Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Trawler Amity 2 Build  (Read 37414 times)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Trawler Amity 2 Build
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 10:41:28 pm »

The next part of the build is the deck beams; I thought that it would be a good time to make the battery holder at this stage in the build as it can be quite a job after all the deck is in place. I use 8mm square and 8x20mm timber for most of the deck beams and fill in with 8mm ply, I then cover with 1.5mm HIPS (plastic card). I build all of my models this way and have no problems when it comes to fitting winches hand rail stanchions.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2013, 02:07:06 pm »

Nice 'carpentry' Brian - still following avidly.  I assume weight is not a problem, nice to see a robust solid build O0 certainly saves on the ballast?
                                           Regards, Tony.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2013, 08:25:25 pm »

No problem with weight Tony. :-)) When I got the hull I tested her in the bath to see how much ballast she would need to take her down to her water line, she needed 20lb that is including the battery. I have finished fitting the sub deck and managed to fit the main deck today. The shelter deck roof is not fitted yet, I placed a piece of plastic on the top to see how she looks.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2013, 08:51:08 pm »

Deck vents made and fitted plus steps down onto stern trawl deck.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 09:41:51 pm »

Stern roller made and fitted, I used alloy bar for the roller and angel alloy for the plate that the roller sits on. Small pins are fitted in the ends of the rollers to allow it to turn. I have also started to add a bit more detail to the shelter deck area.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2013, 08:26:57 pm »

Decided to make a start on the net drums today, I was going to make the end discs out of 2mm plasicard but I have quite a bit of alloy sheet so I decided to use this instead. You might think that I am jumping the gun a bit by starting on the drums but I need to make these before fitting the shelter deck roof as I will be bolting the drums to the deck and need to drill the deck before fitting the roof. The first job was to cut the end plates, these were rough cut using a band saw and then finished in the lathe. The shafts are alloy tubes with a solid centre shaft allowing the drums to turn. The spacers between each end plate is doweling drilled to fit over centre shaft. I will try to get the end supports made next.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2013, 01:50:20 am »

Very nice Brian - I'm still lurking!  {-)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »

[font=]Cheers Tony, haven’t done much on the Amity apart from rubbing the hull down a bit more.  [/font]

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »

Small update, managed to get the bottom half of the hull painted in her final colour below the water line.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 11:17:22 pm »

A Joy to watch your build Brian,
     Any luck with Northsider Lights yet am still confused over then.
         Regards Howard.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2013, 12:07:13 am »

I have sent you a PM Howard

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »

Started to make the net drum supports, here are a few photos showing the progress.   

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 11:30:52 pm »

I ask is there any limit to Brians skills as I read and watch this build with amazment. I have a choice, Do I just throw in the towel and give up or do I try harder to be as good
                           Regards Howard.

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 06:00:46 pm »

Hi... I have been watching your build with great interest, the model is looking superb...  What is 'MFV' ... is it a generic type of boat, or is it a make?
Cheers Lee

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #64 on: February 05, 2013, 06:13:42 pm »

MFV
Motor Fishing Vessel

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Lash151

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: February 05, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »

err.... Thanks Ned  :embarrassed:

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:30 pm »

No need for the embarrassed face Lee we all have to learn and that is the only way, ask questions. :-))
Thank you Howard, I don’t think you have a choice you have to continue, I don’t have any more skills than you have, being an OAP I have plenty of time to make mistakes and start again. {-)   {-)  I sometimes feel the same way as you when I see some of the fantastic builds on the forums.
I have managed to get a bit more detail done on the net drums today, hydraulic pipes and the final coat of paint.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: February 05, 2013, 09:22:07 pm »

http://www.buchanobserver.co.uk/community/business-directory/amity-star-jimmy-ready-to-make-fresh-waves-in-tv-world-1-2774713

Amity star Jimmy ready to 
make fresh waves in TV world

Published on Tuesday 5 February 2013 05:00

PETERHEAD skipper Jimmy Buchan could be heading back to our television screens in another fishing series.

The star of the BBC’s ‘Trawlermen’ revealed to the Buchanie last week that a new fishing programme could be on the cards – this time commissioned by Channel 4.

Jimmy, right, said: “I was contacted by a media company with a view to doing a new series – not Trawlermen, but in a similar vein, and this time from Channel 4.

“It has not been fully commissioned yet, but a cameraman will be coming away with me in the next couple of weeks on a ‘recce’ shoot to see if a new series is possible.

“I have met the people from the company and they are very excited about the whole idea.

“They asked me what they should be covering and I gave them a raft of things that they should be looking at.

“It’s been five years since we last filmed Trawlermen and in our industry things have moved on dramatically.

“People have left us and new faces have joined and fishermen have been burdened with a whole new regime of rules and regulations,” he said.

Jimmy said as well as taking a trip aboard his vessel, Amity II, the cameraman would be filming around the harbour area.

“The company will just be taking a fresh look at things and I really think we can work with them,” he said.

“Obviously a series still has to be commissioned, but hopefully this raw footage will be enough for them to go ahead.

“These people are amazed that there are fish in the sea because all the reports they see suggest otherwise. That to me is one of the driving points for this new series.

“Hopefully we can prove that our seas are healthy and being fished sustainably and people need to eat fish!” he added.
Davie Tait,
Scotland

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:32 pm »

No need for the embarrassed face Lee we all have to learn and that is the only way, ask questions. :-))
Thank you Howard, I don’t think you have a choice you have to continue, I don’t have any more skills than you have, being an OAP I have plenty of time to make mistakes and start again. {-)   {-)  I sometimes feel the same way as you when I see some of the fantastic builds on the forums.
I have managed to get a bit more detail done on the net drums today, hydraulic pipes and the final coat of paint.
OAP? So why don't you behave like one then? Your'e producing models and skills more suited to a Rolls Royce (ex) apprentice of about 40. Regards. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

Mikasa

• Shipmate
« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2013, 06:23:14 pm »

I just sit back in amazement at Brians attention to detail and his engineering skills an excellent build and a credit to you.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2013, 09:49:37 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments gents; :-)) I don’t feel like a 40 year old Bryan. {-) {-)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2013, 10:41:43 pm »

Well it’s been one of those days, I decided to make the strengthening frames for the port and starboard sides, these frames support the sacrificial sections that protect the steel work as the trawl doors are being lowered and hauled. Everything went to plan the brass was cut to size and soldered, painted and ready to fit the sacrificial boards. After checking out some photos I decided that they were too wide. Never mind back to the drawing board tomorrow. That’s the problem with building a model without having plans.
The first photo shows the support frames that I was attempting to make, let’s hope I have a better day tomorrow.   

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:09 pm »

Small update, I did not like the deck vents that I had made a while ago so made some new ones these look a bit better and I have made then a bit bigger. I managed to make the support frames bit smaller and made the sacrificial boards for the port and starboard sides. After making a few enquiries about the boards I found out that the ones fitted to the Amity are made from very hard plastic, I decided to make the models out of rubber. I have also painted the inside of the shelter deck and fitted the net drums, and the roof.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2013, 01:53:53 am »

Absolutely cracking Brian - I'm still lurking.  :-))

pdryden

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »

Thanks for the positive comments gents; :-)) I don’t feel like a 40 year old Bryan. {-) {-)

Dont look like one either  {-) {-) {-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.