Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GET THE QE2 BACK TO THE UK ...SIGN THE PETITION  (Read 11554 times)

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
GET THE QE2 BACK TO THE UK ...SIGN THE PETITION
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:53 pm »

THERE HAS STARTED A GOVERMENT PETITION TO GET THE QE2 BACK TO THE UK....SIGN IT TO STOP GOING TO CHINA FOR SCRAP...OVER 600 HAVE SIGN TO DATE BUT IT NEEDS TO GET TO 100,000...SO PASS THE WORD.... ok2

MIKE

Rottweiler

• Full Mayhemer
Re: GET THE QE2 BACK TO THE UK ...SIGN THE PETITION
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:52:48 pm »

have you got a link to the petition?

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 09:16:06 am »

Heres the link to the petition.

Please pass this link on to people that would be interested

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/43821[/size][/font]

Mike

Dannypenguin

• Full Mayhemer
  • Current project: Paula 3 Buoy layer.
    • Shipapedia - The Wiki for ships!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 09:17:50 am »

I've signed it!  O0
"Who says I can't sink my boat there?"

http://shipapedia.wikidot.com/
A wiki for all things shipping - everyone is welcome!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 10:48:11 am »

I can't really see how this project would be financially viable. There is little published information but one report suggests that the UK consortium would pay Dubai the same as the Chinese are offering for the ship £20m, but that Dubai would then be expected to come in as a partner to fund the rest of the setup costs. I think Dubai just want to be rid of her now.

QE2 was retired because she was essentially worn out and her cabins and facilities no longer matched contemporary cruise ships so quite how you conjure up a 5 star hotel ambience from such a starting point must be problematical.

A ship, even if in a static role, is still a machine rather than a building and ongoing maintenance costs will be off the scale compared with a hotel building, even more so when you factor in the  constant battle against corrosion in our damp climate.

Large RN ships have come through the Thames Barrier but have always been moored in mid river due to their draught. QE2 needs to have a shore connection which would presumably mean excavating and maintaining a berth for her which would constantly silt up.

QE2 has only limited historical value as most of her original interiors are long gone, the power plant is not original while her external appearance has also been extensively altered over the years - so just what are you preserving? She also has no connections with London as would have been the case at Southampton.

She might get by on novelty value as a hotel for a while but rates would need to be high to cover operating costs and better accommodation at lower prices would be readily available onshore.

And in the likely scenario of the project going bust, the river authorities would be faced with the problem of disposing of 70,000 tons or so of rotting steel and aluminium which by then may effectively sitting on the bottom in a mud berth.

This may be a negative view but I think it is a realistic one.

Stephen Payne, who designed the QM2, apparently believes that the Chinese would use QE2 for accommodation purposes at Singapore.

Colin

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 11:01:48 am »

Have to whole heartedly agree with Colin.  I would also add that there have been many petitions over the last few years to save ships that have a special meaning to different people for different reasons.  I have signed a number of these for such as HMS Plymouth, Intrepid, Invincible, Ark etc but even when signing I knew it was a futile gesture which would come to nothing.  As will this petition, as much as I would hope that Im wrong this time I doubt I will be.
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

FLAT-TOP-FLYER

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:28:33 am »

What Colin says is quite right....my cousin was on the QE2 from the day she first sailed, and was on her when she went to the Falklands, and he has commented on the fact that the owners thought it was not worth the effort to keep her going,  hence why she was sold to Dubai.

Also London is the wrong place for this ship to be based......Southampton, Liverpool, and were she was built have more connections. But if she was based at the likes of Southampton, Liverpool, there would be more of a chance her being put good use.

Should you sign the petition...well thats always going to be a tricky one....the choice is yours.

Would it be a viable, thats always going to be the "get out clause" the QE2 never lost money in its time at sea, was always fully booked, some passengers paying upto £35,000.

There is and ex Cunard ship across the pond, and some people thought that was going to be a disaster, and look what happened....you never know it could happen to the QE2....

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 12:27:07 pm »

...Hi Guys...

Why not return her to her birth place.... The River Clyde...

I cant understand taking her to London...There,s no links at all...

...Best Regards...Norry...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 01:02:51 pm »

I cant understand taking her to London...There,s no links at all...

Lots of tourists though....

norry

• Full Mayhemer
  • ...Get Your Tugs Out For The Bouys...
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 01:48:13 pm »

Scotland gets visited by tourists as well...
...Get Your Tugs Out For The Buoys...

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 01:53:07 pm »

perhaps the Yanks would like her at Long Beach.

I signed, but purely to erk some beurocrat in London {-) {-) {-) {-)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 01:54:13 pm »

I expect that a lot of people will sign the petition, after all - why not, it costs them nothing.

