Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELLO ALL  (Read 4838 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HELLO ALL
« on: December 04, 2012, 05:13:47 am »

HI fellow modelers
ii have just joined up ,i hope this is the wright place to post
bit of info about my self
i'm retired professional prawn trawler owner /skipper ( east coast of AUSTRALIA ) i was doing it for 52 years started with MY DAD at 13 and bought my first trawler
at 21y, it was a 45 year old 36 foot timber converted trap boat have had 8 boats in all over the years,  6 timber from 36 to 50 ft  and 2 steel 60 footers
have worked FNQ waters north of CAIRNS for the last 32 years
i I'm building my first plank on frame boat at the moment , picked up and old opened kit cheap was of the MARE NOSTROM i have used SOME parts like the keel and aft of amidships frames i changed the forward frames to give a better entry and line  to it ,  and i changed the scale to turn it in to 70 footer and put a stern wheel house on it as i'm going to turn it in to a ISLAND TRADER  ,
nice and easy not much rigging to do just a forward mast and boom and cargo winch ( AND SOME CARGO on deck witch is taking longer then the hull  {-) )
i am enjoying it all very much as i like boats with nice lines ,so hope to get better at it and tackle a 48ins modern dutch beam trawler next year ( if i can find a kit )after i have completely finished the islander trader IF THAT IS POSSABLE  {-)  as i seam to keep changing things as i go
cheers to all have a good day
seam to be haveing a lot of trouble with the typed letters  to post?
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HELLO ALL
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 07:47:16 am »

Welcome to the site, it,s nice to see someone interested in trawlers and fishing....Rod :-)) :-))
trawlerman

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:38 am »

I'm sure all the members would like to wish you a happy time on mayhem, and we would love to see pictures of your build,but more than that I personally would love to see pictures of your first shrimper.
where I and trawlerman live, is a coastline most famous for shimp and prawn boats called Morecambe bay Nobbies (Nobbys) and I'd love to see how differently yours differ from our famous old boats........in fact Rob Maddock is building a  beautiful model of one here so you can see what ours looked like.   http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=30888.0
If you have any shots. please post them.
thanks,
neil.

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:34:54 am »

HI ROD and NEAL
sorry i cant help you on pic of the first one (or the first 2 for that matter it was in days before cameras  {-) no they all went missing during my divorce  :-)) )
but i will try to find a similar pic, it was 80hp diesel powered when i got it witch i soon repoward with 180hp  and towed 1 single 8fath net over the stern using 2 otter boards for about 2 years then converted to twin rig towing 2 by 4 fath nets one on each boom ( about 10ft long )using 4 smaller otter boards and a drop chain ground rig ,catches were amazing in the day compared to the one single net
now we use quad gear 2 by 5 fath nets on each boom (30ft long on each   side) and a 2.1/2 fath over the stern (called try gear )
my avatar is the last 60 ft steely i had for the last 8 years before i retired
i used to help my father hand pull the gear in the OLD days he came from Kent ENGLAND and had 3 small boats during the 2nd world war fishing the English channel they used pull up on the beach or pebbles with an old truck on skids

i'm trying to post a pic of my build  from my PC wont let me do i have to use a photo bucket ac ?
way is it so hard to get the letters wright below to post?
cheers

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:59:25 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 02:20:21 am »

thanks for the warm welcom guys
just a quick pic of my build so far (to see if it works ) i will post a new thread about it
cheers  Bob
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:28:08 am »

some pic of the latest state of art  prawn trawler MODEL here in Australia's gulf of carpenter
made by a fellow fisherman while he was at SEA  on board  his latest 25m trawler he got about 5 years ago these  boats do 3 month trips so plenty of time to do things .as they only work day time  for banana prawns , and nights for tigers ( but at different times of the year first 3 months is day time 2nd 3 months is night time ) he has done  others for other fisherman also i can post them if you want
still looking for a similar pic of my first boat (trawler ) hard to find these days
cheers bob

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:45:20 am »

Hi Bob.....Looks a really superb model....Rod  :-)) 
trawlerman

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:38 am »

G'day Bob,

Did you ever get to prawning up and around Karumba in the Gulf.
Remember my first visit up that way, many many years ago and the sheer size of the prawns which were unbelievable, almost size of a small lobster with the head removed.

Back then light aircraft, was on a charter, landed on the beach. :o :o :o

Probably big changes since then.

Keep the pics coming  O0 O0 :-)) :-))
Gunna build those other boats one day.

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »

hi Gunner
 no i never got to the gulf TORRES STRAIGHT was as far is i got , by the time i got a boat big enough for the gulf , licences were worth about half a million $
and then the gulf fishery crashed in the 90s and boat and licences were worth nothing and the tories straight was the new frontier so i bought in to that fishery
and worked that with 2 boats  with  full licences 270 nights a year per boat
yes the tiger prawns are still big in gulf but no bigger then the straights but there's a lot of med size to go with them , early in the year 1st march onward

