Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue, recovery boat  (Read 7473 times)

ModmanMax

• Full Mayhemer
  • Classic Hobbies Perth Western Australia
Rescue, recovery boat
« on: January 02, 2013, 03:50:15 pm »

A simple yet effective rescue/recovery boat.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A_D0vR_aIt8?list=UU3JEIAwzSpCMfyNlxSYmYJA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
Re: Rescue, recovery boat
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 07:33:38 pm »

Brilliant!! I have myself a recovery boat with a similar catamaran design to yours. It was my intention to use tank like steering like you have but without the know how i had to settle for a central pod with a tradional prop and rudder. It has many flaws and needs seriously revising. Dont mind me but I think ill rob your design  :}

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 07:45:00 pm »

Very smooth.    :-)) :-)) :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ModmanMax

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:20 pm »

Brilliant!! I have myself a recovery boat with a similar catamaran design to yours. It was my intention to use tank like steering like you have but without the know how i had to settle for a central pod with a tradional prop and rudder. It has many flaws and needs seriously revising. Dont mind me but I think ill rob your design  :}
Glad you like it. I trolled the Internet for ideas there is not a lot on the subject. I have More photos of the build if you need but essentially just use what you have on hand and build it tough.
The motors are 12volt units running on 7.2v. The props are slow reving scale props 55 mm 3 blade.
The idea is to try and get control rather than speed. The big props give plenty of torque and the whole thing is under stressed. You want reliability so you don't need to rescue the rescue :-)

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 12:25:58 am »

Very nice and excellent control. I really like seeing all the rescue boat designs that people have made.
Here's a picture of my little tug doing rescue duty for the nitro boats. This tug has gone on to do rescue duty for the sailing club and I'm currently building it's replacement with a few more bells and whistles (lights and water squirting). The kids that come out to watch us practice like the tug and it's slow enough they can have try.

Brian

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 12:51:27 am »

That,s cool.
My rescue boat is my wee footy-springer, flat bow, and rubber bump strip around means it don't slip or damage either hull.
works great, moving boats 6 time it's length ok.
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

ModmanMax

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:09 am »

That,s cool.
My rescue boat is my wee footy-springer, flat bow, and rubber bump strip around means it don't slip or damage either hull.
works great, moving boats 6 time it's length ok.
cheers
vnkiwi

Bumpers are next on the list and some kind of cats whisker guides to help guide the boat in.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:11:02 am »

with reference to the scale of your propellers id say my boat is a lot smaller than yours, mind you i build small boats (relatively speaking) anyway so i can transport them on the bus. I designed my rescue boat so that it folds for that very reason, but its still bulky and i need to take an additional ruck sack with me to the lake everytime i want to go down to the water whatever model im sailing.

ModmanMax

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 06:19:12 am »

The dimensions are 520mm wide x 600mm long with 300mm between the pontoons. That came about trying to get the most out of the timber I had. Its a bit big for a rucksack but luckily I can park the car close to the lake.  :-)

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 03:09:03 pm »

With the possesion of a car i reckon you wouldnt need much use of a ruck sack. I would probably invest in a inflatable raft if i had a car. Ive just ordered a toy rc boat, you know the one with the duel propellers and 380 motors. Ill rob the motors, prop shafts out of that and then rig it up to the 2.4ghz stuff i allready got. At 24 quid pnp inc I reckon ive gone the best route about it considering 2 propshafts would be 12 quid, couplings 12 quid, then ill need props etc.

Steve J

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:10:40 pm »

A simple yet effective rescue/recovery boat.

Mine is similar....

14" between the pontoons.

Steve

springersrus

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:54:03 pm »

Here is a picture of our club rescue boat the club charges 50p a rescue which goes to charity, the arms open and close .

Tombsy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 07:33:46 pm »

Excellent! That's a great idea charging for a rescue and donating to charity. Some days it seems like I do more rescuing than practicing.   
Brian

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:53:14 am »

Ive nearly completed my new rescue boat, it needs another coat of paint due to some modifications i made but overall its about finished. I bought a NQD style rc boat and gutted it for the hardware then ran the motors from 2 speed controllers and a wheel type 2.4 ghz transmitter. Using the trigger for the port motor and the wheel for the starboard side it turned out to be allmost incontrolable as the 2 speed controllers are not the same type or brand and so i changed to a single esc driving both motors. 2 micro switches operated by a cam on a servo now allow for steering by switching off one motor on the side which i wish to turn. Ie left motor off for left and right motor off for right.
Because i use the bus to get to the lake i can only usually take one boat safely at a time so it is important that the rescue boat is small enough to be carried in a ruck sack or something along with my controllers and batteries and have no parts that easily break off. To do this ive designed the boat so that it packs away allmost a 3rd its original size.

ModmanMax

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »

Very innovative. I would imagine it would work ok for some rescues in the compact version too.
I like your solution of the micro switch for steering. I modified my radio to give me 2 side by side sticks which gives full control over each motor but your solution is simpler and will work ok too. I wish I had thought of that.

Mad_Mike

• Full Mayhemer
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 06:13:58 pm »

I like your stick idea actually and would have gone with it but my radio also controls my rc car and hacking it up wouldve limited its uses to the rescue boat only. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.