However, if the question was 'Would you be willing to invest £500 of your own money in this project?' then I think you would see a more realistic picture of the true level of interest in the ship.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 02:27:24 pm »

683 signatures to date !!, lets face it Piers Morgan got more votes to kick him out of the US than this petition will ever get  <:(

mikearace

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »

683 signatures to date !!, lets face it Piers Morgan got more votes to kick him out of the US than this petition will ever get  <:(

And I have no doubt if a petition was started in the UK to keep him in the US it would get even more!
Not just two wheels...........and never trust a hippie

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 04:29:01 pm »

It will never happen
The cost to convert her would be to much. The only cabins you could use are the Queens grill. All the rest will need removing and rebuilding. Take a premier inn room. Look a how much space you get for a reasonable amount of money. Sorry but QE2 cabins wont cut it. OK when she was an Liner but as a Floating hotel No. This is just the tip of the Ice berg on what will need to be done to her.
Then location London will have the Biggest crowd but she would have to be next to  Tower bridge any futher down stream she will be to far out of town to attract the big money to stay on her.
Glasgow and Southamton both have better links with her but were to put her.
Glasgow ,the river Clyde will need to be dredged and I doubt she will clear the Erskine bridge.
Southampton is an active port so any berth will be very expensive.
Colin hit the nail on the head
John

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:12:58 pm »

Can't see the point of preserving something if it's not in more or less it's original state. So by the time you've gutted this boat and put a whole new set of accommodation in, you've basically got a hull. And I suppose some turbines and stuff, but how many people really appreciate that sort of thing in the paying public.

Personally I never like the look of QE2 anyway. Sorry  :embarrassed:

Actually, I think these petitions only force a parliamentary debate when they get enough votes. Can't see that gaining anything useful in this case.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 09:11:50 pm »

I have to agree with Colin, realistically there is no chance of any restoration being financially viable. I was lucky enough to travel from Sydney to Southampton on her in 2008, on the homeward leg of her final world cruise, and was saddened when she was retired. However, nothing lasts forever and, as Colin pointed out, QE2 was surpassed by the newer ships as regards the standard of accommodation etc, a standard that is expected by today's travellers.

One thing the modern cruise ships can't match with QE2 is her speed. The captains we had on our voyage were fond of telling anyone who would listen that QE2 could go faster astern than most of the new vessels are capable of full ahead. I can tell you from personal experience that the wake left by 70,000 tons moving at 30 knots is quite impressive.

I have my memories of a famous ship, plus hundreds of photos and a couple of books to keep those memories alive. While I would be sad to see her broken up, or worse, left to rot, reason tells me that she has lived her long life, and can't go on forever.

Peter.

Stavros

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:13:51 pm »

What a total waste of energy it simply will NOT happen it will cost far to much

Dave

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 11:02:15 pm »

Why ?
Where ?
How much !!!!! ?

No thanks !!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:10 am »

If there was a "like" button to show you agreed with posts it would save time." Like", Stav.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 08:17:47 am »

Have to agree wth Colin on this one if the ship came back to the UK it would hve to pay its way just like any other business as it
            wont make enough money by foot fall alone.  Having served for three years as a volunteer on HMS Plymouth in Glasgow we
             had to market the ship for corporate events to get the big $$ as the running costs as quite high.   Even the yanks do this
            with their preserved WWII battlewagons and some of the set ups they have are fantastic.  They have a berth built for the
            ship and a dockside museum to boot and you have got to hand it to them they do take an interest in their ships. 
             Millions of dollars seem to be found to refurbish these ships and display them.

Norrie sorry to have to tell you but as much as a Clyde Built enthusiast as I am we on the other side of hadrians wall do not
            have enough interest in maritime history I learned that from my time on the Plymouth.  If school party came on say 30 kids
            they would run through ship because they were only interested in getting on to the main deck where the guns were. They
             were only contented once they had a go at elevating the oerlikon and feeding their faces at the tuck shop.. says it all
              If it was football orientated different story.   Would be better if the yanks took her they could afford it and they would take an
             interest in it.   ie       http://www.ussalabama.com/

Frank.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 10:56:44 am »

I'm all in favour of preserving ships if the conditions are right but usually they are not. It's certainly true to say that the Americans are more enthusiastic in this respect but even their projects are frequently financially precarious. Also, I think that the 'adopted' battleship schemes depended very much on veterans who had served on them and as these people pass on it will be more difficult to keep the projects viable.

In the UK even a small operational ship like Waverley cannot support herself without regular large donations of extra funding, most recently from some generous lottery winners, and Balmoral, which was intended to generate extra funding to support Waverley, will not be running this year.

I think it is fair to say that just about all preserved ships in the UK are in a weak or marginal financial situation from HMS Victory down, and face a constant struggle for long term survival.

If QE2 came to Greenwich I doubt if there are many on this Forum who would pay the £300 or so per cabin per night to stay aboard her although we might fork out a tenner to tour the ship and even then probably just the once. As stated earlier, only the poshest cabins would be suitable for hotel purposes and there may not be enough of them to bring in the needed revenue. As a tourist attraction the ship would be competing with the likes of the Tower of London, St Paul's Cathedral, Westminster Abbey etc. etc and foreign visitors would not see her as much of a priority.

Colin

sailorboy61

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 11:01:43 am »

There are lots of famous ships with great names and history behind them.

You cannot 'just preserve' them, especially, n this day and age with huge financial constraints. In any case, within a few years, those to whom the name QEII means anything will be long gone.
In MHO, lovely idea, totally impractical - there are much more money worthy causes out there if you're looking to 'loose' some cash!

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 11:45:23 am »

so long as I as a tax payer don't have to foot the bill, they can do what they want with her!!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:47 pm »

Much  cheaper to ship ( ) it back as cars, cookers, TVs etc.   :-))

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.