Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Joysway Focus - a first yacht  (Read 43583 times)

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
Joysway Focus - a first yacht
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:00:41 pm »

Hi - following this comment on the Serenity and Vela thread -

Ramon
How about posting some pictures of your new boat. I have seen only a few pictures of a Focus but nothing up close. Like to see inside the hull and some nice profile pictures. I know you will  enjoy this terrific hobby!
Boomer

Here are a few pics taken when sailing today which I hope may be of interest to some as well as 'Boomer'

This was the first one bought for myself around September

The second one - for the 'missus' following encouragement from the great bunch of guys at the Norwich Model Boat club came a couple of months later

A few small mods have been made - following the fore stay breaking on the intial outing all the rigging was replaced with 100 lb braided line. Batteries have been increased to 6v to improve the winch speed and the winch system in the first boat was changed to a continuous loop.
Biggest drawback was the link type fittings which are closed as a butt joint which can and did open and pull apart. This was solved by opening them up and twisting out of line slightly. Then, holding in a vice, the inner faces were filed at a taper to allow them to be closed 'overcentre' which has proved very successful.
Other refinements have been to provide better adjustment of the sails - not exactly neccessary - just 'me'.

The R/C comes ready fitted as here. As the batteries are now 5 cells they dont fit quite as well as the 4 cell packs hence the band to stop them moving

With what appears to me as a very nicely moulded glass resin hull everything is included except the batteries - this is my first 'ART anything' model and I was very impressed with the overall quality despite the small items mentioned above. Apparently - according to those who know such things - (I/we are on a very steep learning curve right now to make such a comment) it sails well too and is certainly providing a great deal of enjoyment. At least one longstanding NMBC member  has purchased one since seeing it and several have expressed an interest.

As said hope this is of interest to someone

Regards - Ramon

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Joysway Focus - a first yacht
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 08:00:50 pm »

they both look very well presented ,  i took up model yacht sailing a couple of years ago , which i find very relaxing , hope your enjoying it as much as i do ?

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:57:23 pm »

Looks nice Ramon

I've been over to eaton park a few time now with my 1m to do some testing. I'm a club member at the Broads club that sail at Filby broad. I live in holt though so eaton is a bit more convenient for some testing.

Maybe see you up there sometime? Are you planning on racing at any stage?

Steve

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:19 pm »

Hi guys, as you may have read on the other thread this is a new venture for me though I have made models of various kinds for many years.

Although that includes a few boats I have only ever 'thought' about making a yacht but have never really quite found the right moment. The decision to buy this ARTS boat has turned out to be the right one at this point in time and I find sailing it more and more infectious each time it goes on the water. My thoughts are very much to building something later this year.

Racing ? well NMBC race each Saturday March through October so as yet I haven't had the pleasure but despite my initial reluctance to get involved competitively I am beginning to see the potential attraction. Several stay after the racing and that's when I and my wife have been so warmly welcomed - we are now there most Saturdays Steve, look forward to meeting you sometime.

Regards - Ramon

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:25 pm »

Racing is great fun as it feels like an achievement at the end of the day and gives you something to go for. I've only been doing this since September last year, coming from model aircraft and am really enjoying the bankside banter that goes around!

I was racing my IOM yesterday at the Oliver Lee cup at the Chelmsford club site, it was excellent to meet some of the best racers around and gain tips on boat setup, so much so the first race after one of the guys "tweeked" my boat I managed a win in the B fleet and moved into the A fleet for a few more races.

This is a really enjoyable hobby and if i'm around i'll pop over to Eaton when they are not racing to say hello.

Steve

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Nominally ? Newport (South Wales) Practically ? Anywhere !
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »

Hi Ramon

Considering the focus as a potential yacht for later in the year

I'd be interested to read in more detail about the continuous loop winch conversion you performed on the first yacht

regards

BB

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:11:00 pm »

Hi BB,

As I've already said this is a completely new venture for me but it is on a background of modelling for many years. I do not however have the experience of sailing/yachts as yet to be able to comment knowlegeably but for what it is worth this is what was done and the reasons why.

Firstly the yacht comes with fixed sheeting points on both booms and equal run out on both sheets. Consquently the jib is allowed to move through the same arc as the main boom. With both booms out on the run that meant the jib was too far out - well past 90 degrees and spilling wind.

After reading as much as I could find about this situation I decided to fit a closed  loop to eliminate the single strain on the winch and adopt a method of restricting the jib sheet movement.  To me this appears to be working well - how it is seen by others with far more experience remains to be seen and I'm certainly open for constructive critiscism.

The yacht's existing system is fitted with an after pulley at the rudder

The forward pulley is accesible by removing this sheeting housing

The closed loop line is in two lengths attached to the winch drum at each end and a number of turns applied both ways. Using a length of soft copper wire as a hook the line was taken through both pulleys and siezed to two thimbles. The tension was applied by another seizing between the two eyes. This was the third attempt - the first had a spring between which stretched, the second had a stretched 'O' ring which appeard fine until the next day when overnight the thimble had cut through it with the tension.

