Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Italeri LCVP  (Read 6389 times)

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
Italeri LCVP
« on: December 22, 2012, 10:42:10 pm »

My new little project just for a bit of fun Italeri 1:35 LCVP need to find a very small battery pack, receiver and speed control

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Italeri LCVP
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 03:39:25 am »

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 07:21:05 am »

Mine has a Speed 265, a £5 brushed controller from HobbyKing, a Spektrum 6110 and a 300mAh 2S LiPo in it. The battery is hidden in a water tank in the load bay. Goes nicely.

Steve

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:15:17 am »

Steve J: Build thread? Is there one? Would love to see your results.
~Harq

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:09:01 am »

Would love to see your results.

As requested  :-) .

I'm probably going to replace the water tank with a jeep and a it's going to get a couple more figures and some more clutter. With the gear that I have in her, she needs the battery up front to sit nicely in the water. 20mm Graupner plastic prop, homemade brass rudder.

Steve

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »

Fantastic. Fine work shoehorning all the components into the hull.

I'm not real familiar with this kit although I do have the 1/32 Lindberg LCVP which is similar. Is there any room for a flat style of battery or maybe some AA's wired together underneath the cargo deck (where the vehicles are carried)? How deep is this area?

Also, it is nice to see Graupner provide a purpose-built motor for small models; takes the guess work out of it. If I'm not mistaken, this motor might be based on an FK/FF-180SH motor which, while more generic, can be had for less.
~Harq

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:34:34 pm »

A Speed 265 is £5.... A motor salvaged from a servo is another option.

I don't think that you would get AA's under the cargo bay and I suspect that they would be too heavy anyway. A small 2S LiPo opened out could probably been made to fit.

Steve

TomP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

Looks good Steve, thought it would be a little cramped. I've got a motor out of one of my little boys cars, got a miniature servo for the rudder just need speed control and receiver. I have a jeep with a trailer in the kit going to use the trailer to hold the battery bit like you're water tank. Thought it would be interesting little model to make. Cheers Tom

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 05:39:41 pm »

I have a jeep with a trailer in the kit going to use the trailer to hold the battery bit like you're water tank.

The supplied jeep/trailer combination is too long for the cargo bay ......

Steve

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 08:38:34 am »

try action electronics or the ectronic circuit from a servo

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Webmaster, Marine Modelers Club of New England
    • Marine Modelers Club of New England
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:24:14 am »

I converted the Lindberg 1/32 scale LCVP to RC about 30 years ago.  The Lindberg boat is a few mm bigger than the Italeri kit.  Like many of the old kits form the 60's the kit was originally designed to be motorized, as a free-sailer.   Because of that, the kit is designed with a battery compartment underneath the cargo deck.

Back then, the RC gear was a good bit bigger than it is today.  I could fit the rudder servo under the aft deck, and the nicad battery under the cargo deck.   I used a disassembled servo for the motor and ESC combo-- it fit under the boat's motor box. 

I still needed a place for the receiver,  so I hid it in a truck.  I build a 1/35 Italeri 3/4 ton Dodge WC51 track, and kit the receiver under the truck's tarp.

The model was only a limited success-- it was very slow.  That was a function of two things-- the inefficient home made prop, and the extra weight from carrying around the plastic truck model.  I would guess that, if I was to build one today, with modern RC gear and a decent prop, it would be a better model.
Webmaster and Newsletter Editor
Marine Modelers Club of New England

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »

Yes, there appears to be quite a bit of room in there (Lindberg LCVP). My version was produced as a static model but it still retains its ability to be converted to RC and that extra bit of size can only be of benefit.

Is the kit prop not sufficient for good speed/power? If memory serves it has three blades and decent pitch.

I had envisioned making the ramp spring loaded and driving out a RC 1/35 scale Willy's Jeep when the shoreline was reached...
~Harq

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2013, 02:21:24 am »

Is the kit prop not sufficient for good speed/power? If memory serves it has three blades and decent pitch.

I had envisioned making the ramp spring loaded and driving out a RC 1/35 scale Willy's Jeep when the shoreline was reached...

As I recall, the prop was small, with thick blades.  I thought I could do better,  but I'm not sure I did.

Because of the weight my boat carried, I sealed the bow ramp to make sure it wouldn't leak, especially given that the cargo deck isn't watertight.

A couple of years ago, I converted the Trumpeter 1/35 scale LCM-3 to RC.   I used a pair of 1/4 scale servos for power, and simple two channel radio.  The motors were on a Y cable.  The motors, receiver, and rudder servo all fit under the aft deck.  The battery, a 2000MAh NiMh, fit under the cargo deck. 
I made the bow ramp moveable-- in case I ever wanted to animate it.  I was thinking I'd rig it so that I could run up to the beach, and then use full rudder, plus full trim, to release a catch that lets the ramp fall open.....

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 11:48:32 am »

Yes, the LCM-3 would've been my other suggestion. Has anyone here converted one? There's actually two of these available in 1/35; the Trumpeter (which has been criticized for having its hull too deep) and the Italeri LCM-3 which is more, if not perfectly, proportional.

I like how these landing craft are more represented in these modern times. Lindberg had had for the longest time the only kits available of any type of amphibious assault ship; LST, LCVP, LCI and an LCT Mk 5 which was commonly marketed as an LCU (might even be an actual LCU, there's no consensus on either one it seems).

Here is someone trying to convert an LCM-3 with what looks like an operating bow ramp with some kind of micro switch involved...
~Harq

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »

the LCM-3 would've been my other suggestion.

I have done the Italeri LCM 3 in addition to the LCVP. Goes nicely with a pair of Speed 265's on 2S LiPo.

Steve

rcboater1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 05:51:49 pm »

Yes, the LCM-3 would've been my other suggestion. Has anyone here converted one?

Ummm,  yes,  I have--  see my post immediately above yours...... ok2

I chose the Trumpeter kit because the slightly over scale depth of the hull gave more room for installing things-- there is enough room between the well deck and the hull bottom to fit a standard flat pack NiMh battery.

Harquebus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 09:40:34 pm »

Right. My mistake. Guess I was looking for other examples/build threads besides yours but the intent got lost somewhere between the brain and the keyboard.  :D

Regarding the use of the over-size Trumpeter kit, where's the challenge in that? One is supposed to have to make all kinds of concessions because of space limitations and figure out some crafty solutions. You took the easy way out!  {-) ;) :-))
~Harq
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.