Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Bulawayo  (Read 4093 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
HMS Bulawayo
« on: December 09, 2012, 08:49:03 pm »

Hi All, does anyone know anything about the ship HMS Bulawayo? What class and whether any plans may exist anywhere? I know the ship was German Navy fast fleet oiler and that it was then taken over for RFA use but was eventually passed onto the RN. As I was born in Bulawayo I thought this might be a nice idea for a future build.

If I cannot get together any plans I will have a look at building the tribal class destroyer HMS Matabele - Matabeleland being the province that Bulawayo is in.

Wayne

mickyrubble

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Bulawayo
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:48:31 pm »

Hi Bulawayo,
 An excellent book on the subject is 'UNDER THREE FLAGS' by Geoffrey  Jones.The ship served under German,American and British flags,hence the title.There is a small scale general layout plan and plenty of good photographs.HMS Bulawayo /Nordmark /Westerwald were all the same ship maybe if you try the names on google may bring results.Or try John Haynes as he has plans for several German supply ships.
Good luck with your build and keep us posted.
Mickyrubble

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »

Thanks Mickyrubble, I will look out for a copy of the book.

Wayne

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
  • magnificus in minisculum
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 12:33:44 pm »

Dear Wayne,

you may find it interesting that the vessel was a Fleet Auxiliary of the DITHMARSCHEN Class, of which 5 ships were commissioned, namely the DITHMARSCHEN, ALTMARK (later re-nmaed UCKERMARK), ERMLAND, NORDMARK (later re-named WESTERWALD) and FRANKEN. You may be able to find more pictures, if you also google the sister ships. The Altmark was the companion of the GRAF SPEE and had an encounter with HMS COSSACK at Narvik in 1940!

some more info on operational history and technical data may be found under www.german-navy.de

I have not found proper drawings yet, but there is a card board model available of the ALTMARK in 1/250 (including hull), which is very detailed. PE parts for the model are also offered.

Some 1:100 models are in Museums in Hamburg and elsewhere.

Take a look:

I know of at least ONE sailing RC Model in 1:100, check this vid out:

http://www.modell-movies.de/video/Motortankschiff-Altmark/a7beedded4bc30fe22d5

The guy must have had some plans...

Cheers,
Lars

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 12:38:50 pm »

Hi Lars, thanks very much for the info which helps considerably - Much appreciated
Wayne

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:02:02 pm »

Wayne,

the guy has a kind of home page: http://www.marinemodell-fotoarchiv.de/fotoarchiv/fotoarchiv_eng.html

It used to show the ALTMARK and had contact details and a guest book. But that seems defunct now.
He is called Peter Behmüller and maybe you reach him via the mail button of the HP.

Here are pictures of his ALTMARK: http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/dkm/altmark/100-pb/index.htm

Seeing were you are coming from and that it concerns the sister ship in RN  / RFA service, he might be willing to share his plans with you!

Cheers,
Lars

PW569

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 04:21:39 pm »

Dear Wayne,

here you can find a further fine example of a model of the class, the FRANKEN. In the picture you will see the GA plan on the wall,
so, I guess the info is out there!

http://www.arbeitskreis-historischer-schiffbau.de/modell/2010/franken/franken.htm

Cheers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.