The sheeting lines are attached to the aft thimble. The main sheet goes straight to the main sheeting post but the jib sheet goes aft to a turn around (made from 3mmdia stainless rod) first then forwards to the jib sheeting post

The jib travel is limited by this small (yellow) restrictor. The position for this was determined by gently squeezing a cut down crimp to the line and sliding it along to a position that had the boom out about halfway. By gently pulling the jib out by hand with the restrictor against the sheeting point the sheet was pulled through until the position was found for the crimp to be set. The restrictor was then glued to the crimp with some thick PVA type glue.

So far this has worked well - for me - it has certainly cured the air spilling from the jib. As you can imagine this is a steep learning curve and how it will be seen as experience is gained remains to be seen.

Since the last post we now have another Focus in the Norwich Club and with others interested it bodes well for the coming season.

Hope this helps you BB and anyone else who may have an interest

Regards - Ramon

Boomer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »

Ramon
Thanks for all the photos and information. The hull is certainly nice looking and the graphics eye catching. Builders from that part of the world like "loud" graphics - Color sells! I wish they'd  look at a few pictures of real racing yacht to get a few better ideas. Nonetheless, this latest entry seems like they have improved some things - your modifications seem to be improving the boat making it a viable investment.
Enjoy ! Thank you for your informative posts!
Boomer

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:26 pm »

Thanks Ramon

quite a bit to digest there - I'll probably come back with a "have I got this right" drawing shortly :)

Regards

BB

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 07:14:57 pm »

Hi Ramon.

If I have interpreted your text correctly Hopefully my attached diagram will be correct ?

The only question is the winch spindle - I take it this is a dual reel spindle so that as one winds out,
the other winds in (two "drums" vertically stacked)

That part didn't come across in the images and I have seen some online pics of the inside of a focus
where the winch servo reel is actually enclosed

regards

BB

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 08:24:01 pm »

Hi Boomer, BB,

Glad to be of help.

The graphics - well unfortunately you don't have a choice as these are already applied and under a layer of gloss clear topcoat. Incidentally I have been very surprised just how durable this clear coat is. On more that one occasion I have ended up with the yacht rubbing against the wall on the opposite side of the pond and unable to pull away. First time this happened that was my instant though - that the paint would abrade but no, no sign of it. I have to say though if it were down to choice most of those graphics wouldn't have been applied  ok2

BB Yes you have it correct, that's exactly it. The enclosed drum you refer too is the type fitted as standard but I made a new drum as the original had a very rough surface on the top section which was not used on the original set up. I was concerned that the line might pick up on the rough surface as this is obviously used with this system.

Good luck with yours if you get one , if there's any thing else I can help with just let me know

Won't be sailing tomorrow that's for sure - pond is still frozen but a thaws on the way so maybe next week

Regards - Ramon

exvtop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:50:38 am »

Hi, folks.

Would like to point out, referring to bigbloke's diagram above, that the sheeting line takeoff should be from the left side of the loop tensioner.
The reason is that if there is a strong pull from the sails - when gybeing say, the tensioner might stretch causing the loop going round the aft pulley to go slack and maybe come off the drum.

Regards,
Mike

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »

Thanks for that input Mike - another step on the learning curve  :-))  I am assuming though that this would be if the tensioner was stretchable eg a spring or elastic.

As there is no stretch in the system above - the 'tensioner' is cord and basically solid - would the situation you describe still occur?

Whatever, it's worth noting and getting in the habit of using the 'correct' one and I shall re rig it at some stage.

thanks - Ramon

exvtop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »

As there is no stretch in the system above - the 'tensioner' is cord and basically solid - would the situation you describe still occur?

Hi, Ramon,
I should think that would be OK.
Worth checking the tension from time to time though as most cords will stretch - even Dyneema does a little bit.
A lot of people use a stainless steel spring or a rubber "O" ring.

Good luck
Mike

I've put the text into quotes above

Ken

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 05:14:15 pm »

Hi Mike and Ramon

Thanks for the feedback . I'll update the diagram for the benefit of those following in my footsteps.

To ensure I understand your point correctly, you are advocating that the sail line comes off
The "left hand" of the two white circles with red borders in my diagram  (i.e. what would be the front tensioner)
because if the sails are pulled hard, the force from behind will pull the loop tighter onto the front
pulley rather than slacken the line  from behind risking the release of the back pulley.

I think if I were to make this mod I would make the tensioner from some brass rod, pillar drilled on the ends. and tapped
then screw in some tensioning hooks:

loop line--ring-Hook----Threaded shank---[SMALL PIECE OF BRASS STOCK]---threaded shank--Hook-ring--loop line

Regards

BB

who BTW after 39 years of kite making and flying is a black belt at re-braiding snapped lengths of spectra / dyneema :)

exvtop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »

To ensure I understand your point correctly, you are advocating that the sail line comes off
The "left hand" of the two white circles with red borders in my diagram  (i.e. what would be the front tensioner)
because if the sails are pulled hard, the force from behind will pull the loop tighter onto the front
pulley rather than slacken the line  from behind risking the release of the back pulley.

