Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Norwich Submarine Event : July 27, 2013 - July 28, 2013
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: norwich Submarine Event 2013  (Read 14694 times)

AL 1

• Full Mayhemer
Re: norwich Submarine Event 2013
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 10:59:39 am »

will the pond be clear of weed for the sub weekend?

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:32 pm »

Hello, the Yachties who sail every Saturday (except sub weekend) have been keeping it clear as they have to, I have been told its not been tooooooo bad as weve not had the hot weather of previous summers.

Paul
Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club
Association Of Model Submariners

AL 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:29 pm »

I was only asking as I was there last Tuesday and there was quite a lot of weed beneath the surface

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

Hi Sundodgers,the pond is reasoably clear of weed but we are going to clear  away what is left within the next week or so
Just a quick heads up to anyone looking for a bargain,I will be selling a few of my subs.there is a Resolution,an Ohio and a Type seven,all in running order,a half built Trafalgar,a half built Darnell S type and an original R&R Type XXI in semi kit form
Hope this makes things interesting
Regards Donuts

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2013, 12:06:46 pm »

A few years ago I was having short break in Norfolk, and I visited Barton broad, which was subject to a conservation program to clear the broad of weed, algae etc.

Pollution from insecticides, sewage products had turned the once clear broads into an unpleasant soup. Much vegetation had been cleared from the broad, and over abundance of fish removed, and water daphnia introduced- these eat algae. Habitats for these little critters were established, as the fish love to eat them, so this gives them somewhere to hide away. The results spoke for themselves when I visited- the water was gin clear. more information on the project here-

http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/projects/barton-broad.html

Perhaps if you were to introduce daphnia  to your pond, and set aside a small portion of the pond to Norfolk reed, you could provide a self sustaining and natural method of leaching nutrients out of the water and deal with the issue of weed at the source.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2013, 10:13:12 pm »

Hi Subculture,on the face of it your idea is environmentally sound and self sustaining once established,the only drawback is that the pond is a  council  amenity and the club only pays rent.The council has tried to keep on top of things but rea answerable to english heritage and the national lottery who ,as you know,work at glacial pace and not much seems to move in a positive direction.Bearing this in mind and becoming frustrated in its attempts to look after what is now a national not county amenity the club has been maintaining and cleaning the pond at its own expense while being hamstrung with all sorts of things that the council and anglian water say that we can and cannot do or use.We had tried to use barley straw but anglian water do not list it as an algicide.If we paid for testing at their labs then they might let use it cost about 300.000.00 I dare not think what the council ecologists would say about a tried and tested suggestion such as yours without implementing a feasability study and environmental impact report,bearing in mind the health and safety issues involved with chemists paddling about in knee deep water without using chemical suits and lifejackets.The council insists that we wear these whensetting out the steering course,by the way,the council has requested that as Norwich is a nuclear free zone,could all visiting submariners please power down their reactors and remove all fissionable warheads from their boats (serious) I want to cry but still look forward to seeing you all at the pond
Regards donuts

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:28 am »

Hi Admiral,
Less than 2 weeks to go!
 Looking forward to it. Let's hope the fine weather lasts. Thanks in advance to Norwich MBC and a reciprocal invitation from FMBC to our sub day  at Barrow in Furness in September.

David

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 11:36:56 am »

SatNav Post Code:  NR4 7AZ

what are the arrangements for car parking?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »

Hi all,Cars can be parked at the pondside,(please reverse to the pond side)Access is via our new gate some 60 feet from the clubhouse,Tea and Coffee are all free ,tables are available for your boats,gates open at  08.30 am both days ALMOST ALL WEED HAS BEEN ERADICATED.This Years event is going to be really something
Regards Donuts

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:51 am »

Hi all, i cannot unfortunatly be there this year on the saturday due to holiday cover at work, but i will be there on sunday.

Im looking foreward to it!!!

Paul
Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 09:38:26 pm »

Hoping to come, which is the busier day?

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Typhoon924

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 12:45:19 pm »

Hi what time does the even finish on sunday, can only make that day, but just wondered how early to get there due to the 3 hours ish drive..

