Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Trawler Amity 2 Build  (Read 37411 times)

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Trawler Amity 2 Build
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 02:37:40 pm »

Just thought I'd pop in and say how much I'm enjoying your work  O0

Dave

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 09:43:56 pm »

Started fitting the bow thruster today, I have used the same type of bow thruster that I have made for other builds. The first job was to cut the holes through the hull for the thruster tube; I find the best way is to make small number of holes just a bit smaller than the thruster tube. Make sure that the port and starboard holes are in line.The thruster was put into place and fixed with two part epoxy and then filled.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »

If you look at the photo that Davie put on this build thread it is quite clear that the thruster outlets are fitted with steel grating to stop any debris from entering the thruster tube. I decided to make the ones on the model out of a wire grill that I have, the grill is out of a kitchen extractor fan hood. I cut small pieces of tube the same diameter as the thruster outlet shaped and attached the grill to these. I then fitted both of the grills filled and gave them a coat of primer just to see how they looked.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 02:45:37 am »

Hi Brian, me again (sorry!) but you do get a crack on especially so judging by the amount of scratch building you do, any chance you could show a pic or two or explain how you've geared your bowthruster from the coupling down?
Hope you don't mind me picking your brains or asking for you to share your ideas - but it's a great log to follow and am learning all the time.
            Kind regards, Tony.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 12:07:50 pm »

No problem Tony, :-)) I used the same gears in my Z drives that I made for the Svitzer Maltby. The bow thruster did not have to be as strong as the z drives so I decided to use a copper T piece for the main unit, the shafts are 3mm stainless steel and the bevel gears were purchased from Duval Gears, they are 8mm diameter with a 3mm bore the same as the four bearings these were purchased from Simply Bearings. I cut a small section of copper pipe and soldered this into the T piece, the end caps that hold the vertical and horizontal drive shafts I turned on the lathe the small piece of brass tube in photo 3 is the grease point. All of the joints were silver soldered. The bevel gears come fitted with grub screws for fixing onto the drive shafts.
http://www.davall.co.uk/
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/shopping_cart.php

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 05:09:07 pm »

Brian…..a query.On the “real” vessel, do the 3 rudders operate around a common axis (like the steering on a kids box-cart”, or do the 3 rudders operate within a fixed framework (like a proper car steering gear)? I ask because I can’t help but feel that if they turn around a common axis it may not be as efficient as the second option. Regards. Bryan.
Notes from a simple seaman

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 05:13:19 pm »

Brilliant!  thank you very much Brian  O0 very much beyond what I would achieve but it's great to see engineering skills such as yours applied to models.  The satisfaction gained from designing and manufacturing parts and assemblies is what creates the buzz in scratch building I guess, and is so much more rewarding than the pure assembly of proprietary parts and kits even if time out weighs the cost - modelling is a 'pastime' after all - then again you may not notice the effect of time being a bit of a speed merchant!   I'm still basically a 'kit assembler' - but learning all the time from builds as this.
                                        Kind regards, Tony  :-))

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 07:09:08 pm »

Brian…..a query.On the “real” vessel, do the 3 rudders operate around a common axis (like the steering on a kids box-cart”, or do the 3 rudders operate within a fixed framework (like a proper car steering gear)? I ask because I can’t help but feel that if they turn around a common axis it may not be as efficient as the second option. Regards. Bryan.

Bryan sorry I am unable to answer your query as I was not able to get any info or good photos on the rudders on the real vessel. The way that I have them linked on the model really works well.

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 07:16:23 pm »

hi brian, i like the bow thruster system on the amity, looking very nice,,, may catch you at the lakeside tomoro morn,  :-))

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »

Cheers Brian, yep I will be there tomorrow

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 07:37:12 pm »

Brilliant!  thank you very much Brian  O0 very much beyond what I would achieve but it's great to see engineering skills such as yours applied to models.  The satisfaction gained from designing and manufacturing parts and assemblies is what creates the buzz in scratch building I guess, and is so much more rewarding than the pure assembly of proprietary parts and kits even if time out weighs the cost - modelling is a 'pastime' after all - then again you may not notice the effect of time being a bit of a speed merchant!   I'm still basically a 'kit assembler' - but learning all the time from builds as this.
                                        Kind regards, Tony  :-))

