Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman Build  (Read 31299 times)

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman Build
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:22 pm »

After delving further I have found that the switch is rated at 16amp, will this cope or do I have to go into relays etc to switch the main power on and off?

Its okay Jan, this is what the forum is all about, getting everyones experiences together to help those who are lesser experienced
I appreciate everyones ideas, and hopefully some people will like my mine.
Im just a beginner by a long chalk compared to some of the veterans of boat modelling
But I do enjoy listening to everyones experiences, its what makes this forum so great....I do hope I get a gold star for this. :-))

Regards
Steve.

Stavros

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2013, 08:16:30 pm »

MMMMM I must admit I NEVER use a switch on voltages above 7.2v as I have had switches blowing in the past.I allways use XT60 plugs from component shop.TBH with you if you are going to use a switch then I would use a constant Amperage Realy of around 40Amps ...just to be on the safe side................Personally I WOULDNT BOTHER

Dave

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2013, 08:54:11 pm »

Same here, cutting the power is done simply by disconnecting the battery by pulling the Ø4 mm plug.

Or if it's a competition boat, by removing the mandatory emergency cut off cable.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »

Yes fair dues, I see your point chaps, I think I will omit the switch, I have plenty of lids for the boxes  so its no problem.

Thanks for that.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »

Hello again everyone, as you have read from my build log I am using two 900 motors running on 24volts, if I have gone down the route of brushless motors and lipos what would have been their equivalent? Im just curious for the future..plus when I have some spare pennies.
I would expect theres alot of people like me that don't have much experience in these fields.

Thanks
Steve.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 10:30:16 pm »

Hi Steve, it would be interesting to see if anybody has any factual data on the 900 motors, rather than "they go fast" etc, it would make comparisons easier to brushless.

As you know, I have single screw 880kv scorpion brushless and achieve 24mph, with a 1.14;1 ratio with a propshop 3 blade cleaver equivalent to x55 in terms of amp draw, which peaks at just over 80amps ( :embarrassed: )

Later this year, time permitting, I will convert to twin brushless, and will use 880kv turnigy t600 outrunners on direct drive. If you have a look at my Fireboat build http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39278.0 you will see in that boat the setup, with cheaper inferior motors. The turnigy produced excellent results as single screw in the huntsman, and they are not very expensive, you just need two esc's that can handle the amps, in the fireboat its under 50amps, you will see results in my Huntsman build, hope that helps :-))   

Stavros

« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2013, 10:44:42 pm »

Hi red181 I have done back to back comparrisons on the huntsman with a friend of Mine who has a huntsman with a pair of 900 motos on 55mm props direct drive running 22v lipos and a Huntsman single prop 800kva Turnigy motor Robbie speed controller 70a( I think) 55mm prop This was also direct drive.
We ran both boats alongside each other and to be perfectly honest with you there was not much in it,Mine with the brushless had the edje slightly over the 900 motor one and we put it down to the extra 1600 rpm that the Brushless had.The twin Motored Huntsman was better on a flat out turn far more stable than a single one.
I will run up a 900 motor and give you a rpm at 12v and 24 v and the current draw in AIR so you got something to go on if it helps

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2013, 10:50:46 pm »

good info Dave, is the 900 heavy, it looks a big thing, the advantage of brushed I would think is that esc's are much cheaper and repairable, personally, I prefer brushless, lipo etc, probably due to the fact I have helicopters so have had quite a bit of experience with them, and I own a load of lipos! but....... as you cant drain them flat, sometimes its frustrating having to pack up when you just want that extra few minutes!

Would liked to have seen that comparison, not only for the motors, but the difference between single amd twin screw, I wonder if there is much difference or is it more cosmetic, very interesting.......

Paul

Stavros

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2013, 10:59:07 pm »

ill weigh them tomorrow if I get the chance as I got another turnigy spare I personally think they are about the same not a lot in it.
It was an interesting comparrison and to be fair I was really surprised as I expected the twin motored one to be quicker But when you think about it logically or even not a hull will only achieve a max speed irrelevant of how many motors it has,due to it's coeffiecient of whatever ...YOU know what I mean .
The speed controllers that I use for the 900 are form ACTion  and they are the 30Amp ones and they are £57 ea

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:41 pm »

I would love to see this if you do it again, sorry to hijack the thread!, with single screw I cant get more than 24.5mph as the boat then is too unstable, the increased prop size wants to turn the boat over,  I was wondering if twin would let me go faster, and more importantyly more efficiently, less amps and a tad longer :} , I dont have trim tabs didnt really want them, it has torque roll at that speed, but goes a bit of a handful if you hit a wave a bit wrong!, (very tight clenched bum cheeks!)

Stavros

« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2013, 11:16:04 pm »

Cant see it happening as she is for sale on ebay....TBH couldnt handle her far to unstable for MY liking tourque roll etc etc tec I know what yoou mena by clenched etc etc etc

Dave

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:00 pm »

Bit fed up tonight, I tried my motors for the first time and Im sorry to say the Action P94 isn't up to the job my batteries wasn't even fully charged only giving out 21.5 volts, soon as I cranked the power up they ran up for a few seconds and then hardly anything.
The circuit board wasn't hot at all so nothing burnt out.

So now its back to the drawing board and choose another Esc, any ideas anyone?

