Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC's "The BOX" - following a shipping container for a year  (Read 9366 times)

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BBC's "The BOX" - following a shipping container for a year
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

Call me an anorak if you like but i think containers like many other things are interesting , :D .
daz
How can you find a box "interesting"?  Jeez.
     Suppose the box contained a model boat ?
..well can you land on this?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 02:48:54 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: In the News !!!
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 04:18:55 pm »

Biggest container ship visits UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-20671374
Interesting "prime" photo (can't get beyond that)...but if her full name is Marco Polo, isn't there a cruise ship with that name? I didn't realise that name duplication was legal, at least for Ocean going ships.
My other observation is more of a seamanship comment.
She has 2(rope, not wire) springs out and 4 breast lines. No real stern lines. Novel.
I also note her lines have "tails". Haven't seen them for years. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 05:21:48 pm »

...but if her full name is Marco Polo, isn't there a cruise ship with that name?
The full name (as painted on the ship) is: CMA CGM MARCO POLO, registered London. She also has CMA CGM in HUGE letters on the sides so I guess that may be the owners name (heaven knows what nationality he might be - Kumar Cugem ... Indian?)

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:42 pm »

The full name (as painted on the ship) is: CMA CGM MARCO POLO, registered London. She also has CMA CGM in HUGE letters on the sides so I guess that may be the owners name (heaven knows what nationality he might be - Kumar Cugem ... Indian?)

French - Compagnie Maritime d'Affretement and Compagnie Generale Maritime

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMA_CGM

Lance

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 09:39:17 pm »

I know that this is probably a silly question,but, how are the containers held on? or is it just gravity and crossed fingers?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 10:19:30 am »

Shackles, clamps, probably cross bracing, strong string and industrial grade blu-tak.  Along with gravity and good luck.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 03:25:12 pm »

Its the weight of all those illegal imigrants, in a bit of a chop, they all have to clench to keep the container in place O0
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 09:52:59 pm »

Dave asks........how are the containers held on? .....""twist locks" Dave.....one in each corner for a 20 footer....or six on a 40 footer {-) ...when containres are individually transported via road........
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 11:02:46 pm »

What I don't get how the containers are interlocked aboard ship, you never see anyone jumping about, container to container, locking them down or even putting the locks in place.

See also...

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13107.msg126092#msg126092

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twistlock

http://youtu.be/wXXnEzXAip4
http://youtu.be/M2OEpp7RwXk
http://youtu.be/7ygXn_Em4vc

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=container+twist+locks&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=68jgUNqeFKyT0QWFzYG4BA&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=626

Dave asks........how are the containers held on? .....""twist locks" Dave.....one in each corner for a 20 footer....or six on a 40 footer {-) ...when containres are individually transported via road........

I know that this is probably a silly question,but, how are the containers held on? or is it just gravity and crossed fingers?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 12:21:43 am »

What I don't get how the containers are interlocked aboard ship, you never see anyone jumping about, container to container, locking them down or even putting the locks in place.

I think there will usually be some people about, but there are also some automatic bits available. Found this document:
http://www.lr.org/Images/AMastersGuidetoContainerSecuring_tcm155-175167.pdf
It's not definitive - these things ares never as simple as you think from a distance - but pages 17-21 and 25-28 are probably most relevant to your question.

Capt Jack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:52 am »

40 footers still only have 4 securing points, one on each corner same as a 20 footer

baloo

• Full Mayhemer
  • I`M YOUR FRIENDLY TRUCKER
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2012, 07:55:18 am »

Martin,if you ever get a chance go to "thamesport" isle of grain kent(easy to get to) and in there container depot,a crane is fed infomation to pick up container,then arrives at docking point(after driver has put in container details)then a human(believe it or not) radio controls container onto lorry.2 things to say,i have only known thamesport to shut once in 12 years due to high winds,and secondly if felixstowe past wind "STOP".I dont know why ! but other container drivers will tell you.And on one last point about 4/5 years ago whilst a containership was trying to dock(high winds) it did ? it landed on the quey knocking out two cranes(aprox 60/70 high)oop`s,all infomation was in the local newspaper.Are 4 locking pins enough !! no comment

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 09:11:11 am »

Google 'how do twistlocks work' will give you an idea although there have been some new ideas since. Basically below decks boxes fit into guides and simply land on the ones below, so no twistocks and no human help required. On deck twistocks placed and locked on by humans along with cross braced lashing bars which fit into the side holes of the box for securing second tiers to the deck etc
The gantry similarly pick up boxes and releases them by remote twistlocks on the spreader rotated by the gantry driver

Mike

ps There is a good site to view ships, many of them box boats, passing through either end of the Kiel Canal at  www.kiel-canal.de

MikeK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Utter Bloody Chaos !!
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 11:59:20 am »

Just checked on webcam - use 'New Live Webcam' option it shows either lock depending on camera1 or camera2. Everything very quiet now being New Years Day, although some traffic still outwards from the Elbe upstream

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.