Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whale boats  (Read 2403 times)

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
whale boats
« on: February 22, 2013, 12:31:21 am »

I am looking for plans for a whaleboat
I'm thinking static 12th scale, fully equipped with harpoons lances etc ready to launch and hunt Moby.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Wizard
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: whale boats
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 01:59:47 am »

Are you hoping to attempt one from Sydney's old whaling fleet?

Dave

plugger

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 04:47:54 am »

Mantua Models do a 1:16 kit of an open whale boat. Plans can be purchased separately.

www.mantuamodel.co.uk

Kit # 742: Open whaler.
Open Whaler 742 Scale 1:16 Length 615mm. This is a lovely scale replica of the type of whaling boat popular in the second half of the 19th.century. The large scale of the model allows for finer detailing on the insides of the boat. A plank on frame construction, the kit contains:- Building plans with general details
English instructions, walnut or lime planking, wooden masts and spars, brass and walnut fittings, sailcloth, rigging cord and silk flag. All sheet ply sections are laser cut for accuracy.

Also Model Expo have a 1:16 kit (plans can be purchased separately)
http://www.modelexpo-online.com - Link Fixed

New Bedford whaleboat 1:16
From 1720 to 1920 nearly 60,000 whaleboats were consumed by the American whaling industry. With a useful life of no more than three years, whaleboats were discarded on the spot throughout the coastal U.S. and around the world. Remarkably, only a dozen or two have survived to become part of today's museum collections.

In 1916, the Dartmouth Historical Society commissioned the building of a half sized model of the bark LAGODA. Local whaleboat builder Joshua Delano was retained to build the seven half-sized model whaleboats needed for the project. Delano built these models according to the design of the full-sized boats he had built for the whaling industry for more than forty years.

Whaling historian Erik A.R. Ronnberg, Jr. made a thorough study of Delano’s half-sized boats in order to produce this kit of a uniquely American working craft.

You'll follow the original plank-on-frame method of construction in building your Model Shipways kit. Hull planks, oar and paddle blades, tubs, casks and rudder are accurately laser cut basswood. Authentic scale whaling gear gives this kit remarkable detail. Photo-etched copper fittings include harpoon, lance and cutting spade heads, knife blades, oarlocks and mast hinge hardware.

KIT FEATURES

• Authentic plank-on-frame construction duplicates original construction techniques
 • Laser cut basswood components
 • Photo-etched copper fittings include harpoon, lance and cutting spade heads, knife blades, oarlocks and mast hinge hardware
 • Cast Britannia compass bowl and bomb lance gun
 • Sailcloth & three diameters rigging line
 • Six sheets of precise, highly detailed plans
 • 150-page illustrated instruction book

Our Model Shipways New Bedord Whaleboat kit is supported by a superb set (6 sheets) of plans and a 150 page instruction book by Erik A.R. Ronnberg, Jr. The book, To Build a Whaleboat, gives you step-by-step building instructions, design and technical data. (Display base and pedestals not included.)
   Model Shipways Kit No. MS2033

Modified internet address

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:13:16 am »

I am looking for plans for a whaleboat
I'm thinking static 12th scale, fully equipped with harpoons lances etc ready to launch and hunt Moby.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated

Wizard

As it happens I am reading 'Moby Dick or The Whale' at the moment. Lots of details of life on board a whaling ship. There is much more to this book than Capt. Ahab's monomania. It is quiet encyclopedic about whales and whaling in places, and shows a lot of the social attitudes towards the sea and whaling of people at that time. It is also interesting for the fact it was written before much of the racial stereotyping of later literature.

What may help, if you haven't looked at the book, is the detailed descriptions of some of the equipment and how it was laid out in the whale boats. As well as the punishing 'Nantucket sliegh rides' that the boats would have to be strong enough to take. It will help describe some of the items seen in the MS2033 model pictures on the site http://www.castyouranchorhobby.com/item--New%20Bedford%20Whaleboat--MS2033
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 12:17:33 pm »

Norseman,  That would be good but I cant find much information on Sydney's fleet. One of the first whaling stations in Aus was in Mosman on the north shore. it was started by Ben Boyd who later moved south to I think Eden. His building was still there and was used by the sea scouts when I was a kid .It had a pair of whale bones arched either side of the door.

Plugger,  Thanks for the information .I will follow up on it in a moment.

Tigertiger, Moby Dick is indeed a wonderful book and is probably the best existing on whaling and whale boats. I have read it several times over the years , its one of the few books I can read more than once and still enjoy and get something new from it each time I read it.

Thanks guys,

Wizard
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:27:25 pm »

...or something different %)  but still on topic :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: .   Who will make a scale model of this to confound the judges ? {-) {-)  Details on www.tommcclean.com
..well can you land on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 22 queries.