Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: twin motor setup  (Read 2198 times)

woodyboats

• Shipmate
twin motor setup
« on: December 13, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »

hi all could any tell me whats the best way to setup up my twin motors in my broom 44 firstly it has got 2 6-12 volt model motors direct init and 2 40mm props i will be buying a micro gyro fr40 and want to run it on a 12 volt 7 mah battery could any please tell me whats the best way to set it all up and would i have to put a fuse in it and if so what size i am no good to the electric side so please im asking for your help thanks in advance  :-)

woodyboats

• Shipmate
Re: twin motor setup
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:53:08 pm »

asking for your opinion whats better dual motors in series or parallel

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:03:15 pm »

Hiya Woodyboats,

If you run the motors in series they will only get half the supply voltage. It is best connect them to their own speed controllers via a Y lead from the Receiver.

If you only have one speed controller then there is a chance one motor will run faster than the other.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

woodyboats

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:15:28 pm »

hi tug kenny thanks for your reply i will buy 2 fr40s and try it on a y lead would i need a fuse to put in if so what size would you recommend thanks :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »

You have several choices here.  The main thing is to run a fuse from the battery out to the boat wiring and this could be around 15 amps.

For individual fuses, each motor speed controller can be fused at under their rating. So for a start try a 10 amp in each line.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:34:47 pm »

it might be worth looking at more modern lipo/life type batteries , a pair of 11.1 volt packs will weigh far less than the 12volt 7ah gell , they also take up far less room inside the hull . as for setting up id use twin controllers each with their own fuse , that way should you have the misfortune to collect some debris around one prop you would be able to limp home on the other motor ! 

Bluechrisp

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 05:59:48 pm »

Hi,

I have a two mini Mtroniks ESC operating 2 500 motors in my Tsekoa, working off one 7.2 batt, I have a twin stick Plant contoller plus 6 ch reciever.

At first glance it was a bit of a head scratcher but it all works, most of the time I use one engine and if need to work the model ie pushing or rescuing others, I can slew/ spin in her own length, especially when the rudder is hard over.

I know it doesn't really answer your QU, but it offers you another way of doing things, the Mini esc were about £15 each.

CP

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.