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 05:00:55 pm »

Martin(admin) the busier day is going to be the sunday me thinks as more people have emailed me about the sunday.
Typhoon 924, the event is "officially" 10am to 4pm, but people will be there at 8am!
Its normally all done by 5pm realistically! as the Gate to the park to get your car out will have to be locked.
Paul
Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »

not long now just a few hours sleep and at 05:00hr we will be making our way to Norwich

Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

Typhoon924

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 08:35:34 pm »

Absolutely brilliant afternoon, great fun great place great people many thanks to the organisers..really well done.. :-)

ken224

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 08:55:22 pm »

Great weekend cracking lake and clubhouse . Nice friendly people and an amazing variety of subs from present day right back to tbe 1800,s . Well worth the 560 mile round trip.

salmon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 08:59:57 pm »

Photos?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »

Hi Guys,As officer of the day (saturday)and assistant on sunday,I want to thank all visiting sundodgers and spouses for making the long journeys to Norwich.I really enjoyed every second of the event and saw some truely awsome submarines.the water was crystal clear and weed free,the atmosphere was very friendly and helpfull.All things taken into consideration I feel very priviledged to have been part of what I consider an elite band of modellers,Photographs of the event will be published as soon as possible once Paul Cook has put Harry and U.S.S Lionfish to bed.Harry sailed this boat all day long without incident and showed great skill in avoiding other craft,Not at all bad for a ten year old !!! ,well done young man,Paul ,You must be proud of him,I am !!!Sadly and in closing,This will be my last patrol as ill health has taken its toll on my dexterity and I want to go out on a high.Once again Guys and gals thanks for your support and kind comments
Over and out,Geoff Johnson

thegrimreaper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 11:27:05 pm »

would like to echo ken224`s comments was well worth the trip great atmosphere very friendly crew from the club was nice to put names to faces and also some great looking subs will throw some pictures ans a few video links up when I have sorted them out thanks again to the organisers

Regards Mark.
Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.

U-33

• Full Mayhemer
  • K-157 Vepr. Akula-11
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 06:56:19 am »

Another grand weekend by the sounds of things, well done to the organisers, and thanks to Norwich Model Boat Club for all their hard work.

Geoff, sorry to hear of your problems mate, hope things will improve soon for you, mate. On behalf of the membership of the Association of Model Submariners, we would like to express out thanks to you for your hard graft over the years in organising this event for model submariners everywhere, you've earned a break, so now relax, put your feet up, and get well.

Regards,

Rich
Rich

K-157 Vepr. Akula-II (project 971U)
---------------------------------------------------------------

~~~~~~~  "Motorflotes need love too...."  ~~~~~~~

MotorFlote build log : http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15222.0.html

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 07:26:34 am »

Hi all, I can only echo the comments made by all, sadly I was not able to do the Saturday, but was there from 8am till 4.30 on the Sunday, (I had to leave early on the sunday so we could celebrate Harry's upcoming 11th birthday today, 30th July). As I wont see him for another 2 weeks.
My fellow club mate Geoff, fellow model submariner but most of all my friend is bowing out due to ill health.
Geoff, I remember those first days back in 1994 ish, when you came up to the pond and we discovered we lived just round the corner from each other, how time has flown - all I can say is don't be a stranger!!
Thanks to all that came and made the long journey.
I started these Norwich Submarine Days back in 1993, this was the 20th anniversary one, there will be a 21st!
I will get some pictures on here.
Paul
Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club

upscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 07:41:11 am »

OK all, I did just try to post a few pictures, but it failed to upload, I have to head off to work now guys, but in the words of the terminator - ill be back!

Paul Cook
Norwich Model Boat Club

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 02:35:55 pm »

Email the photos to me if you can't!

martin@modelboatmayhem.co.uk

BTW, have a look at:
http://cubeupload.com/
http://www.imgjoe.com/   

Photo should still be resized to 640 x 480  :-))

Davy1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Association of Model Submariners
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 04:38:49 pm »

A great weekend!

Many thanks to the organisers of Norwich MBC and to everyone who attended. Really nice to meet everyone.

Thanks also to Norwich MBC for letting us hold our AMS AGM on the Sunday.

Photos etc. soon - I may hold Martin to his word, since I have trouble posting photos.

Hope you can hold it again next year because you have definitely got yourselves the premium model sub event in the UK.

David

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 05:29:37 pm »

Open a photobucket account free by the way. Upload the pics and use the image links to post the photos onto mayhem no resizing!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.