Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Servos  (Read 2642 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Digital Servos
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »

Can I use a digital servo in the same way as the analogue ones? I ask because looking at the Hobbyking site, the cheapest servos (almost) seem to be digital. I always thought that digital servos were high end types with lots of torque or high speed and expense to match.

Barrie

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Digital Servos
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 01:42:02 pm »

Pretty much all servos are controlled by microcontrollers these days, as opposed to older servos which tended to use dedicated analogue ic's. So technically speaking all modern servos are digital. The difference lies in the code programmed into them, so we have analogue emulation.

Digital servos tend to work at higher frequency and with tighter deadband, that is why they tend to use more juice. They also tend to have beefed up electronics so they don't overheat.  Some use more current than others however. bear in mind a lot of digital servos will have more powerful motors and/or higher ratio drive trains to speed the servo up. Handy for a car racer or aerobatics, but complete overkill for scale model boats.

You can use digital servos just the same as normal servos, just make sure if you're using a BEC, that is up to the job.

However the cheapest servos from HK are analogue type servos e.g. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29512__HK15178_Analog_Servo_10g_1_4kg_0_09s_UK_Warehouse_.html

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:20:10 am »

Can I use a digital servo in the same way as the analogue ones? I ask because looking at the Hobbyking site, the cheapest servos (almost) seem to be digital. I always thought that digital servos were high end types with lots of torque or high speed and expense to match.

Barrie
Yes, with the caveat that their power supply needs to be stable enough for the job.
"Digital" is a heavily misused expression used to imply wondrous properties for whatever is being sold, without ever saying just how the wonders are performed, and there is a wide range of digitalness. 
In an analogue servo, the signal from the RX is observed, and the pulse length measured by charging a capacitor up to whatever voltage it can - this is then compared to the voltage on the wiper of the position sensing pot.  If there is a difference, the motor is instructed to drive the pot to a position where it does agree.  As a by-product, the output arm, being attached to the pot spindle, also moves to the new position.
A fully digital servo would register the pulse length by counting while the pulse was "on" and using the result of that count as a numerical value.  It must then compare the numerical value of the position sensing device with that and drive the motor until agreement is reached.  In a fully digital one, a stepper motor would do the driving, precise, but thirsty.  In reality, I suspect that the input end is done like that, but the position is still sensed by a pot feeding a voltage to an ADC element in the controlling chip, and as such, would still be liable to jitter derived from marginal voltage supply variations.  Quite probably, the motor is a regular brushed can type.
While most digital servos will have some technical changes that might justify buying at the higher price, I suspect it will be some time before there is a fully digital servo at the same price as the established analogue type.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:58:22 pm »

I have some digital servos which have a magnetic encoder in place of the pot. Still a standard DC motor, but some of the latest versions have a brushless DC motor in. I have seen one stepper motor servo, which was called open stepper, but that is no longer available. It was design to work with I2C rather than R/C output pulses, but could be adapted if necessary.

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:10 pm »

he's asked a simple question if he can use a digital servo like an analogue servo and it's simply answered 'Yes'

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:31 am »

Thanks Subculture and Malcolm for the extended reply, some of us would have to request further clarification if given a one word answer. OK for the "Plug and play" generation, but those of us with two brain cells like to know.   :-))
  Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 01:11:49 pm »

Thanks guys for the explanations :-))  I did derive the simple answer from them :-)

I don't have any plans to use them at present, I was just slightly surprised to see that they were reasonably priced as I had understood them to be expensive and only for use in special circumstances.

Barrie

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 08:17:25 pm »

digital servos used to expensive when they first came out but like most electronic things the price drops after a while. If you have digital servos use them especially on the rudder they will have more holding power and centre extremely precisely.  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.