Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: trawlers  (Read 11276 times)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: trawlers
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 07:27:56 pm »

Hi Davie....Just found the address for Cochranes Archives they are no longer in Hull museum.......It is now;-  Ellen Tout, "".archivist....North Yorkshire CC...Record office...Malpas Rd...Northallerton....North Yorkshire..DL7 8TB....Tele;- 01609 777585..Rod

you survived Rochdale then??? %% %% %%

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2012, 08:01:26 pm »

did mr & mrs even find there way to Rochdale then? and back as well???

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 08:24:41 pm »

Listen Laurel and Hardy...My baby Ferrari can go anywhere... :-))   {-)   {-) ....Rod
trawlerman

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 08:52:17 pm »

Think the Cochranes archive is in the Hull Museum Rod , Slug the Gaul was lost due to , of all things , defective offal dump chute valves. Her sisters all suffered from flooding in the processing deck because the flap gate was made from 2 types of metal that corroded and kept jamming the opening in the open position.

hi davie   your comments on the offal chute seem quite viable to me,,, i sailed on the A, B, & C class  from early 68 to late 1974,   the ranger aurora my 1st ship for the company,  run by purdy trawlers (ranger fishing co) a subsiduary of p&o,   the offal chute often toook in large ammounts of water when trawling in heavy seas, more so beam on seas, when working the factory deck,   but when not in use the chute was always locked down, well it was by me, i often worked the baeder 188 filleting machine and the chute was right next to me,  as soon as the last fillets went through and all guts were dumped the chute was always locked down with habit, before going on deck to haul the gear back up,   what still puzzels me is the large 14ft gash in the hull just below the waterline on port side under the anchor pocket,  she landed on a sandy bottom, the gash in the hull is buckled in over,  not out over as the report states it may of been an implode, that woud show damaged plates buckled out over,   i lost a lot of good shipmates that day and it still troubles me as to why such a ship as the C  class, known as the floating hiltons sunk,           i also have lots of pics of my years with ranger fishing co, if any one would like to see them i will gladly post on this thread,,,,, regards brian_c

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2012, 09:48:57 pm »

think she was caught a few times by trawlers in the 70's and 80's Brian so good chance some of the damage on her is due to trawl doors hitting her. Even though its a soft bottom she landed on it would still have been a big hit , from memory watching the documentary she's in about 80fm of water so would've hit the bottom at 15-20 knots and that could well have led to the tear in the hull just with the impact I guess.

I've read the report they did on her sister in the aftermath of the loss where they clearly identify serious problems with the chute closing gear , the Kurd ( was still fishing as the Kappin at Iceland up till recently ) had hers replaced due to another flood in poor weather after she was sold out of the UK the other 2 sisters are still around 1 is an oil field seismic survey ship the other is a fishery research trawler down in Australia so nothing wrong with the design or the sea keeping of the ships just the chute flaps were very poorly designed and the boys got very unlucky that night.

I think the conspiracy lot can rest easy with the Gaul Brian its poor design of one of the cheapest components aboard and bad weather that led to her loss that night not the Russians. Thats not to say the trawler fleet didn't spy on the Russians as its a proven fact that the Hull and Grimsby fleets did it on a regular basis as did the Granton , Fleetwood and Aberdeen boats from time to time.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2012, 10:07:43 pm »

Listen Laurel and Hardy...My baby Ferrari can go anywhere... :-))   {-)   {-) ....Rod

I resemble that....but which one  ??? {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2012, 10:27:22 pm »

hi davie,,, i dont believe in that conspiracy crap same as you dont, i think they all were just clutching at straws hoping maybe some crew were still alive,

it was just another awful tragedy and a sad loss to the industry

as regarding the spying, yes it went on, we had a naval officer with us on ranger boreas 1970, while fishing off the russian coast and often seen ruskie warships shadowing us, he stayed the full trip then never saw him again, but that trip we had several new airials fitted and still have the pics,  they also removed all the heavy mooring bollards from all the other c class after the Gaul sank and replaced them with light alloy bollards, and i can still say,,, it was a great life on the trawlers and never had any regrets,     regards brian_c

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2012, 12:36:06 am »

i also have lots of pics of my years with ranger fishing co, if any one would like to see them i will gladly post on this thread,

Yes I'd be interested to see them Brian.
Dave

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:55 am »

first pic is ranger aurora 1968 2nd pic is ranger boreas 1969

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:51 am »

ranger aurora fishing at barents sea 1968

ranger apollo mooring at north shields after a 5 week trip to northern norway

these pics are a bit grainy, but considering they were taken with a box brownie in the sixties, they are not to bad

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

1st pic ranger aurora 1968

2nd pic aurora again (a sight i liked to see) gates closed and steaming home after a 6 week trip around bear island and north cape

3rd pic is the m t blankenese renamed ranger boreas after 2 trips she was 243ft long,  a big trawler for the late 60,s

trawlerman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 10:52:50 am »

Hi Brian...Like the pictures, gives an insight to the hazards of all trawlermen...Rod
trawlerman

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 11:18:19 am »

pic 1 hauling time on the boreas

pic 2 thats me back in 69 on ranger briseis, steaming to fishing grounds

pic 3 ranger boreas in honningsvag, stan on left of the pic was lost on the gaul

left to right is stan fred spug geordie chuck and mel, mels the only one left now in this pic

pic 4 steaming to fishing grounds  making up the nets

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2012, 12:28:50 pm »

pic 1 is the altona  hamburg, sister to the rangers, boreas and briseis

pic 2 shore leave on the aurora in honningsvaag  (happy times)    harry spug & mel

pic 3  is the icelandic gunboats thor & aeiger

pic 4 moored up in honningsvaag   (stan jimbo & crew member from southella (hull)

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2012, 12:43:52 pm »

thank you for sharing the pictures with us slug

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »

pic 1 is the hull trawler southella  we were swapping movies off north cape,,,  i will never forget that swap,, we gave them (HANG EM HIGH & ZULU,,,      we got (HALF A SIXPENCE & TAMING OF THE SHREW,,,,  just the films that 36 rough n ready fishermen want to watch, err nah

PIC 2 is the newly finished cordella  j marr & sons hull before we took her on seatrials in 1974

pic 3 is the ranger aurora 1970 steaming out of honningsvaag

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2012, 01:19:29 pm »

pic 1 happy times steaming to the fishing grounds on the ranger castor (gaul)

pic 2 on the ranger castor, hosepipe fun 1972stan & sonny

pic 3 bridge front of ranger castor renamed (gaul) a few months later and sunk on 8-9 feb 1974 all hands lost

pic 4 showing trawl deck and gantry ranger castor 1972

pic 5 port side trawl deck just after shooting the nets and doors, ranger castor 1973

hope you have enjoyed the pics of my years with ranger fishing co.  regards brian_c

slug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2012, 06:18:47 am »

thank you for sharing all te pictures with mayhem members,you seem a happy bunch.abygone era never to come back...thanks...tony

irishcarguy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Happiness is running from a grizzly and escaping
    • Britishcars International. org.
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2012, 07:23:48 am »

Thanks for a great batch of pictures & the history that goes with them. Our food supply of fish is pretty cheap when you start to see the effort & the danger that fishermen accept every day doing their job & that most people have little idea of what it takes & the risks involved. (me included) Mick B.
Mick B.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 12:28:18 pm »

Hi Brian
I have to agree with all Mick said above re our fish. Thanks for posting the pics - the more the merrier for me O0
Dave
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.