Tony I have build quite a lot of kits since I started building models and enjoyed every one of the builds, I certainly would not hesitate in buying a kit if I saw one that I liked. The problem with scratch building is the time factor; I was on nearly two years building the Svitzer Maltby and the same length of time building the Maersk Leader. (I must have too much spare time) {-) {-)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 07:56:03 pm »

Did a bit of work on the port side belting bars today and managed to get a coat of primer on. This is not the finished primer, as I like to give a coat of primer to show up any blemishes that can be repaired.   

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:37 pm »

The outer rudders are connected to the main rudder as Brian has built the model rudder Bryan , its built for simplicity and ease of maintenance. Jimmy has found he's using less fuel with this rudder than a single rudder as it need a lot less rudder angle to get the boat to turn and it maintains bollard pull during a turn.

There's only a handful of boats with this rudder system but as the boats look for ways to cut their fuel bills I can see a lot more fitting them in refits over the next few years
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 08:27:25 pm »

Hi guys
I found this
BT Marine has supplied Triple Rudder & Nozzle system to MacDuff Shipyards Ltd.
Further to the success of the fishing Trawler “Resilient’s” installation of High Trust nozzle and Triple rudder system, BT Marine has recently supplied a further assembly to the fishing Trawler “Amity” installed by MacDuff Shipyards Ltd on her recent re-fit.
The Resilient is fitted with a CPP system for main propulsion, where as the Amity Is using a 1900mm diameter 4 blade FPP system also supplied by BT Marine. The system has seen marked improvements in the steering and manoeuvring characteristics of the vessels, along with a fuel saving, greater bollard pull and all round better engine performance.
The rudder system designed, manufactured and assembled fully by BT Marine, and utilises 3 independent rudder blades, all connected through a complex linkage system, allowing the outer blades on full lock to travel further, giving greater manoeuvrability under a heavy sea or Trawl.
With the focus on efficiency and fuel economy being more and more pushed to the forefront of design, BT Marine has looked at all parts of the propulsion & Steering systems and has just signed a contract for a High Efficient Flap style rudder 2.8m blade size for delivery to Russia, to RMRS Classification.

Dave

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2013, 08:31:44 pm »

Thats the rudders stern on , can't see the linkage on top though , I thought it was a simple system but if its a type of geared linkage to give more rudder angle on the outer rudders compared to the main rudder then it would be pretty hard to model it on a working RC boat I guess

Davie Tait,
Scotland

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2013, 08:34:22 pm »

by the way Brian the grates you can see are the pipe keel coolers for the engines ( coolant water and oil in separate pipes pumped through it to use the sea for cooling , most new boats going back to the internal box heat exchanger coolers we had in the 60's now to keep drag to a minimum ) you can see them better in this photo ( one each side same place on hull )
Davie Tait,
Scotland

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 09:23:58 pm »

Thanks for the information and photos, Dave and Davie. Not being able to get a photo showing the control linkage on top of the rudders I am afraid it was just guess work on the model but saying that I am very pleased with the way that the rudder operates. Once again thanks for the info.  :-))

Sinking Feeling

• Full Mayhemer
  • so many projects, so little time!
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

Great build so far, looking forward to updates.
S.F

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:10 pm »

Think Martin Should look at Brians work and move it into the master class.
                Regards Howard.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »

Think Martin Should look at Brians work and move it into the master class.
                Regards Howard.

Great complement Howard but unfortunately the build does not qualify for the master class section. I have just started the Amity plus I don’t put enough information into my builds.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 10:26:53 pm »

Not much done on the build over the weekend, got a start today on the deck supports.

chris gillespie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 10:50:21 pm »

Great work Chip  :-))

ill continue to follow closely  ok2

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2013, 09:29:55 pm »

A bit more done on the stern end today, I decided to make the area that will hold the two net drums out of 8mm ply as they will have to be fixed through the deck. I have also made a removable section just in case I have to do any repairs or replace the rudder servo.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.