Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BALLAST WHAT TO USE ?  (Read 1795 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
BALLAST WHAT TO USE ?
« on: December 30, 2012, 05:46:18 am »

HI guys
i need about 12bs of ballast for my tuna clipper, so it seams going by others that have built it, one guy used 4x 6v emergency lighting battires wired in series to give 12v and lots of amp hours total weight  was 8.1/2 lbs but its still very unstable it seams ?
i was wondering about ilmenite (by product  of rutial sand ( black sand ) after they extract the metal for making jet engine parts ) its about 80% the weight  of lead
we used it a lot for ballast in steel boats mixed with sump oil in the bottom of anchor lockers and boxed keels (was heavy as it soaked up the oil as well ,never rusts ,and can be flushed out if need
i was wondering if it was mixed up with a small amount  plaster and formed up in pens ?
any thing better that wont move round while the boat is getting transported around the place ?
cheers bob

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BALLAST WHAT TO USE ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 07:51:04 am »

i try to use batteries as its then usable ballast , anything that needs a little extra has lead shot from our local dive shop , it comesw in convenient fabric bags so will " mould " itself into bilges etc . , the oil soaked sand sounds like it will make rather a mess inside a model
. jon

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:20:32 am »

I use sheet lead, as used by roofers, a quick trip to your local scrapyard will usually get you what you need. The beauty of sheet lead is that it can be easily cut to any size and shape you like and can be placed flat against the hull bottom and easily conforms to the shape of the hull, keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible.....
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:31:26 am »

i try to use batteries as its then usable ballast , anything that needs a little extra has lead shot from our local dive shop , it comesw in convenient fabric bags so will " mould " itself into bilges etc . , the oil soaked sand sounds like it will make rather a mess inside a model
. jon

yes oil soaked sand would make a mess in a model, {-) i was thinking of mixing it with plaster of paries then resin coat over the top [size=78%] its fine  in a real steel boat with a floor over it [/size] :-)) i will look at batteries opt and some sheet or shot lead for the rest
cheers
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:48:23 am »

A trick used in some boats is to mix lead shot in resin.  Basically you add a little resin to the shot and roll the shot around and around until coated in the resin, and all resin used. A lot of shot will still be uncoated and loose, and so add a little more resin and repeat. Eventually the resin and shot will be evenly distributed, with the maximum shot to resin possible.

This can then be poured into the hull (useful for deep shallow keels, or keel bulbs), or put in poly bags and shaped into the hull and allowed to set. The poly bags stop it sticking to the hull.

Not sure if you  could do that with your sand.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 10:59:54 am »

I use sheet lead, as used by roofers, a quick trip to your local scrapyard will usually get you what you need. The beauty of sheet lead is that it can be easily cut to any size and shape you like and can be placed flat against the hull bottom and easily conforms to the shape of the hull, keeping the centre of gravity as low as possible.....
Same thing as you except I tend to cut the lead into convenient size squares/oblongs etc and put the required quantity into a removable container...then I can use the same container with a different quantity of sheets for different models. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 11:19:10 am »

Depending on what space you got,fill up 1ltr plastic bottle/s with  sand,and put them in your model.(easily moveable/removeable).Different people use various methods of ballast for the boats .Martin

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »

Hi,
Lead shot in plastic bags.

When the boat is level in all respects mix in some resin.

Regards

Tug

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:58:14 pm »

I like to melt 'DRY' lead used or new into tabbaco tins then  glue ribs/frames say 3/8" square stripwood,
 in the hull to stop the tins sliding about,

number or colour the blocks and the boxed frames accordingly,
then you remove the ballast before taking the boat out of the water [if it is a heavy one]
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three
 weeks before you need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.