Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where should I go from here?  (Read 3086 times)

Vaas

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Where should I go from here?
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:03:37 am »

I just got into rc boating, i was into rc planes before. I currently have two low end boats, a new bright sundancer48 and a HT 3827 bismarck. I want to get more into rc boating without spending an arm and a leg, so Im looking for suggestions on what a beginner could do to keep busy. I am already thinking of getting a HT smasher sovremenny and repainting and replacing the cheap electronics on it like ive seen some people do. so is that a good place to start or would it be too difficult for a beginner?

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Where should I go from here?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:47:38 am »

The problem that seems to exist with the HT and the Smasher is they run way too quick.  Smaller motors, batteries or props should cure this.  Once you've got them sailing right you can spend some time making them look more accurate.  It's a good way into model boats.  Welcome aboard!
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 04:49:33 am »

If you have built and painted plastic construction kits, like Tamiya, you should  have no problems re-fitting the superstructure on the Smasher. The electrics should also be simple, as you point out, it has been done before.

Have a look at what people have done with the 'Dickie/Seaport Tug' on here as well. That is a popular conversion from RTR toy to nice model.
So popular that it has its own board http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=125.0
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 05:23:09 am »

Springer tugs are popular in the Pacific Northwest.
They are cheap and simple to build, and will run you through the basics of construction and outfitting.

Another option might be to pick up a 1/350 scale Tamiya warship, and convert one of those
kits to run RC. Hobby Town USA, or Tammies Hobbies would likely have those kits.

:-)

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 11:23:49 am »

You could also look at Deans Marine to see the running gear in his "little models".

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 03:37:13 pm »

the smasher (Sovremenny ) makes a lovely ship when painted up right and at around £40 is pretty cheap for a detailed model
drawbacks are you need to add rudders as it comes with tank steering and a very small nihm battery ( about 800 mah )
these can be easilly overcome tho and if you take the concrete ballast out you can slip a bigger nihm in place ( i used a 3300 mah nihm i had lying around ) , you could add 1 or 2 speed controllers to give the motors independant control ( depending on the channels your tx has ) i used 2 x 10 amp vipers in mine along with a 450 size heli mini servo for the twin rudders i installed , yes she is a bit on fast side at full throttle but you dont need to use full throttle all time but you know she can pick up her skirts and run if she has to , total cost for my conversion was about £120 ( boat , rx , 2 x esc's , rudders and servo ) , i did use the motors , props and shafts it came with and they seem ok  but i am thinking on slightly smaller brass props for her in the future
and Welcome Aboard  :-))

Vaas

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:45 am »

So would it be easier to convert the smasher/sovremnny or convert a 1 350 kit?

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 04:24:53 am »

They would entail the same work in electronics, but the smasher/sovremnny are
already built up, and have the motors mounted.

The 1/350 Tamiya models would need to be completely built up and mounts created for
motors, and then the rest of the electronics. Lindberg PT boats are good options also.

ok2

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 05:19:25 pm »

the HT Bismark , isnt that  1/350 scale ?
you could prob convert that , same idea as the Sovremenny as it has the motors and running gear installed

Vaas

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 07:08:50 pm »

I dont think that the bismarck has much potential as the sovremenny. If i wanted to improve the accuracy of it, i would have to drill the 3rd shaft in addition to the rudders and electronics. I would probably have to replace the superstructure as well. Also, I think the sovremenny's scale would be easier to work on.

Vaas

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:05:36 pm »

Vaas

• Shipmate

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:55:49 am »

no need drill 3rd shaft just secure a scaleish prop there and use the 2 outer shafts as propulsion  , ok the manimast and anti ship missile launchers could go but if its 1/350 scale theres a lot of aftermarket parts for the tamiya bismark that could sort it out
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.