Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orca Build  (Read 5008 times)

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
Orca Build
« on: May 14, 2007, 03:56:49 pm »

Hi TT, just to give you an idea of the build. It is from the Marine Modellers Plan Service, cedar planking, covered by glass woven cloth and SP113 resin. I wedged the mast in to give you an idea of height/sail area ( The plan gives the mainsail head at 85.3 ins above the deck.)

MikeK

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Orca Build
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 04:04:25 pm »

Thanks for that.

What is the mast made from?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:13:10 pm »

Tapered carbon fibre, but you can use the usual aluminium - a lot,lot cheaper !!

MikeK

romainpek

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 01:18:36 pm »

beautiful hull !

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 05:29:38 pm »

beautiful hull !

Thanks, I bought two big planks of cedar at the timberyard and sawed the planks on a cheapo (Netto's) table top saw. That's when I found out cedar comes in different colours !! Yet to tank test it to see if the wet stuff stays right side out  ;D ;D

MikeK

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 04:27:58 pm »

Ho hum ! since the above photo's, the as yet un-named boat tried to emulate a glider and launched itself off the Workmate, despite having a 22lb lead bulb attached  >:( >:(. Some sort of mini tornado tipped it over and punched in the deck and stringers F&A, presumably on the workmate handles, sprung a plank in the hull bottom and damaged the fin around the guide pin  :-\ At least the sound of the crash was impressive  ;D ;D Have carried out repairs and am back or a tiny bit further forward. Just waiting for some black anodised ally tube for the booms and some measurements so I can order the sails and who knows I might dare to think of naming her  :D :D

MikeK

You may notice that the circular lightning holes forward are now oblong - a bit of an improvement ? Also I ahve made a proper stand now, complete with casters, so it's not so far to fall next time  ;D ;D

romainpek

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 05:39:15 am »

How big is this monster ?  :o

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 09:39:03 am »

How big is this monster ?  :o

Oh fairly modest as these boats go - 65 inches LOA, 50" W/L, hoped for displacement 29.9 lbs, sail area 1291 sq ins. The plans give give different lengths/disp etc by moving the shadow spacing- to suite your sailing conditions. This is the middle one, they start at 59.8" LOA, through to 70.2" with 5 variations altogether. The dimensions are all in good old imperial as it is a Canadian design. Bit big for the domestic test tank, but my club has a purpose built tank for measuring all classes.

MikeK

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 05:14:54 pm »

Finally got back to my shed and do something useful. Just needs sheeting lines fitting and it will be ready to get wet

MikeK

Tom Eccles

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 08:16:03 pm »

Hi Mike,
What a Beauty!!

"Ours" is slightly different in that the keel is not as deep as yours and the rudder is attached to the back end of the keel.

When mine is built I will be positioning the rudder in a similar location to yours, I reckon it will give a better turning moment. ( but what do I know)
What type of sail winch are you using? and please tell me where you got that mast from, lots of height and strength from very little weight.

Regards
Clegg

'OWM REWL FER LANKYSHUR

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 09:05:45 am »

Hi Clegg
Thanks for the kind words  ::)
Your A boat 'master' sounds like an older vane design, maybe a Highlander ?? If you get the position of the rudder right you will be surprised at how quick these big heavy yachts can turn, there is not a lot of difference in feel between a IOM and an A when slinging it round a mark, it just takes up a lot more room and a lot more stopping if it hits something !
I bought the tapered carbon mast at PJ Sails web site http://www.pjsails.co.uk/ the site is still under construction but the catalogue in pdf form is downloadable. That particular mast cost £61 and I would imagine the shipping cost will be high. (It is one piece 2.35 mtr long !) I didn't have to worry about that as the mast was picked up at Peters house by a fellow member of my club. If you check around the net I am sure you may find another stockist further up north in driveable distance. Housemartin Sails & Dave Creed spring to mind.
I am using a single Whirlwind 'red top' winch - purely out of economy (after lashing out on that mast !) I am aware that this is underpowered for such a big area of sail and consequently don't sail her in anything too drafty. Other club members have a pair of the expensive winches, one for each sail, either working in tandem ie 'Y' lead, or each with their own joystick with the Robbe Navy Tx or modified Futaba. The other club boats are mostly latest designs and race in national/international events where I am sailing for the pleasure that this class gives you - it is the kind of boat that I can sail all by myself and still come away with a smile on my face  :). When I have saved enough pocket money up I might get a pair of Hitec drum winches (modified) and fit them with a 'Y' lead - there is plenty of room to 'dive' in and mess about in that size hull !
I'm staring to witter, I think - so time to stop  {-) {-)
regards

Mike

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 08:44:11 am »

Just a footnote to the above for Clegg.
I have bought two Hitec HS 785HB winches, plus a 'Y' lead from Howes - £21.00 each and £3.00 for the lead plus £3.00 p&p. I havn't fitted them yet but they certainly have some muscle. Not as fast and precise as the expensive ones but certainly fit for purpose. When I mentioned the modified units above I had misread the price of these, not as cheap as I had thought ! However if you have a computer type radio you don't need them as the EPA facility does the same thing. Out of the box the winches do about one and a half turns and using the EPA I have moved this to the three and a quarter I need.

Mike

Tom Eccles

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 07:28:55 pm »

Hi Mike, Thanks for the update. And now, to show what a novice I am - what is (an) EPA?

Incidentally "our" boat was allegedly built by a ships carpenter whilst on Liverpool/South America runs many years ago. His son contacted us not long before he emigrated saying "I have a yacht in the hall, you can have it for the club if you like" Our secretary went over to pick it up expecting a smallish pond yacht. He was rather surprised when it required two of the to lift it into the van! The hull is all plank construction but the keel is cast lead.
What the above really means is that we do not have any info on the type of A class she is. We should have the first hull out of the mould just after Christmas. We are supplying them to club members for a reasonable cost yet to be decided.
Me? I can't wait!
I am still trying to work out how to get it into my workshop without herself noticing......

Thanks again for the information
Clegg

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 08:56:56 am »

Hi Clegg, sounds like you have a pleasant challenge there - except maybe getting it past SWSBO !
EPA is End Point Adjustment. I have only just moved up into the posh end of the radios i.e computer, myself and still untangling the model aircraft terminology  to find what's useful for the boat. Basically on an ordinary radio full in / out on the winch is what you are limited to apart from possibly some minor tweeks - say for example a 9 inch run. With EPA you can extend that run another few inches at the full in and/or the full out position so you could utilise say 12/15 inches if required. Sorry, not very well explained but I'm sure there are members at your club that can explain and show you better.
I'm sure other 'yachties' on the forum (plus myself ) would love to see any pictures if you could post them, along with any dimensions, somebody may be able to further enlighten you as to class/design

regards
Mike

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 10:03:29 am »

Reading back through that, I assume that by adjusting in the other direction you can also make the full run of the winch equally less than the example figure of 9 inches. Just didn't try it !

Mike

Tom Eccles

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 08:44:50 pm »

Hi Mike,
Our club boat is stripped back to the planking at the moment in preparation for the mold being produced. When she is back to her full glory I will get some pictures and attempt to post them

Thank you for the advice

Clegg

ORL

Tom Eccles

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2007, 05:24:57 pm »

Hi Mike,

If you check out my earlier thread re help on a "J" Class you will find a link with some photographs of the old lady at our pond.

Best regards

Clegg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.