Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: FRIGHTENING  (Read 7927 times)

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: FRIGHTENING
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2007, 11:28:30 pm »

The spookiest thing is all these salty old sea-dogs  now building and sailing model BOATS!!
 :)

Bob
Officially a GOG.

PSSHIPS

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2007, 11:31:18 pm »

Even more scary BOB, the salty old seadog that is building every ship that he ever set foot on, including Victoria Peak, grain carrier amongst others! Never mind served on!
 Paul...

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2007, 11:36:32 pm »

Paul,

I've just started the ball rolling with a new thread in Chit-Chat for now, lets see if it generates any enthusiasm.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

PSSHIPS

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 11:37:49 pm »

Good plan, lets hit it where ever we can, LOL :D

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 10:08:51 am »

Now this one is actually true because I read the report only a year or so ago.

An engineer was doing a final inspection inside the scavenge space of a large slow speed marine engine after a cleaning session.  The door swung closed under a slight movement of the ship and one of the dogs fell across the door. 

No one realised he was inside so they dogged up the door and left port not even realising he was missing.

Can you begin to imagine sitting in the pitch black inside a diesel engine, waiting for the moment when it would burst into life, ending yours, and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it?

Which is why it always made sense when doing a boiler drum inspection to take at least one of the manhole dogs inside with you!  ;)

Barry M

catengineman

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2007, 07:28:32 pm »

On entering a confined space there are rules,

Myself I fit a "lockout" so that the door, hatch cover CAN NOT be closed in any instants.
Tally boards are used to denote the person/s inside and there "should" be two persons outside for every one person inside the confined space.

I have lost friends from them working alone and had two friends badly burnt when a flash happened while spraying.

I know that there are some people out there that can and do disregard all aspects of safe working conditions and it can seen funny to tell stories of ghosts etc please remember that people have lost THIER lives.

Richard,

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2007, 07:41:34 pm »

If Safety guidelines are followed, there should never be any fatalities in confined spaces.

I just wish that all industries/ professions would follow them - they work!

I have to jump through hoops backwards and upside down to get a man into a confined space, but, when I sign over the space I know its safe! I usually go in first to give the mechies confidence in the syatem.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2007, 07:49:31 pm »

What I find worrying is that there seems to be little official distinction between the vital safety procedures being described here and the vast number of unnecessary ones such as labelling a packet of peanuts "Warning! Contains Nuts" etc. The important stuff gets diluted and the real risks increase.

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:13 pm »

The spookiest thing is all these salty old sea-dogs  now building and sailing model BOATS!!
 :)

Bob
That is because we have all seeen it and done it. I love ships but heaven forfend that I should ever set sail or sail on one again!
Notes from a simple seaman

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 01:33:35 pm »

On entering a confined space there are rules,

Myself I fit a "lockout" so that the door, hatch cover CAN NOT be closed in any instants.
Tally boards are used to denote the person/s inside and there "should" be two persons outside for every one person inside the confined space.

I have lost friends from them working alone and had two friends badly burnt when a flash happened while spraying.

I know that there are some people out there that can and do disregard all aspects of safe working conditions and it can seen funny to tell stories of ghosts etc please remember that people have lost THIER lives.

Richard,

Isn't this process common for all hazardous areas? A power plant I was in referred to their system as Loto - scary huh?

Actually stood for "Lock-out Tag-out" - you lock-out the controls with a pad-lock and tag the mimics in the control room so the operators know about the lockout
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 22 queries.