Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circular Quay & Sydney Harbour video  (Read 3515 times)

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
Circular Quay & Sydney Harbour video
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:08:06 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qXNU3PlC-M

When we were on holiday last week and taking the ferry from Circular Quay across Sydney Harbour to Taronga Zoo I took a few minutes of video.
A couple of ferries, a cruise ship and support vessel, plus some long range shots of some Navy vessels. I though I had another clip of the support vessel but can't find it - maybe I pointed the camera and forgot to record anything...

Enjoy.
Alister

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Circular Quay & Sydney Harbour video
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 10:35:13 am »

Thanks AlisterL  ok2  .... some good images about the 4 minute mark of my old work place ......... :police:  GID........
I think your reference to a floating dock  %) may be to a floating pontoon for passangers to board & alight a ferry @ Circular Key [QUAY]
The naming of Circular Key by the British is also  {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)  as it is rectangular in foot print
Many have acknowledged that the inner areas of Sydney harbour are the most beautiful in the world.......... O0 ....Derek  :kiss:
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:33:55 am »

Alister,
Yes, a really good trip, done many times long ago now and when the mothball fleet were still in existence.

Derek,
What happened to the Garden at Garden Island  O0 O0 O0 O0 Circular quay was circular way way in the dim past.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:40 pm »

Apologies........appears that in 1892....the area was called Semi Circular Quay..........funny how mankind can change the shape of the earth  %%

As for the garden @ GID....it provided fresh vegies for the Garrison stationed there....long gone.....Derek

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:33:42 pm »

Good stuff Derek,  :-)) :-)) :-))

That's a bit before my time, but can recall when the quay wasn't as straight and regimented as it is now.

There was a lot more 'timber' work leading out to the jetties back then as the quay had not been dredged right up to the 'bank'.

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 08:24:29 pm »

I think your reference to a floating dock  %) may be to a floating pontoon for passangers to board & alight a ferry @ Circular Key [QUAY]

Hi Derek, well corrected, I suppose it is indeed a pontoon, but I assumed that pontoons would be smaller (and I didn't remember the designation anyway!).

Many have acknowledged that the inner areas of Sydney harbour are the most beautiful in the world.......... O0 ....Derek  :kiss:

Many haven't been to Auckland :) But certainly the number of bays and such make Sydney Harbour very interesting. I would have liked to have done a harbour cruise, but time and heat conspired against us.
Alister

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 10:37:02 pm »

Alister,

If you ever get the chance again do the old ferry, not the hydrofoil, run to Manly.  O0 O0

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:10 am »

If you ever get the chance again do the old ferry, not the hydrofoil, run to Manly. O0 O0

The last Sydney Ferries Hydrofoil ran on 18th March 1991, so you won't be able to do that. :-)  I did ride the hydrofoils a couple of times, they were fast but you couldn't see much, much better trip on the "normal" ferry.

I've attached a photo I took in 1969 (scanned from a slide) of one of the hydrofoils coming in to Circular Quay past the Opera House, which was still under construction.

Peter.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:24 am »

Alister, if you ever get the chance again do the old ferry run on a day like this when crossing North Head........, {-) great fun....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

aLEX vk2kr

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 07:05:38 am »

Hi Derek et al

As a former Lands Dept employee located in Bridge St, we had all the historic plans
of the site.

originally the Quay was semi circular and the shoreline was up at Customs House
but over time was repeatedly filled to the current wharves setup.

At the Bi-Centenary there was a private mob flogging off copies of all the early
plans of Sydney - done very tastefully.

regards

Alex

Pity that I dont have access to the plans any more.

Apologies........appears that in 1892....the area was called Semi Circular Quay..........funny how mankind can change the shape of the earth  %%

As for the garden @ GID....it provided fresh vegies for the Garrison stationed there....long gone.....Derek

AlisterL

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:29:30 am »

Alister, if you ever get the chance again do the old ferry run on a day like this when crossing North Head........, {-) great fun....Derek

Ha! No, no way, not ever! I get seasick in the bathtub...

And Peter - a great photo of the construction. We also did a tour of the Opera House and saw a short video including the construction, the development and lots of other information on the Opera House. Very interesting stuff.
Alister

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:07:22 pm »

Three more photos from my archives. One is a different angle of the Opera House in 1969, and the second is of the construction site in 1963 when the building was little more than a concrete slab. The third is how Circular Quay looked in 1963, the photo was taken from the South East bridge pylon, and anyone familiar with Sydney would see a vast difference to what we see today. It's hard to believe that I took two of the photos almost 50 years ago {:-{

Peter.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:00:09 am »

The last Sydney Ferries Hydrofoil ran on 18th March 1991, so you won't be able to do that. :-)  I did ride the hydrofoils a couple of times, they were fast but you couldn't see much, much better trip on the "normal" ferry.

Peter.

Which probably explains why I didn't see them last time I was there a couple of years ago  {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.