Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IS THE BBC LOSING IT ????  (Read 8450 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
IS THE BBC LOSING IT ????
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »

Just been listening to the BBC National news and North west weather, and the weather girl came up with the announcement that quote!  " the series of showers are becoming more organised throughout the afternoon to become heavy rain towards the end of the afternoon"
Since when have showers had a brain and a mind to "organise" themselves into heavier rain or are they making a take over bid from God?.
Who writes this drivvel for them???

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: IS THE BBC LOSING IT ????
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »

I think the dumbing down of the weather started about 5 years ago, when I heard the weather person refer to 'fluffy clouds'. Meteorology is obviously no longer a science.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

F4TCT

• I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example
  • Full Mayhemer
    • My Boat Builds
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:25:40 pm »

Its obviously not a science, more of guess work considering the weather is never correct.  <*<

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:46:42 pm »

like the thames pageant, where they couldnt possibly show and comment on the boats taking part, so instead we had silly interludes of children being born, art in the rain and other such dumbed down content, to be honest I would rather have had the descriptions of the boats and why they were there, the journeys they had made to get there etc, the few stories I did hear were epic tales just to get to the pageant (and some even more epic tales of the return trips) eg my friends 40 foot wooden norfolk broads cruiser, which encountered 8 foot swells in a force 3 seas on the return trip from the thames to Lowestoft (in a boat never designed to be seagoing- with only a 40hp engine)
Grendel

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 04:42:34 pm »

Mostly agreed about the dumbing down and presenters massaging their own egos, but the description of fragmented weather patterns coalescing into something different as "becoming organised" has been in use for many years.  What I object to is the assumption that weather only consists of temperature and whether it is raining or not, with the implication that the general public is too dumb to understand that there is wind, with speed and direction, unless there is going to be lots of it.  Trouble is, I suspect that they are right.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 06:03:06 pm »

like the thames pageant, where they couldnt possibly show and comment on the boats taking part, so instead we had silly interludes of children being born, art in the rain and other such dumbed down content, to be honest I would rather have had the descriptions of the boats and why they were there, the journeys they had made to get there etc, the few stories I did hear were epic tales just to get to the pageant (and some even more epic tales of the return trips) eg my friends 40 foot wooden norfolk broads cruiser, which encountered 8 foot swells in a force 3 seas on the return trip from the thames to Lowestoft (in a boat never designed to be seagoing- with only a 40hp engine)
Grendel

I wonder who is "Loosing the Plot "

One minute you are slagging the BBC the next you are praising an irresponsible person on taking a boat designed for piddling about on calm waterways into the North Sea (in a boat never designed to be seagoing- with only a 40hp engine) with no regard to the people on board or the lives of those who would have to come out and rescue them if they were in trouble.
Bit of a double standard here.

George.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 06:17:23 pm »

watch the bbc news or weather I,ed sooner eat my own liver.
              Regards Howard.

inertia

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 06:21:27 pm »

.............with some Fava beans and a nice Chianti, I hope..............

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 06:31:36 pm »

"Here is a photo of some Ducks walking on frozen water"        %)

Look North weather forcast last week.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »

They do usually get the weather right - it's just the timing of it they get wrong.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:39:04 pm »

What's happened to "The Beast From The East" that was gleefully reported as making all our lives a misery? Last Wednesday (the day promised that this great storm would hit us) I was really looking forward to getting some dramatic photos of our part of the coast being severely battered. What happened? Zich is what happened. A relatively "warm" day, clear blue skies and not a breath of wind. If it's at all possible the Met. boffins got their forecast 200% wrong. Any idiot with the slightest knowledge of Isobars and wind circulation could see how wrong "they" were going to be......except Isobars are not (nowadays) shown accurately. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 07:52:32 pm »

I wonder who is "Loosing the Plot "

One minute you are slagging the BBC the next you are praising an irresponsible person on taking a boat designed for piddling about on calm waterways into the North Sea (in a boat never designed to be seagoing- with only a 40hp engine) with no regard to the people on board or the lives of those who would have to come out and rescue them if they were in trouble.
Bit of a double standard here.

