Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ANOTHER 46" FIREBOAT RESTORATION PROJECT  (Read 34020 times)

jamesmb

• Shipmate
Re: ANOTHER 46" FIREBOAT RESTORATION PROJECT
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2013, 10:39:47 pm »

are you using an m5 threaded propshaft ?
if you are model marine supplies of devon  sells the mocom and octra range plus many more , thats where i buy my multi alloy props from , a mocom 2027 for $8.15
james

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 10:19:19 am »

Hi James to
Thanks for that, not decided on the props or the size as yet, going down the cheap plastic prop route, and try different type and size, to get the right set-up, then select the right metal prop...hopefully.. {:-{

Mike

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2013, 05:59:34 pm »

best way Mike, try and use what you already have on other boats, so you can save money by interchanging the props when testing. My 3 footer is m4,
Paul

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2013, 07:40:18 pm »

Hi Paul,
Sure is the way to go..... :-))

All the best
Mike

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2013, 05:02:38 pm »

The Restoration Continues........ <*<

Have been busy with the "FireBoat" this weekend, managed to side-step the house-hold duties, surprising what you can get done.... ;D
First job was to take the dust of the lathe, and make the rudder supports these are from brass, have a groove for an 'o' ring. They are not threaded but will be glued, and a collet will be attached to the support to stop it falling out. I am using bought "extra large rudders", which will probably need trimming after the first water trials.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

The Restoration Continues........ <*< <*<

Rudder positions have been drilled, and ply supports plates have been glue inside the hull, the power train is line-up ready for the prop shafts holes to be mark out......also have painted (white primer) the wheel-house, I am going to have an instrument panel.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2013, 10:18:36 pm »

good work, I'm going to have to pad out my build log to make it look like something is actually happening!

Bet you cant wait to get it wet! :-))

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 06:29:35 pm »

Look forward to getting it wet....but a long way off yet.... <*<

Will give you a call when it happens Paul, so you can be there... :-)

Mike

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2013, 09:50:30 pm »

The Restoration Continues....... <*<

Have done a fair bit over the weekend, have glued 1/4" ply plates in the engine compartment, slotted the middle bulkhead, slotted the hull for the prop shafts. The picture shows the trial fitting of prop shaft and motor/mounting. As mentioned before I'm not having water scoops, and using a water pump to get the water around the motor mount and the ESC.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »

Fitting "P" brackets?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:43 pm »

The Restoration Continues......... <*<

An aerial shot of the hull....next jobs to do before the side skins are glued in place, is to get the rudders set in place, solder lubricating tubes to the propshafts, and once the shafts have been glued in place sort out the drive end.

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2013, 10:24:21 pm »

Hi Ian,
Yes will be fitting them, have only done a trail setup to see what it looks like, have got the material for the "P" brackets.

Cheers
Mike

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:42 am »

Mike.......in real life there is a sequence of prop shaft alignment procedures that we can consider & use in model work  :} ...may sound a little long winded but it will work  O0

1. You appear to have adequate alignment clearances where the prop tubes intersect with the hull base plate
2. There does not appear to be adequate clearance where the prop shaft  intersects the bulkhead aft of the motor........this clearance should be increased
3. After the motor is fixed, the next is the P bracket.....lock this in place, perform the next step 4. & if OK, bond the P bracket mountings with your chosen epoxy
4. Turn the motor over by hand.....it should be free to rotate....if these new style motors exhibit too much magnetic gauss/resistance ...run the motor or minimum voltage & check the current draw
5. Next is the bonding of the prop tubes where they intersect with the hull base plate
6. You could consider some resilient tube washers where the prop tubes intersects the bulkhead aft of the motor
7. With any epoxy mounting, thermal stresses can occur between components & minute distortions occur
8. Turn the motor over again as @ point 4. ... you may meed to release the motor mounting & turn the prop shafts by hand without the motor to confirm the shaft freeness
In real life these days, many large diesel engines are then shimmed & epoxy grouted to attain optimal shaft alignment  :-)) ...................good luck.......Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:44 pm »

One method I used was to run a motor on the lowest voltage ,any sort of error ,and the motor would snag ,it worked for me .

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:54 pm »

Thanks Dave and Derek..... :-))

The advice has been very useful, the only difference is I will be using a solid homemade coupling to line up the motor and propshaft. I have used this method on the boats I have built and not had any problems as yet... {:-{

dave301bounty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 04:45:26 pm »

plus Mike ive gone and got me old theodolite out for the extension we are having ..could have been handy for u

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 08:19:33 pm »

Dave....would have been useful 20 years ago, but have gone onto LAZERS......... %%

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:08 pm »

Hi Mike, I wish I could convince you to fit water cooling pickups, this is the ideal stage to do this, and if you dont use them you dont have to, why drag a pump around in the boat, which will drain your power source, and be noisy, when you can use the water from the lake %%

It just gives you the option if needed, you hav ethe tooling available to make a nice job of it

Paul   

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2013, 11:10:27 am »

I'm convinced...... ok2

Hi Paul,
It was going to be water pick-ups, but when I read about the problems you had, that was the reasoning behind the pump for cooling water. Having the pick-ups will give me 2 options, and I can always turn to the water pump. Byetheway the pump I was considering was a 6volt jobbie from China...use in subs...and only £7.

The Restoration Continues......... <*<

All the best
Mike

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »

great news, Peter made me some up, very slim, the shop bought ones are too thick and cause drag. He kept using those flush ones that go in the hull, I didnt like them. THe cooling worked a treat, it was the visual effect I failed with! I wanted a strong exit of the water to look like exhaust fumes under the water level, but by the time the water had travelled up the 4 foot hull, through the speed controllers, through the mounts, and back down the hull the water pressure had been lost :((  , so it ias a pathetic dribble, but at least it works to cool things!

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2013, 10:41:19 pm »

great news, Peter made me some up, very slim, the shop bought ones are too thick and cause drag. He kept using those flush ones that go in the hull, I didn't like them. The cooling worked a treat, it was the visual effect I failed with! I wanted a strong exit of the water to look like exhaust fumes under the water level, but by the time the water had travelled up the 4 foot hull, through the speed controllers, through the mounts, and back down the hull the water pressure had been lost :((  , so it ias a pathetic dribble, but at least it works to cool things!

Is there a balance at what pressure the water wil not aid cooling, if it is flowing too quickly, such as at high pressure would cooling be reduced.
As for the exhaust, could you tap a branch in the line, such as a 'Y' connector to go straight to exhaust for the visual effect you seek.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2013, 11:24:32 pm »

That's a  great idea! I the y piece.  The cooling is  very effective but your idea is really good thank

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2013, 08:56:05 pm »

Hi Paul
Having convinced me to go down the "Scoop Route".....I'm going down the flush"scoop" route, I have seen the ones done by the place in Warrington they sell double, or single "scoops".  I'm going to get single ones and have 2 separate cooling systems, but havn't decided were the outlets are going to be.

The restoration will continue soon......... <*<

Mike

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2013, 09:46:38 pm »

the place in Warrington

Hi Mike ...what place?

Dave

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2013, 10:42:49 pm »

Hi Dave
Its Prestwich Model Boats, in Golbourne, near Warrington just of the East Lancs Road, have not been there, but the water cooled motor mounts came from there, does mostly I.C. stuff. Has a good web site.

Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.