Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Solent steam launch build log  (Read 39072 times)

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Solent steam launch build log
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2013, 12:13:56 pm »

Yes, I was going to fit a tiller but the hull is not symmetrical, so if it was connected to the rudder (which is in line with the keel) it would not come out of the deck on the centreline.  This would have looked odd, so I didn't do that.   I plan to fit a wheel on the aft bulkhead (non-working) and have drawn up what I think will suit, but that will have to wait for the first refit.  There are some other tiddly bits I am going to add as well, but getting steaming takes priority at the moment.

Greg

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 02:36:55 pm »

MAIDEN VOYAGE!   :} :} :} :} :} :} :} :}

In this part of the world, yesterday was overcast, warm, very still - and with high tide in the early afternoon.  On the spur of the moment I decided to take S/L Unnamed for her maiden voyage on the sea.  Very close to where I live is a sheltered inlet which fills at high tide, so I packed up the boat and other bits and pieces and headed seawards.  Everything went pretty smoothly, steam raised in about 9 minutes and off she went, steaming around for 30 minutes or so on a glassy calm sea.  She won't break any speed records, but that's not the point of a boat like this.  The one thing I didn't use was my golf cart boat transporter, as I could park right next to the water and just carried the boat to the edge.

The water had a bit of scum around the edges, but nothing too mucky.  Also a little bit of floating weed, but I managed to avoid most of that.  She looked great (to my eyes at least) and the half-hour went by in a flash.  I did take some video clips and the best of a poor bunch is here.  The dirty marks around the hull are from the scum on the water, but try to ignore that!  It's also a bit jerky (I was on my own) but Youtube's stabilisation seems to wreck the resolution of the clip so I've left it alone.

The first of many trips - if I get any better piccies and video I'll post them, but other than that it's just a case now of enjoying  :-)) :-)) - and wondering what project to do next!

And one last big thank-you to everyone who has helped me with this build in whatever way, and I hope if you have been following it you have enjoyed the trip.

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »

Three cheers for Greg, 3(hip hip hip   HOORAY!).
Jerry.

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2013, 05:23:29 pm »

Nice plume of steam from the chimney there Greg, she is crying out for a skipper now. Really nice job, congratulations......
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2013, 07:16:49 pm »

Thanks guys!

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 05:57:10 pm »

Those who had the patience and fortitude to follow this log as I built the launch will recall the small issue I had with the foredeck lifting.  Although I had a go at fixing it, the mend never really worked, and each time the boat was used the deck seemed to lift a little more.  As winter approached I decided that I would have to replace the deck.  Having made the decision, I - did nothing!   :embarrassed:

That is until just recently, when the promise of some better weather prompted me to get going.  This is a mainly pictorial record of how I did it.  Fortunately I still had enough (just!) of the wood I used for the deck to prepare another foredeck-worth of planks.  Here's what the deck looked like at the start -

and here is the first painful breaking out of the deck   <:(

Getting a neat job in the corner took a while - lots of picking away of tiny pieces.

Then it's just a matter of being fairly brutal and ripping the deck off piece by piece  :((

The old foredeck wasn't really supported well enough (which might have been part of the original problem) so I decided to add another deck beam and put in a ply subdeck before putting the planking back.  Here is the new beam just behind the filler cap -

and here is the paper pattern being traced for the subdeck -

The pattern is transferred to the ply - 1/32" because that was all the shop had when I went in   %)

I though that the ply probably needed a little beefing up over the large unsupported areas, so I added the panels you can see below, then epoxied the underside of the deck.

The subdeck was then glued in place.

Crikey!  Steve looks happy with it so far  :-))

To get the holly centre strip and the adjacent planks fitted around the filler cap and samson post, I stuck the pieces down to a scrap of wood with double sided tape -

then after some careful measuring (I used digital calipers and made quite a few measurements until I was sure it was right) I dtilled a hole for the filler -

and squared off a hole for the samson post.

The pieces were pulled off the tape and were ready for final trimming to shape.  I was pleased and relieved that everything slotted neatly into place  :}

After that, it was just a question of cutting, shaping and gluing, cutting shaping and gluing......

until the gap was filled.  I then spent a fair while scraping to get the deck flush and smooth.

Then Steve did some sanding for me.  Eagle eyes will spot that I did need some filler along the margin plank in places - too ham-fisted with the chisel and knife  >:-o

Then it was time for some epoxy.  The extra beam and subdeck seem to have done the trick - the deck is solid as a rock  :-))

I haven't put the varnish on just yet - I am hoping that the new planking will darken somewhat to match the old, and I don't want the UV protection the varnish provides to stop that.  I will varnish and polish in a month or so.

Well, that's it.  I was worried I would make a complete mess of this, which is part of the reason it took so long for me to start.  But it has turned out OK, and even the small patches of filler have merged into the background a little.  I am also adding some tiddly bits, like fairleads and cleats, and a wheel, to complete the job.  I'll try to remember to post a picture when she is finally, finally finished.

Good steaming!

Greg

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »

Proper job Greg, that's a good little deckhand you've got there matey.
Jerry.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 09:40:03 pm »

Excellent rework Greg..... :-))...you will never regret it....however I would never turn my back on that deckie  <*<

He looks like he is about to sand @ 45 degrees to the grain  {-) .......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bernhard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2014, 06:43:26 am »

:-)) Great work,,looks super,,,

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2015, 12:28:00 pm »

It's been over a year, have you finished repairing the boat?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2015, 10:07:33 pm »

Yes I did, and have run her a far bit.  Now christened Pegasus (son of Poseidon, god of the sea) she is back in dock for maintenance and the steam plant is out of the boat.  There is also a fair covering of dust over everything at the moment so she isn't looking her best!  {:-{

I could have sworn I had posted a picture or two of the finished areticle, with her wheel, cleats and fairleads in place and the sturdy new foredeck shining with varnish - but I was clearly wrong  :embarrassed: - once everything is back in place (including my posh new cylinder covers for the TVR1A!) and the dust has been brushed away I'll put up some photos.  It will be a few weeks but I'll put a note in my diary so I don't forget again.  :-))

Greg

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2017, 08:34:47 pm »

Well, it's been a few years and I had mostly forgotten about your build thread.
I see you haven't posted the pictures yet. So how are the boat and steam plant nowadays?

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:59 pm »

When I wrote this log, I hosted most of the pictures on Photobucket and they were displayed here via that site.  Photobucket have now decided they will not allow that unless I pay them $400 a year.  I am not about to do that, so I can only apologise for the lack of pictures.  If there is a particular aspect of this build you want to follow up, PM me and I will try and send you the relevant pictures.

Sorry - and steer clear of Photobucket!

Greg

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2020, 04:24:00 pm »

In case the steam enthusiasts here don't peruse the Sales section very often, this is to let you know that this boat is now for sale.  Go to the Mayhem Sales section here.

Greg
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.