George.
they had planned the trip both ways for a maximum 3 foot swell, they had meticulously planned and had all the safety equipment necessary, all were seasoned ex naval personnel and they were maintaining an hourly contact with the coastguard.
the problem came when the forecasted weather changed while they were on route, the sea cam from a different quarter than forecast. though one crew member secummed to sea sickness the others maintaned a constant watch over the boat and the waves and the boat handled the situation very well (a testament to the work that had been put in restoring the boat and the preparations for the voyage) travelling in such conditions was never envisioned but plans had been put in place for such an eventuality as we all know that at sea the weather can change on a whim. though the boat was never designed to go to sea it handled it well, they even prepared to answer a fellow ships mayday call (but were relieved to hear the lifeboats respond) If  they had been ill prepared yes I would have called them irresponsible, instead they had taken all of the necessary courses, they had even taken a trip over the route planned in a royal naval vessel (favour from an ex colleague) to preview their route, the forecast they had recieved before starting was favourable, but once started the options to head for an alternate port was ruled out by the direction the seas were coming from, unlucky with the weather yes, irresponsible I dont think so.
they made the southward journey a week early to fall in with the best crossing conditions and had a flat calm and less swell than they have in the past encountered on the vessels home waters, the forecasted weather was well within the boats capabilities.
As for the BBC's coverage - compared to what has been achieved at royal events in the past, it was truly second rate and a totally different plot to the achievements of the ships taking part in the pageant,  many ships present were not designed to be seagoing, yet made sea voyages to get there, many of the seagoing designed ships present were smaller and less capable than those that made the trip.
Grendel

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 08:07:41 pm »

maybe they just made the mistake of listening to the bbc weather forecast?... does that make them irresponsible :)
Grendel

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »

In defence of weather presenters, at least, the Australian ones - most weather presenters that I have seen lately are qualified meteorologists, and give a very clear and scientific account of past and forecast weather events. We are told why events happened, and what to expect in the next week, and why. Weather influencing factors such as wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure etc are given, together with temperatures, both actual and forecast. Obviously I can only speak for the areas where I watch TV, but we travel around a fair slice of eastern Australia, and all the weather presenters I have seen do an excellent job.

Having said that, weather forecasting is not an exact science, and I sometime think I could do just as good a job by looking outside at the sky {-)

Peter.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 10:19:34 pm »

Not just the BBC - ITV news has just discussed the 12000 murders in the US of which 8500 were gun related ...."over half of the murders" now even in the simplest of fractions that is over two thirds. <*<

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »

there are some crackers that celebs make......
was many years ago watching Blue Peter, where our "celebrated" TV chef and Norwich City chairperson ( pc correct for a change....what am I doing, lol) was cutting the Blue Peter Birthday cake......and said on a childrens' programme..."now I'll just cut this cake into three halves???"
and we wonder why the standard of education is going through the floor in ceetain subjects..........I dispair.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 01:04:48 am »

In defence of weather presenters, at least, the Australian ones - most weather presenters that I have seen lately are qualified meteorologists, and give a very clear and scientific account of past and forecast weather events. We are told why events happened, and what to expect in the next week, and why. Weather influencing factors such as wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure etc are given, together with temperatures, both actual and forecast. Obviously I can only speak for the areas where I watch TV, but we travel around a fair slice of eastern Australia, and all the weather presenters I have seen do an excellent job.

Having said that, weather forecasting is not an exact science, and I sometime think I could do just as good a job by looking outside at the sky {-)

Peter.

Peter is absolutely correct.
I can recall an incident, during when the weather was being presented, that the presenter changed the forecast to raining now, as he had looked out the window. Very up to date forecast  {-) {-) {-)
Our forecasts are usually every 12 hours, at least in Queensland but a lot can happen in 12 hours.
I find using my local weather radar, and satellite images, which we can  access on line, to be far more accurate than some of the forecasts.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 03:16:49 am »

Here in Canada they are really good at forecasting but then it is winter for 6 months & when the forecast says -15c we don't really notice another 10 degrees colder if they are wrong, we are already dressed like Eskimo's, we have three temperatures, cold, very cold, & bl--dy awful. Take your pick. But it sure upsets the mosquito's, it is hard to find open skin at  -40c. So you see there is always a bright side.Mick B.   
Mick B.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 07:58:58 am »

Here in Canada they are really good at forecasting but then it is winter for 6 months & when the forecast says -15c we don't really notice another 10 degrees colder if they are wrong, we are already dressed like Eskimo's, we have three temperatures, cold, very cold, & bl--dy awful. Take your pick. But it sure upsets the mosquito's, it is hard to find open skin at  -40c. So you see there is always a bright side.Mick B.   