Hi, All
Yes, certainly if you are using "dynamic" tensioning i.e. spring or rubber.

Mike

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:36 pm »

right then!

as I committed to the other day heres the updated diagram :

I cant edit the first one (past the window of editing) so would be grateful if a mod could update the original diagram in my post above
server side please, then delete this one ?

Much to my surprise By chance, I am now a yacht owner again! managed to acquire a cheap blue / black focus in VGC locally  :-))

rigging is a bit shocking ! dont like those crimps at all - im going to re-rig with kite bridle line and fishing fittings

regards

BB

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 04:46:39 pm »

Hi BB, Congrats on acquiring a Focus.

I replaced all the original rigging on our two yachts after the forestay snapped on the first time out. I don't know if it's overkill or not but I used 100lb breaking strain braided fishing line and small fishing tackle crimps.

Should be able to get out this weekend if the winds not too strong - at least the ice has gone!

Regards - Ramon

Dicky-P

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 06:54:06 pm »

Ramon
Could you please advise the make of the fishing line you used
Thanks

dickyp

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 12:05:13 am »

Hi Dickyp,
It is Berkely superstrong green braided line -. 011" dia 100 lb breaking strain - it was expensive but got it for less than half price  ;)

Ramon

bigbloke

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 04:48:59 pm »

Ive used 100lb "climax" kite bridle line (I had a few spools of it here from kite making) and bowsies from nylet to re-rig the mast on mine thus far.
the original line and crimps were appaling.

Seems to run very nicely now other than two minor niggles :

on a downwind power run (I forget the yachting term :embarrassed: sails forming a "V" )  in a stiff breeze it tends to push its nose down into the water
whereas otherwise when tacking it tends to ride slightly "nose up"

The jib sail seems to dump wind and flap which I'm still "fiddling" with . Ive moved in the front boom fitting by about 10mm to increase sail
curvature and it seems better but waiting for the next stiff breeze sort of day to go and test it out in anger.

Grateful for any expert feedback on jib sail adjustment and curing the nosedive !

Im genuinely surprised at how much public interest it generates, the most common question is how long the engine runs for as the majority
dont believe that it pops along so nicely in only 5-6mph of wind.

I'm waiting on a BSW bolt to arrive so I can mount the waterproof micro DVR camera case on the rudder access housing , then I can take some "on deck"
video from the local pond. :-))

Regards

BB

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:40 pm »

Nose diving means too much sail, too much wind and a need for a fuller bow section
Mast rake can help but even my Mar head does it when the wind is up and I have the wrong sails rigged

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

stevo_m

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 06:45:52 pm »

I wouldn't worry about the nose diving, my IOM does it when the wind is up and I have the wrong sail set on.

Steve

Ps the sailing term you want when running downwind and the jib is on the other side to the main is "goose winging".

mrpenguin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »

Grateful for any expert feedback on jib sail adjustment and curing the nosedive !

I don't claim to be an expert  %%
However from my experience, to reduce pitchpoling (nosediving) on a downwind run, try moving the top of the mast forward 30-50mm. This will reduce the sail power (particularly high up) when running downwind. On a downwind run, you may get better overall speed by sailing a broad reach rather than goosewinging directly downwind and the boat is a bit easier to control. The quickest distance between two points is not always the shortest.....

RE your jib adjustment - increasing the curve in the foot of the jib may also reduce jib power - this can result in excessive weather helm (boat turns into the wind during a gust).

Hope this helps...
Amateur at work...

Ramon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 12:07:44 pm »

Hi BB and others,

I'm still in the learning stage as you know but the characteristic of 'nose diving' on a run happens with mine too and I notice especially if rudder is applied. Last weeks sailing saw some very smooth conditions with an unusually consistent smooth but low airflow. The week prior and just the opposite - I would say the boat was on it's limits but it did still handle the strong wind, in comparison several IOMs had reduced sail. Regarding this nose diving effect there seemed little difference week to week

One thing that the strong wind appears to have done is stretch the sails slightly on both mine and Sue's boats. To a favourable point that is as this week there were several comments form seasoned members as to how well they were set for 'flat' ripstop. How long they remain like that only time will tell.

From the outset the boat would 'luff up' (one term soon learnt  ok2 ) very quickly. After experimenting with the camber on both sails to see if that would have an effect the advice was to move the boom forward by moving the pivot (on the boom) rearwards - I drilled and tapped a series of holes at 10mm spacing rearwards from the original hole and started in the third hole - 20mm back. The effect of that was readily noticeable and the luffing tendency eased considerably. I have felt no need to move it further back though it will still show this tendency if the sails are in and heeling - I'm learning quickly that the sails not only drive the boat but but also have a great influence on its handling  %) .

One thing I can say with certainty - I should have took this up years ago  :-)

BTW we now have three Focus's - Focii? in the club and the very favourable comments and interest from other members makes it look like that that will probably increase before too long

Regards - Ramon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.