Steve.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2013, 09:32:45 pm »

Hi Steve,

Please charge the batteries completely and test again, barely 1,V per cell isn't much, it's close to fully depleted...
Experimenting like this could damage the cells beyond recovery.
A NiMh cell fresh (and warm) from the charger should have 1,4V, dropping down to 1,2V once the motores have ran for a few seconds.

Without sufficient juice, you can't blame the ESC...

And the crappy Tamiya connectors don't help either, or did you replace those already?

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2013, 11:18:15 pm »

+1 on the connectors, I personally would not touch tamiya, rated at something like 5 amps and you are pushing way over that through them, and very little contact surface, I use 5mm gold sprung bullets, they are never coming loose! for a couple of quid why after all this work are you risking fire and /or disconnecting tamiya blocks

If you are ever up the Wirral area, or my club lake, st helens merseyside, give me a shout, you can try some lipos in your boat :-)) 

Hate to say this, but are the motors new? some time ago there where some copy 900's floating around ebay that where not up to scratch, and how new are you packs? they might want a few cycles through them. I race club 500, they have controlled 7.4 nimh packs, I discharge fully with a test light, then charge again with my balance charger, I can see how many mah are going back in the packs, If I charge on a sat night fully, then recharge on the sunday morning they take another 500mah, so after only 9 hrs thats the capacity they have lost, hope that is useful! ok2

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2013, 02:03:04 am »

Thanks guys, I will get the batteries fully charged and try again, all connectors are now EC5"s
Batteries are brand new, maybe it is the batteries low on charge, it seemed strange as the mixer was not hot at all and no tell tale smells
of anything melted.
What other ESC's could I use? if using two units how are they connected so they run together off of one stick?
Catch you all later hopefully with good news.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2013, 06:27:35 pm »

Success!!! Batteries fully charged with iMax B6 charger, put back in the boat and run up, smooth start and great acceleration.
Mixer working fine now, Phew !!! I had thoughts of buying replacements.

All good now, on with the build.
That is in between maintaing my Robbe Atlantis, a few jobs to do there.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

I have seen some of you quoting how fast your boats go, but how exactly do you measure it?
Mines all painted inside now, getting ready for sticking the deck down.
 %%

Steve

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2013, 11:17:49 pm »

I luckily have eagle tree data logging, with rpm and gps add ons, so I can measure gps speed, motor revs and with an lcd display get mah, volts, amps, and some more.Some sort of amp reader is vital to protect your motors and esc's whilst testing , I got one from 4max for 15 quid, it just goes in line and will record your max mah amd amp

inertia

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2013, 08:41:47 am »

Mixer working fine now, Phew !!! I had thoughts of buying replacements.
Steve.
O ye of little faith...................
DM

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2013, 08:47:52 am »

Does anyone know where I can buy some nice chromed fittings for my Huntsman?

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:38 pm »

Hi Steve, sorry but I always seem to be jumping in, only because I have been through all your problems! :}

Genuine chrome fittings are all but impossible to find, I tried for months and months, the next best alternative is nickel plated, good quality ones are a very good compromise.

There are plastic alternatives, but I thought they looked cheap, and all the so called chrome paint is just bright silver, with the exception of alclad, very expensive, but does what it says on the tin!

My winch is a graupner nickel plated, the deck hooks are chrome plated from scoonies hobbies, the big find were the cleats, aeronaught chrome plated (could be spelt wrong), the front chrome bumper, the chrome plates for mooring ropes, and the corners of the transom are all chrome sticky back plastic, mounted on thin plasticard, the chrome rivets are dressmakers pins, the vents I vac formed myself (all details and pics in my huntsman build log), chrome window frames I settled for humbrol aluminium paint, and buffed it up, thinking bright chrome might look tacky, however, on the refit I will paint with alclad chrome paint like the vents, grab rails and posts are stainless steel, most model train peeps have these, I cant remember my source, the chrome front fender Steve at Scale Hobbies in skelmersdale had custom made for me, and after all that, I sailed in salt water and tarnished the lot >:-o !!

Paul

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2013, 03:07:21 pm »

Hello again, don't apologise ever, I value everyones tips, tricks and ideas.
Thank you for your help, I know when I had my railings chrome plated on my Atlantis it was a seventy quid touch.
Its just knowing where to look for the right stuff, I want to make my Huntsman stand out so if anything comes to mind just let me know.

Thanks once again.
Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2013, 10:11:24 pm »

Today I am doing a bit of experimenting, a while ago I came across a black epoxy adhesive which has a consistency of black treacle when mixed and sets in 24 hours at room temperature.
Im using walnut strip for my decking and I have made a test piece with a 1mm and 2mm gap.
I then worked the adhesive into the gaps and now its drying, hopefully it will sand back and leave a perfect caulked finish.
I had concernes that it would stain the wood but so far so good and its looking pretty promising. The adhesive sells for around a fiver a packet, its basically an electrical potting compound, heres some pictures.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2013, 10:13:32 pm »

Tomorrow I will attempt to sand it back and show you the results.....fingers crossed  :-))

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2013, 11:40:37 am »

Well as they say " The results are in" All sanded back and a wipe of white spirits to clean the dust off.
Only down side is my sander decided to burn out.
But on the whole well pleased with the results.
So now to get my deck done, well when I get back from the States that is, in a weeks time, work has got in the way yet again.
Spose the bills need to be paid at the end of the day.
Anyway see what you think.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.