Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cricket Legend, Tony Greig, has past away  (Read 3466 times)

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
Cricket Legend, Tony Greig, has past away
« on: December 29, 2012, 12:26:57 pm »

Former England Cricket captain and commentator, Tony Greig, has past away .... RIP

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cricket-greig-loses-cancer-battle-064304747.html

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cricket Legend, Tony Greig, has past away
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2012, 02:36:12 pm »

A controversial figure, but turned out to be great figure in developing the world of cricket. A very sad loss to the game... <:(

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2012, 09:21:15 pm »

All the main papers here are running tributes to Tony Greig, for example the Sydney Morning Herald -

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/stars-mourn-a-giant-of-modern-cricket-20121229-2c06b.html

Together with Kerry Packer, he changed the face of cricket forever with the introduction of World Series Cricket. He was a man Aussies loved to hate when he was playing, but adopted as one of our own when he and his family settled in Sydney. He became a member of the Channel 9 commentary team alongside such icons as Richie Benaud, Ian Chappel and Bill Lawrie. He will be missed by cricket lovers all around the world.

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Peter,

It was good to see the respect shown during the minutes silence at the Big bash match......

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 08:57:45 pm »

It was good to see the respect shown during the minutes silence at the Big bash match......

Indeed it was, Barry. He will also be honoured at the 3rd test between Australia and Sri Lanka at the Sydney Cricket Ground, which starts on 3rd January.

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:54 pm »

All the main papers here are running tributes to Tony Greig, for example the Sydney Morning Herald -
 He will be missed by cricket lovers all around the world.

Peter.
and yet over here peter he barely gets a by line.......truly disgusting.......of british press

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:16:22 pm »

and yet over here peter he barely gets a by line.......truly disgusting.......of british press

I have to agree with you Neil. Absolutely terrible....

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:34:30 pm »

A true gent, always had time for the fans and signed autographs for over 1/2 hr at the oval.
RIP Big Man.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 09:22:53 pm »

Neil, it's probably a case "of out of sight, out of mind". He's lived in Australia for a long time now, and some of the idiots who call themselves British sporting journalists are probably asking "Tony who??" He became an integral part of Australian cricket culture, sometimes controversial, often imitated by comedians, but always respected.

Peter.

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

you are definately right peter.............all the press in this country are interested in are footballers, wags and b******X facter contestants...............we the general public are treated to a torrent of mindless moronic cr*p.................I myself haven't bought a newspaper for over 25 years as I feel that I am ( arrogantly or self opinionated as some would say) just that little more intelligent than the t *****s that write the articles in those newspapers.

Have a lovely new year Peter, and look forward to conversing with you many more times,next year and beyond.
best wishes to you all in Ozz.......my spiritual home.
neil.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 04:14:48 am »

Thank you, Neil. I have enjoyed our chats over the years and look forward to many more. I hope 2013 is a good year for you, and all Mayhemmers O0

Peter.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 08:47:13 am »

you are definately right peter.............all the press in this country are interested in are footballers, wags and b******X facter contestants...............we the general public are treated to a torrent of mindless moronic cr*p.................I myself haven't bought a newspaper for over 25 years as I feel that I am ( arrogantly or self opinionated as some would say) just that little more intelligent than the t *****s that write the articles in those newspapers.

Have a lovely new year Peter, and look forward to conversing with you many more times,next year and beyond.
best wishes to you all in Ozz.......my spiritual home.
neil.

Neil,

I could not agree more with you. Absolutely accurate. Have a great new year guys.

Calypso

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 10:32:07 am »

Although I am familiar with Tony Greig's name, I'm a bit too young to really appreciate what he achieved in cricket. From the little that I have read about him he appears to have been quite a character in the world of cricket.

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »

That he was. When he went to the Kerry Packer circus he was considered a traitor to many in English cricket, myself included at the time. History, in the opinion of most does not agree with this. He was an innovator. Today's players owe him much for what he did.

I now find that Christopher Martin Jenkins, the great English cricket writer and radio commentator on 'Test Match Special' has died this morning aged 67. Another sad loss to the game..
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.