Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Esc advice#power set-up for 31" Huntsman  (Read 2687 times)

gliggsy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Esc advice#power set-up for 31" Huntsman
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:37:38 pm »

got my first boat, a fairey huntsman 31" part built and am looking for some ideas for a power set up, now I have retrieved a brushed 12 volt motor from a cordless drill and coupled it to a Graupner navy V40-60 esc which i happened to have in my spares box, tried to run it using a servo tester but can only get it to run one way, does it need to be controlled via Tx to get reverse? It does seem to have, what I would consider a decent speed range but then I am only guessing, what prop size and speed should I be looking at for a model this size? Motor is about 36mmx56mm with a 1/8" shaft just to give some perspective. I know I could just plunge my hand in my pocket and buy me a decent set-up but then I'm from Yorkshire and summat from nowt feels much more satisfying O0 .....G    Ps why is it so difficult to post on this site,,,,, 6 attempts, verification code impossible to see and shortcut u/s   !!!!!!!!

bj

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Esc advice#power set-up for 31" Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:46 am »

Go back to a post by CAPTAIN FLACK on June 11th 2012. There is a chart of motors/hulls/props that will give you an indication of what you need for your hull.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:18:55 am »

Go back to a post by CAPTAIN FLACK on June 11th 2012. There is a chart of motors/hulls/props that will give you an indication of what you need for your hull.

Got a link, or a clue to which thread this was in?

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 12:21:22 pm »

gliggsey the verification code thingy will disappear after 10 posts this is to make sure you are a human being ha ha.

Firstly welcome to the madhouse so to speak there is a wealth of knowledge on this site.

Regarding the esc/motor YES I think you will need to couple to a tx to get reverse BUUT I will stand corrected on that statement.As regarding your motor Personally I think you will find it CURRENT hungry....what I mean with this is that you will get short run times.

Prop size with that motor...usually in drills they are an 850 series motor(unless I am wrong)....the max prop that I would recommend would be a 55mm 2 bladed plastic prop........in your case I would suggest around the 40-50,, range,this will allow the motor to spin up to it's max rpm which I would guess would be around 9000rpm.

Now being a yorkshireman and knowing what you guys are like !!!!! Do a search on hte forum for Huntsman builds and you will find a host of info on what motors the guys are running and go from there

Dave

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 12:35:53 pm »

Dave,
I got a brutal 550 out of a cordless drill.
Sent a Perkassa on plane but was very power hungry.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 05:00:30 pm »

Got a link, or a clue to which thread this was in?

Ipads are not friendly for displaying links but PC are, see
 [size=78%]http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37609.msg377048.html#msg377048[/size]

and if the link does not work then copy and paste......

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2014, 10:55:42 pm »

Thanks bj - link works fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.