Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Newtown Tragedy  (Read 9475 times)

JayDee

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the VERY Best !
    • JOHN DOWD
The Newtown Tragedy
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:40:57 pm »

Hello,

I would like offer my condolences and sincere sympathy to all the Mothers and Fathers and all the Persons that are suffering in the tragedy of Newtown.

JayDee.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/20734267
My Projects, Photos and Videos
http://www.john-dowd.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Newtown Tragedy
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 11:51:59 pm »

And so would we all.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 12:05:49 am »

Here here.................It has brought me to tears, and those parents and teachers who have lost loved ones and witnessed the carnage will never  fully  recover........a tragic outcome for a country that so specifically wants it, in it's constitution, to "have the right to bear arms"
something wrong somewhere,
God bless them all in these dark times and I can only wish peace upon them.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 01:16:17 am »

Our hearts do go out to all those torn apart by those dreadful events.  Yes let's wish them whatever peace they can find Neil, and let's also wish a little peace for ourselves too. We bear the scars of the many evil acts that the tv news brings into our lives so frequently. There is no comprehension possible for us as to the workings of such sick minds.

Dave

john s 2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:48:19 am »

A truely tragic event. What else can one say? I feel so sad and helpless when i read of things like this. Rip John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 09:25:49 am »

The problem in America is that the gun culture makes it all too easy for sick minds to obtain weapons of mass slaughter. Why do they feel that the civilian population need to be able to buy assault rifles for heaven's sake?

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 09:56:50 am »

Such a selfish, unnecessary waste of innocent lives.... . deepest sympathy to all the families.

I wonder if the 'founding fathers' could have time travelled, 'right to bear arms' would be the first thing to be torn out? (BTW, what the intention of that clause?)

... but how do you fix it retrospectively?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 10:20:35 am »

The 'Right to bear Arms' is enshrined in the US Constitution but that was over 200 years ago when people were running around wearing swords. One might have hoped that civilisation had moved on a bit by now. You look at the Americans with their love of guns (apparently 47% of households have at least one) and then at the Muslim extremists in the Middle East proudly waving their guns around and wonder just how much difference there is...

Colin

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 10:25:38 am »

You would probably have to ask the founding fathers that one Martin, but probably something along the lines of "so that ordinary Americans can take up arms to defend their State or country in any time of war". I don't think they ever thought that when the constitution was written that one line would become so significant in history.

Mark

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

giovanni

• Live Steam Power
  • Full Mayhemer
  • 1906 Stanley Landspeed Record Car
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:49 am »

I live in a gun crazy society where gun owning absolutists rule the country with ridiculous ideas based on a loosely worded US Constitution and translated by the US Supreme Court justices, that states that is a given right, as a US citizen, to bare arms. What is wrong about this is that the US Constitution was written when guns were very primitive and the militia were the people the 2nd amendment in the  US Constitution was written for. Now we have weapons made for killing hundreds of human beings in a matter of seconds. These weapons can be bought at gun shows, the Internet and by private sales, without any background check or waiting period. Over 40% of gun sales are sold in this manner. It is akin to having a gun supermarket next door to an insane asylum .
What is crazy is that an automobile legally requires users license, liability insurance and a disabling switch.
Nothing is required for gun ownership. If there would have been a law making gun owners lock up their guns in a gun safe, this horrendous act of murderous evil may not have happened.
America needs to eliminate all hand gun sales and assault weapons. America would still have enough number of weapons to last another 50 years for more killing sprees like the Newtown massacre. We must begin with the maturation of our society somewhere in time.
I think Piers Morgan has the smartest resolution . Stop selling man-killing guns.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 10:33:20 am »

An act of sheer horror.
The families who mourn the loss of a loved one but they were saved the sight that the emergency teams
Have witnessed and will now never forget.
You have to feel for them all.

Martin google "charleston hestons gun room" and look at the pictures regardless of what the founding fathers said or meant with the regard to the right to bear arms I am pretty sure this is not what they had in mind

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:46 am »

An act of sheer horror.
The families who mourn the loss of a loved one but they were saved the sight that the emergency teams
Have witnessed and will now never forget.
You have to feel for them all.

