Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speed contoller  (Read 2963 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Speed contoller
« on: January 01, 2013, 04:23:38 pm »

Hello from a new boy to this forum, I hope as well as receiving advice in the future I may be able to help someone 'stuck'.
I have been model boat building for more years than I care to remember but like most of us in fits and starts, I am however at the moment in full flight and full of enthusiasm, hope it lasts.

Question, in 2006 I bought from a well known on line auction site a 'Schumacher' speed control (very cheap) it is a strange thing with components soldered onto a pcb about the size of a large 50p. Certainly electro / mechanical. Is it any good trying it in my nearly completed tug or should it go back on that auction site.

Thanks to anyone who spares the time to answer.

Take care all Chris G   

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
Re: Speed contoller
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 04:30:10 pm »

Welcome Chris
Someone will know the answer
A photo of the esc would help

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37:42 pm »

Thanks, I did try adding a photo after typing a long mail and the site not only told me I had used to many of something or other but deleted the mail.

I will give it another try. How on earth do you get past the verification letters, they are unreadable and the person or voice reading them out sounds as if she had a good night out last night.

Thanks Chris G

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:21 pm »

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of help here. Here's your first bit. Any photo you want to post needs to be resized to 151Mb or less or what happened to you will keep happening. I made a new folder in my pictures entitled resized pics for forum. Into this folder I put the pics I want to post. To resize I right click on the pic and open in paint, click on resize, click on pixel button, put 164 in horizontal size window, tick keep aspect ratio same, click save icon at top. I then go back to pic in resize folder hover over it until details show and check size is below 151Mb if not resize a bit smaller until it is. Once below 151 you can post it. Best of luck.
Jerry.

Stormbringer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 08:20:55 pm »

welcome aboard  :-))

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:35:10 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse so to speak

Ref photos one of the best thing for this site is for you to get a photobucket account it is totally free and just upload direct to this account NO need to resise it will do it automatlcally for you then all you do is hover over the url's and it is the last one yuo need,you will notice it states copied then all you do is paste it on hte forum post and thats it finished thast all there is to it.Reason I advocate a ohotobucket account is simple really it doesnt cost this site any bandwidth as the pics are hosted by photobucket.Secondly NO silly resisng to do Simples

As regards the verification code this will soon dissapear after a number of set posts I think it is around 10 but I will stand corrected on this

Dave

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 11:51:38 am »

I would tentitavely say, flog it on and get something a bit more up to date. Speed controllers these days are like night and day from what was available years ago.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2013, 01:32:01 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse so to speak

As regards the verification code this will soon dissapear after a number of set posts I think it is around 10 but I will stand corrected on this

Just 5 post - we had a bit of a problem with spammers last year.....  >:-o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Speed contoller
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:25 pm »

Mark 2 !!!!! Just lost another lengthy post still unable to resize my photo's, I will enlist the aid of a very good friend who is also on here for help.

I wish to thank you all for replying in such a helpful and encouraging way. I have decided after careful examination that the controller is designed for I/C as the electrics activate a cam, can't be electronic. And thanks for the advice to put it back on Ebay, someone somewhere is looking for an antiquity such as this  <*< .

Many thanks and take care Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Speed contoller
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 05:17:35 pm »

I hope finally a photo of said item.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:50 pm »

All we need now is an old man in his shed who recognises it

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 05:33:57 pm »

That's an electronic speed controller. Looks like a pot in the middle, not sure what that is for. I think this may be a forwards only speed controller going by the number of transistors on the board, unless there is a relay on the other side which I can't see.

I doubt if this would be good for much current- no heatsink. Get shot of it, and get a decent ESC. I use microgyros for brushed motors.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Speed contoller
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:28:30 pm »

After the comments since posting the initial question I had decided to buy an electronic and current type of speed controller.
I hate to admit that it has taken me two days to understand how to make my photo fit onto this site and have achieved it only with the help of another newbie 'pearlsfirstmate'. The downloading of the picture was really an massive step forward for an old 'F--t' with limited computer knowledge.

I thank you all for the help and can't wait to hear your comments and maybe groans at my next question. "not him again" !!!!!!!!!!

Take care Chris G   

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 07:35:09 pm »

Schumacher is a well known model car manufacturer, & it looks like one of its older type controllers which is almost certainly a forward only type. The large object in the middle is probably a relay which switches in when full power is applied. These ' full power bypass relays' were used to minimise power loss through the circuit, as at the time these were made, the transistors were not very efficient & at the kind of currents model car motors pulled, the power loss at full speed was significant.
Whilst it will make your motor go from stop to full speed, I would agree with Subculture & go for modern controller that's more suited to your requirements

The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Speed contoller
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 09:18:29 pm »

Thank you all and for your comments and the learning curve associated with 'Mayhem'

I will scrap said speed controller and buy something that will do the job effectively. Many many thanks Chris G
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.