on building and fitting stuff topside.

The question I have is:
Would I be best to finish paint the hull up to the waterline (approximately), so I don't need to turn it over again once I start fitting topsides stuff which will be vulnerable?
The downside is that it may get damaged while I'm doing all the topside work.

The alternative is of course to do the topsides and then finish paint the whole boat at the end - which risks damaging the fittings.

Who does which?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Order of progress
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 01:02:55 am »

If you have the hull mounted in a cradle, with foam strips to protect it, you shouldn't have any problems. After building a hull I always make a cradle for it, which then becomes its display cradle, I can then work on the topsides without fear of damage to the hull, which I usually paint completely before moving on.

In answer to your question, I would paint the hull now and then go on to the rest of the build. I have attached a photo of my Grand Banks pleasure cruiser under construction to show what I mean. The hull is finished and painted and the superstructure is under way.

Peter.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
Re: Order of progress
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 05:21:44 pm »

Thanks Peter. I get the impression from logs, etc, that this is what a lot of people do, so I think I'll go that way as well. (I have a padded cradle.) (For the boat :) )

I had thought I'd just finish the lower hull, but seeing yours and thinking ahead I think I'll maybe do the whole lot now as you suggest. Means I need to do a bit more work to finish the top edge of the hull and gunwhales first, but it's got to be done soon anyway, so no matter.
However, it does mean I need to decide what the colour scheme is - red below the W/L was a no-brainer; but above ??? I've not yet decided for sure. Hmm. One of the 'interesting' aspects of freelancing :)

/ Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.