Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Thames lighters  (Read 32300 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Thames lighters
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:12:54 pm »

I am thinking of building a Thames lighter to be towed by my Thames tug 1/32 scale or near it.

I have looked at the Mountfleet kit which looks good, are there any others I should consider? there do not seem to be many available.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Many thank Chris G   

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Thames lighters
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 03:57:18 pm »

Maybe not exactly what you are asking about but I think this was the Thames build I enjoyed seeing most last year. A Tosher and not expensive either ... And a bit different http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37301.0

Dave

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 04:37:18 pm »

Thank you Dave although the model you forwarded to me is not unlike the tug I intend to tow the lighter behind.
I have a particular interest in these craft as one of my relatives in days long gone by was a Thames Lighterman and I have copies of his apprenticeship papers.
I would just like to build something appropriate to go with the tug.

Thanks Chris

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 06:01:00 pm »

Why not make one they are fairly basic box hulls.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:04:38 pm »

Wasn't there a free plan for a lighter in October's Marine Modelling?
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:46:40 pm »

Thank you for the ideas.
I was considering a scratch build, always been frightened of the concept but realise when building a kit a lot of the work that goes into it is the equivalent of scratch build. There are always bits we don't like and modify.
I want to pull this behind an early Caldercraft 'Riverman' although both will realistically spend most of their time in the work room being admired, by me.
The 'Mountfleet' kit seemed good value at around £150, especially when you consider how much we spend on bits and pieces, I saw scale figures today priced at £12.
 Again many thanks I will Google Marine Modelling.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »

Have You looked at mobile marine models there have a few good 1:32 scale hulls, kits ring Brian he,s a very friendly chap or if you go up and see them there just north of Lincoln you,ll be made most welcome,
    Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:52:02 pm »

Hello Howard and thanks.

I have bought stuff from MMM and am impressed with their bits especially some of the winches which are beautiful but was hoping for a hull with more detail, I think theirs tend to be slab sided.
I hope to pull this behind an old Caldercraft 'Riverman' that is very pretty so want the tug to be in keeping.   

I will continue to investigate even though retired have quite a lot on the go so no hurry.

Thanks and take care Chris G 

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »

A thames lighter is really simple to make, it is all slab sided, no shaped bows or stern runs to make. The deck fittings are simple, 5 x bollards one on each corner, a shallow combing hatch each end, short funnel aft a bollard right aft, a large ring with a length of 7" grass rope spliced to it about 25ft in length right forward and a small simple barrel windlass between two bits forward.

thamestug

• Full Mayhemer
  • RAINHAM KENT
    • LONDON LIGHTERAGE TUGS
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:38 pm »

Just been looking at the pics of the mountfleet model lighter but i dont think that is the true configuration of a swim-headed thames lighter it is more like a liverpool or humber craft i think

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 10:27:13 am »

I thank you both for your suggestions, decision time  {:-{

Although the Mountfleet lighter does not look like the Thames lighter which were just basic floating tanks and there were many thousands of them, I think it is an attractive model. If Riverman and the lighter are ever seen together I will have a lot of explaining to do.

I thank you both for your interest, Take care Chris G   

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 04:12:52 pm »

Gentlemen

To say a Thames lighter is just a box makes me want to scream! >>:-(
Joking aside the new ones that I work on are rather boxy but the more traditional ones do have some very refined shapes. If you could bare the pain of reading a diatribe of details I will happily write up a treatise on it.
However I have made a mould with plate and rivet detail for a shapely 180tonner and can easily do a GRP hull if you were interested?
The LOA is about 34 in X 7 in beam and I built it to 1/32nd scale. I have made a few hulls from it and lads a work that have had model tugs off me I have given them so they may want to finish and fit them out.
i also have some drawings that i got out of the skip in the barge yard a while back after the truly destructive action that companies have of "its old get rid of it" view these days.
so if there is any interest i am happy to put some words and music together on the subject.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 04:27:22 pm »

Hi I think that would be very good of you and a lot members on here would be interested to see your work I know i would.
          Regards Howard.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 04:41:40 pm »

I second the last entry, I would love to see this work and I apologise for my description of the Thames Lighters.

Chris G

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 04:51:20 pm »

I positively look forward to your diatribe but would appreciate some pictures too...
and you want do do another diatribe on Toshers -  :}  :-))

Dave

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 05:43:18 pm »

No need for any apologies I have cursed them many times and referred to them worse than just a tank… But its sounded much the same!
I will put some words and music together and do a posting. Hope no one will grass me up if I illustrate the waffle with culled pictures from the net?
 the first picture is of a barge/lighter that we refer to as a "punt" these were small barges built to be rowed or driven by a lone lighterman under oars. these ranged in carrying capacity from 50- 100 tons and union agreements depending on the size gave the manning level.
there is in our trade a slang for bits as in most trades and i will try and explain these as i use them, or if there is a strange word ie Huff and i dont explain it then please ask.
Huff= opposite to Huddis... there thats simple huh?

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 06:35:38 pm »

Hello Lighterman, yep that is just like the lighters I remember. Built like the proferable brick ---- houses. Watch one get blown across the Tilbury Docks new extension, it hit a ships mooring bollard on the jetty, the lighter just moved down the wall with out a scratch, the bollard sheered off level with the ground and rolled about 50ft into the container park all 1 ton of it. Nice model  lighter with nice deck detail.

dodes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 06:40:46 pm »

Hi Lighterman, just to say I refered to box for a lighter, as I was a saliorman for a short while and well our things did have a bit of shape to them.

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2013, 09:50:25 pm »

You are quite right dodes compared with sailing barges they where very boxy, there were a few Long-un's (craft built to go up the canal a lee) that were the shape close to sailing barges. I have towed a few ex grey funnel line barges and they had some very odd shapes some sort of cross with a stem and curved swims. talk to any old-time merchant navy men and barges were just "them bleeding paint removers" i have started the great writing of a lighterman's view of lighters and how to model them. The odd thing is how much "crap" i carry about in my nut and getting it out on paper/screen is harder than the actual doing.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2013, 10:47:38 pm »

The odd thing is how much "'rubbish'" i carry about in my nut and getting it out on paper/screen is harder than the actual doing.
But just think how much Lighter you'll feel when it' out  {-)

lighterman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:55:28 pm »

oh we want to play the spoonerism and double entendre game huh? well i am walking on the [/size]ceiling over this article and my gussets are caulked!
[/size]
[/size]

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 06:02:07 pm »

[font=arial              gussets
:o so soak them in Lighter fuel

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 07:24:58 pm »

Somthing like these would look good on your tug

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Thames lighters
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »

Thanks tugnut

That looks absolutely fabulous, presume scratch build, the tug looks excellent but towing a pair, great.

That is in line with what I am hoping to achieve.

Great photo thanks Chris G

tugnut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:52 pm »

Hi Chris, they are scratch built.
regards John B
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 22 queries.