there only about 90 big boats left in the gulf now 25M stuff to big for the straights or east coast 20m limit
they are all small factory ships now graders and all the mod cons as its only 2 species fishery bananas from march to June then 2 month closure then tigers from September to early DEC  and all fully grow prawns and is regulated to the hilt , just to fill up with fuel and pay the entry fee is about 100,000 before you even go to sea fuel is 55%of the turn over now used to be 10% so not much left for the boat owner  <:(
there's not enough boats to warrant spotter planes any more you just find a patch and fill up on your own  :-))
in the straights we wouldn't see another boat till the mother ship arrived once every 7 days was only 70 boats in the whole fishery
there only about 200 boats left on the whole east of australia now including gulf and Torres straight , in the early there was 2,000 ,prawning is a dying industry now as fuel is $ 1,50 a liter and they have taken the import duty of the over seas farm stuff, it gets landed for $5 a kg from china packed in 3kg shop ready cartons
and you cant get any CREW now  as the mines have taken  all the drug and drink free ones
thats was way i sold out sick of getting attacked by druggies who couldn't get a fix
i could go on but i better not or it will be a book
cheers bob
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 04:46:52 am »

has any one done this one from DUMAS (reviews or  pic please ) can get it cheap for $70 would be something to practice on

also some pic of what my first trawler was like

no radar of coarse
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 08:29:32 am »

that looks a nice boat Bob........ and so does the pics of the boat similar to your first boat.

sadly we seldom see models over here of ships and boats generic to other countries, and to be honest seldom see Dumas boats being built on here,

and I for one would welcome a build log of such a vessel as you have shown..........

Tim B did one a short while ago on the Dumas Coastguard Lifeboat, and it was superb.....so please do buy it and build it for us on here........

I for one would love to see one built.

we all learn from such builds.
neil

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2012, 08:12:55 pm »

Bob,

I also have been toying with getting the Dumas Kit, would be interested with whats in the box if you were to get one. O0 O0
It is a decent size, so installing  Radio gear shouldn't be a problem,

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2012, 11:57:25 pm »

well i have paid for it
so lets see if i get it  and how long it takes
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 01:47:07 am »

ok here is an up date the TUNER CLIPPER is in transit  :}

and my ready built RIVA AQUARMA 34" arrived on Friday from Vietnam
here is a link to there site ( workman ship is museum   quality , and packing is very good ) i can post pic but there is plenty on the site

http://www.gianhien.net/model/retail/all/galleryp.htm

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 01:39:47 am »

Bob,

Mate, looks really good and says ready for RC.

Couldn't find any prices, something about being blocked.

Take it they sell one offs, are you able to please indicate some ball park delivery times and costs.

thank you

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:55 am »

yer i emailed them and they only whole sale to world wide distributers (seacraft gallerys in Australia is where i had to get mine from for $320 +shipping of $42 )
they ( vietnam )  will do 15 models  min by shipping container at a good price but dident say what it was :}

the R/C ready is only on the 34" model its just water proofed in side and the aft  deck is removable NO SHAFTS OR RUDDERS  <:(

i like the 67"one  :-))
and two you can set in they must be about 8 to 10 ft long
cheers bob
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 03:55:14 am »

Bob,

It's a pity because they had some nice ones which would look well Radio controlled.

Don't know if you could get somebody local to ship one to OZ.

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 05:07:22 am »

IF we go to Asia again on a cruise i will visit there factory for sure
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 08:46:40 am »

Bob,

It's a pity because they had some nice ones which would look well Radio controlled.

Don't know if you could get somebody local to ship one to OZ.

what model  are you interested in i have a price for the 34"(water proofed removable hatch RIVA AQUARAMA ) if you pick it up from the factory $ 175 AD they are selling
for round $500+ around the traps
and i have a friend that imports art and craft from Vietnam  so he might put it in one of his containers ? ill ask
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 09:10:55 am »

Hi Guys,
Be careful, there are 3 or 4 factories (different companies) around Ho Chi Minh City, and all of differing quality and use.
The factory you link to is on top of the western hobby requirements, the others arn't, as they are mainly producing items for the tourist trade. All usually made well, but not necessarily suitable for R/C conversion. You can also buy the Riva etc as Ready-to-go, with basic R/c, engines etc. Once again of varying use to our hobby.
How do I know?  my wife is Vietnamese and I have spend time there every year, for the past decade.
Hope your successful in obtaining your models, and the price you have is good.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2012, 10:26:28 am »

Hi Guys,
Be careful, there are 3 or 4 factories (different companies) around Ho Chi Minh City, and all of differing quality and use.
The factory you link to is on top of the western hobby requirements, the others arn't, as they are mainly producing items for the tourist trade. All usually made well, but not necessarily suitable for R/C conversion. You can also buy the Riva etc as Ready-to-go, with basic R/c, engines etc. Once again of varying use to our hobby.
How do I know?  my wife is Vietnamese and I have spend time there every year, for the past decade.
Hope your successful in obtaining your models, and the price you have is good.
cheers
vnkiwi

Kiwi,

Thank you, Good advice.
Am I jumping to conclusions that you are exADF.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2012, 10:43:15 am »

Sorry RAAArtyGunner, never been in service, missed out on the ballet for VN service back in the 60's, but a few of my friends back then served with the RNZArmy, flying choppers.
My first trip to VN was with an aussie friend who had a VN wife, and I fell in love with the place and the people.
Is my second home now.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 09:43:34 am »

and old sailing ship i picked up for $30 ,it  is pretty ruff  and most of the plastic cannon are broken ,and some big cracks in the hull so i demasted her and but her in dry dock for a conversion and refit
still waiting for the tuna clipper to arrive 
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 23 queries.