A bit like finnish weather from december to february

Cold with snow.... how cold and how much is pretty much irrelevant
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 11:23:44 am »

they had planned the trip both ways for a maximum 3 foot swell, they had meticulously planned and had all the safety equipment necessary, all were seasoned ex naval personnel and they were maintaining an hourly contact with the coastguard.
the problem came when the forecasted weather changed while they were on route, the sea cam from a different quarter than forecast. though one crew member secummed to sea sickness the others maintaned a constant watch over the boat and the waves and the boat handled the situation very well (a testament to the work that had been put in restoring the boat and the preparations for the voyage) travelling in such conditions was never envisioned but plans had been put in place for such an eventuality as we all know that at sea the weather can change on a whim. though the boat was never designed to go to sea it handled it well, they even prepared to answer a fellow ships mayday call (but were relieved to hear the lifeboats respond) If  they had been ill prepared yes I would have called them irresponsible, instead they had taken all of the necessary courses, they had even taken a trip over the route planned in a royal naval vessel (favour from an ex colleague) to preview their route, the forecast they had recieved before starting was favourable, but once started the options to head for an alternate port was ruled out by the direction the seas were coming from, unlucky with the weather yes, irresponsible I dont think so.
they made the southward journey a week early to fall in with the best crossing conditions and had a flat calm and less swell than they have in the past encountered on the vessels home waters, the forecasted weather was well within the boats capabilities.
As for the BBC's coverage - compared to what has been achieved at royal events in the past, it was truly second rate and a totally different plot to the achievements of the ships taking part in the pageant,  many ships present were not designed to be seagoing, yet made sea voyages to get there, many of the seagoing designed ships present were smaller and less capable than those that made the trip.
Grendel

Hi Grendel,
Thanks for the lengthy explanation
However I must stand by my original comments, it surprises me that Ex- Navy personnel should take a boat out onto the North Sea that was never designed for the changes in weather condition that occur around our coast line, wonder what would have happened if the weather had changed to the conditions experience at the week end up North where a supply boat to the riggs was disabled and a crew man died and countless buildings in Aberdeenshire were completely destroyed.
We all have our opinions of what is right and what is wrong so in this case I must agree to disagree with you.
George.

yorkiej

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 12:30:56 am »

Yes!!! :-)) :-)) ;D

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:52 am »

Our Peter Fitness notes....."most weather presenters that I have seen lately are qualified meteorologists"....there is a little more to this Peter  O0 in fact most Australian forcasters that work for the Commenwealth  Government Weather Bureau are also mathematician's  %% and some have a double university Degree in the subject [maths].....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 10:37:41 am »

Our Peter Fitness notes....."most weather presenters that I have seen lately are qualified meteorologists"....there is a little more to this Peter  O0 in fact most Australian forcasters that work for the Commenwealth  Government Weather Bureau are also mathematician's  %% and some have a double university Degree in the subject [maths].....Derek

Hi Derek,
It's a similar situation in the U.K.  and the Met office as far as I am aware are employed by the BBC so it must be difficult for the BBC to monitor some mistakes as most weather bulletins go out live.

George.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:58 am »

Is it just me or do the majority of weather presenters (plus a lot of the 'experts' called in for interview) nowadays seem to be young, female and just out of university.
sometimes its nice to see the older presenters (experts) that clearly know their subject, rather than the ones that just have the 'book learning' and no experience.
could it possibly be they are chosen for their photogenic appearance
rather than their actual knowledge?
Grendel

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2012, 11:59:23 am »

Is it just me or do the majority of weather presenters (plus a lot of the 'experts' called in for interview) nowadays seem to be young, female and just out of university.
sometimes its nice to see the older presenters (experts) that clearly know their subject, rather than the ones that just have the 'book learning' and no experience.
could it possibly be they are chosen for their photogenic appearance
rather than their actual knowledge?
Grendel

Shock, horror, not in Australia we only use typical Aussie girls as weather presenters %) %) %) %) %) 
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.