Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batteries and Diodes  (Read 1790 times)

• Full Mayhemer
Batteries and Diodes
« on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:23 pm »

I think I understand this but would like other folks to concur. I have two NiHM 4700 mah 7.2V running two 400 6V motors thru one ESC. also there is a BEC to the RX for two servos and another motor for Eagel tank I was told to diodes in the circuit to prevent damage and fire. So the diode should be on each battery + side Right Any idea what type diode I should use I thought I reaf that the diode should be rated @ 1.5 X the peak V

Thanks John

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Batteries and Diodes
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:56:33 pm »

Hi
Unless I am missing something in your post I believe that you put a fuse into the circuit not a diode. I got some fuse holders off fleabay that take car type blade fuses.
Dave.

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:13:46 pm »

I think you'tre referring to the diodes that fit across the limit switches on the tank.

These are not there for protection, they're there to allow the tank to start winding in the opposite direction when the limit switch has actuated cutting the throat to the motor. Voltage should be a healthy multiple of the system voltage, and the diodes should be able to sink at least double the tanks current. They only need to conduct for a brief time, but during that time the tank motor will pull close to stall voltage when first starting up.

I'd go for power diodes e.g. the ones at the top of the page will do you nicely. http://futurlec.com/DiodesPower.shtml#6ASeries

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:24:38 pm »

Ah, you're talking submarines........forget I spoke!   :embarrassed:

Dave

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 12:58:44 am »

Correct Subs but my concern on the diodes is keeping the batteries from having voltage crossing over to a "weaker " or "dead " battery

Thanks

inertia

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:51:44 am »

This device will do that job http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P103.pdf
Available from Component Shop
DM
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.