Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model boat Radio Control  (Read 1494 times)

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
Model boat Radio Control
« on: December 29, 2012, 08:31:10 pm »

I have a couple of complete models waiting for the water and have RC installed but am not sure about arial length. I have a Futaba system with speed controllers and have checked the system but with the arial coiled within the boat. Will it increase distance of reception if I extend the arial and how. It has been mentioned that the arial length is critical. I have a Fairey Huntsman and Liverpool Tug.
Help please, many thanks.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model boat Radio Control
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 08:52:40 pm »

the areal wire attached to the receiver is a set length for the frequency used......27 or 40 megs, and this really shouldn't be tampered with..........I have my areals coiled inside my boat rather than running up the mast and have no problems with it sailing up to 100 metres distance away so long as the receiver and tranny batteries are charged well............and if you want to sail further than that, I have to ask WHY???

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:41 pm »

Hi
The aerial must remain the same length so don't go cutting it shorter. I run mine inside a plastic tube of the type used for model aeroplane control rods. I don't like to see aerials "hanging from the rigging" especially on scale models so run them under the deck along the length of the boat, this works fine for me and range doesn't seem to be affected I can sail my 6M yacht 400 yards away and still have no issues. But that's on 40Mhz gear I've yet too experience 2.4Ghz

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 08:58:18 pm »

Hi pearlsfirstmate,
The aerial length on the Rx is important, you should not shorten it or overlap
if you want to coil it up you can run the coil loops on a card strip if you need to,but run the loops side by side.
On my Huntsman I fixed the end of the aerial to the front brass rail leg below deck
which I flattened out the end so a small spade push on connector could be fitted to it.

john

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:23:53 pm »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help, and such quick replies.  I think I understand supplier aerial length is critical and agree that anything over a 100 mtrs is almost irrelevant.

Many thanks  :-)

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 03:29:26 pm »

I have to say that I once curled my aerial up inside the hull but quickly
lost control at about 50mtrs. Unfurled it and layed it along the deck with some tape holding it steady in place and on the same route had no trouble at all at 80mtrs and back.
N..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.