Martin google "charleston hestons gun room" and look at the pictures regardless of what the founding fathers said or meant with the regard to the right to bear arms I am pretty sure this is not what they had in mind
Although I'm sure he owened some don't think they wer Hestons but another gentleman Named Stern, so just as bad really
http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/gunvault.asp

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

I think Piers Morgan has the smartest resolution . Stop selling man-killing guns.
I think that is the only sensible thing I have ever heard Piers Morgan say other than he was leaving this country for another..........sadly for our US brethren he chose you.

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 10:55:33 am »

Although I'm sure he owened some don't think they wer Hestons but another gentleman Named Stern, so just as bad really
http://www.snopes.com/photos/architecture/gunvault.asp

Larry, as you say regardless who owned there is still 1 question WHY??

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 10:58:50 am »

How very sad.

Deepest condolences to the families who lost a loved one in this tragic event.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 11:05:18 am »

As Many have said Deepest condolences to the families who lost loved a one in this tragic event.

As to Why..We shall again probably never really know killed himself.
And even with this tradgedy I doubt anything will ever change as it will take a very brave politician to try to even get outlawing guns changed. And i think it would take a lot longer than 50 years to get it sorted.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 11:06:32 am »

Martin google "Charlton Hestons gun room" and look at the pictures regardless of what the founding fathers said or meant with the regard to the right to bear arms I am pretty sure this is not what they had in mind

:o

http://tinyurl.com/c6py6d4
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 11:53:00 am »

So sad and a meaningless loss of life America should get in line with other Countries and BAN GUNS

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

Dave

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 12:02:35 pm »

Hmm, ban guns. Yes that works, no-one has died since we did that?

Have a mate that lives in Michigan, and he has a license to carry, local police would take about thirty minutes to get to him in the event of an armed attack on him and his. Ban guns? good idea, but the three coyotes between him and his car would love that and "They're more frightened of humans" brigade?

Not when they're b***dy hungry.

Ban cars, they are the biggest killers. O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ardarossan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »

Despite the population of the United Kingdom not having similar access to guns as our cousins in the United States, lets not forget that we have been subjected to similar events here.

Unfortunately, we have also seen perpetrators of these types of tragedies using a selection of alternate weapons, including Machete's, Grenades, and even a 'Transit' Van in a recent Hit-&-Run spree.

Whilst it is easy to blame 'Guns' and 'Gun Culture', lets not lose sight of the fact that they are just a convenient weapon of choice, and it's the murdering scum-bag using the weapon (any weapon) who is responsible, and not the weapon itself.

Although it isn't an ideal solution, one can only speculate whether the tragic event at Sandy Hook would have been prevented if the school was patrolled by armed security.

Deepest condolences to everyone affected by this tragedy

Andy
How much wood would a Woodchuck chuck, if a Woodchuck would chuck wood?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »

Down here in darkest Surrey you'd be lucky to get any response at all - but then I'm not expecting to be attacked by an armed gang anytime soon.

Andy, I appreciate the argument that guns don't kill people, people kill people which is quite true. But having a gun makes it a heck of a lot easier to kill people. Using close up weapons such as knives etc. is much more difficult as people can run away and the assailant is more likely be be disarmed so the casualty list is likely to be a lot lower than if a gun is used in a given situation.

Also, shooting people is relatively easy, you just point the gun and squeeze the trigger (like a video game I suppose). Sticking knives into people is a lot messier for the assailant.

Quite possibly we have a similar proportion of homicidal mentally disturbed people to the US, the difference ois that over here they are much less likely to have access to firearms. In the few cases that they do then you do get shootings on the US scale.

Possibly if the school had armed security then things might have been different but who wants to live in a society where you need armed guards in schools?

Colin

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 12:42:20 pm »

Yes sadly man can find a way to kill with anything to hand. So only the severest of deterents will reduce the numbers. Nothing will stop it completely.

Society here has chosen not to hang murderers, then we choose to release them later on. Then we cry when some of them murder again..... Quite a few people are slain by previously released murders. Same with rapists and paedos - why do we act so surprised?

Don't you sometimes feel the media revel in these events?

Dave

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 02:10:30 pm »

In most cases the perpetrator takes their own life so deterrents are out of the question.
Guns can be obtained if needed in UK, but nearly all of this type of shooting in US or UK
are by people who already have the weapons in thei posession either legally or illegally.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:25 pm »

are by people who already have the weapons in thei posession either legally or illegally.

How many types are there??????????

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 03:33:34 pm »

Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.