Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy Electronize 43X  (Read 4524 times)

Sundownernz

• Shipmate
Noisy Electronize 43X
« on: December 27, 2012, 11:55:14 pm »

Hi all,

I've just got my WW2 Subchaser back up and running after a number of years sitting on the shelf and i think I may have a problem with the 2 Electronize 43x ESC's fitted. They're running on 6 volt lead acid batteries driving 6 volt Decaperm motors (1 motor/batery/esc). There is a little bit of relay chatter but this seems to be due to the close proximity of the transmitter and stops with a slight increase in distance.

The bigger concern is that there is a rapid buzzing noise once the stick is moved to operate the esc which remains right through ther throttle range both forward and reverse. I don't recall this noise being there when I ran these contrllers a number of years ago but that may just be my bad memory.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue and let me know if this normal or do I have a problem that needs looking at.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers,
Garry.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Noisy Electronize 43X
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 03:27:38 am »

Hi Garry.
                The electronise speed controllers have 2 pots on them these may need adjusted to the settings of the transmitter stick.
 One pot centres the ratio of speed in the fwd and reverse position  the other pot you set up in relation to the center position of the stick on the transmitter you are using to activate the speed controller.

You could start with centering the speed control transmitter stick and trim then tweak the pots see if that cures anything.

Frank.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 10:11:22 am »

Any ESC from back then will pulse the motor at transmitter frame rate, 50 times per second, and the motor will produce sound at that frequency.  More modern ones run at a higher frequency, and whistle, or howl, depending on how you regard such sounds.  Both are handy means of letting you know that something is trying to happen.  Some of the latest run at yet higher frequency, and appear silent to humans, but probably annoy the dogs in the park being walked by their people.
Relay chatter - are the batteries in a good state?  Relays impose a considerable load, and might be causing the supply voltage to vary.  The control part of the ESC relies on stable voltage to sort out what is wanted of it, varying voltage produces varying answers, such as whether the relay should be operated or not.  The system should be set up so that the relay is only required for reverse.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:17 am »

Hi Garry

I think malcomfrary has got the right idea with the batteries. I have used these speed controllers for about 8 years in various fast ships and launches and would sometimes get a strange 'warbling' noise when running on the water but occasionally when I had not used the model for a while with its own set of batteries I would also get the annoying 'relay chatter' problem. I don't know the actual cause of the problem but it does seem to be the batteries not being charged enough or using older batteries that causes the relay chatter, after several attempts at fixing it myself I found that if changed the batteries and checked the battery lead terminals for corrosion seemed to fix the problem.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Stavros

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:33:59 pm »

Or simply do as I did a few years ago after having nothing but TROUBLE from Electronise I simply changed to the best..... ACTion and have NEVER had a problem since then,trouble is electronise havnt moved wth the times ,and to be perfectly honest with you His attitude towards his customers is pants even if it is his fault...rant over

Dave

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 07:12:03 pm »

have to disagree with you there dave for once,.......................................
but I have never had anything but excellent service and backup from Electronise...........but horses for courses, and everyone is free to chose.
neil.

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 07:56:55 pm »

Never had any trouble with either the product or service from both Action and Electronize.  Had good service and experience from them both.   
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:22:47 pm »

Well I beg to differ as having lost well over £100 to this company who catagorically deny recieving a pack of 3 units to be repaired under warranty,mmmmm they were sent rec del.....He also swore at Me on hte phone and accused Me of being a LIAR and an absolute xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx His service is pants.Even though I had a cast iron case in Law against him I decided it was NOT worth the effort to put him to court.Now many other I know have had similar experiences with this person.
TBH with you even if I bought a second hand boat and it had a top of the range Electronise....if there is such a thing as it is OLD hat technology it would end up in the BIN.

Some of you out there will say that I am biased in my opinion and it is SOUR grapes BUT having had to sort other Modlers boats that have been having trouble and changes the esc with another brand and believe you Me I have done well over 30 boats and they have been peoblem free from then ....it MAKES YOU THINK DOESNT IT

Problems were not only relay chatter but whining,servo chatter loss of power to name a few

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.