Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman Build  (Read 31294 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman Build
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2013, 12:08:40 pm »

I recon that's precision to the  N'th degree.     :}

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2013, 12:10:01 pm »

Hi Steve,

That looks very promising indeed!

Could you elaborate on the 'black epoxy adhesive' you used?

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2013, 12:36:05 pm »

Here is the link to the stuff I used.
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potting-compounds/1991402/?origin=PSF_435902|cav

Cheers
Steve.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2013, 12:47:18 pm »

Thanks Steve,

It looks like to be standard epoxy with black pigment added, cleverly packed in a mixing pouch.

If you have access to black toner (from a printer), mixing that with regular clear epoxy resin (prior to adding the hardener), will give similar results, but gives you the advantage of being able to mix the amount you'll need, instead of what the manufacturer prepared for you...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »

Really looks the part Steve  :-))

Dave

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2013, 08:15:27 pm »

Today I made a start on planking my deck, I have used 1mm Thick x 7mm wide walnut strip.
Hasn't gone to badly so far and pleased with todays results.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2013, 07:38:35 pm »

A little more progress so far this week, I want to try and reproduce the deck more or less as the real thing, a bit more of a challenge
but well worth the effort.

Steve.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2013, 08:21:29 pm »

That's going to look amazingly well!

Keep up the good work.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2013, 08:58:32 pm »

A little bit more done today, although a trip to Coalville broke the day up and was very interesting to see what else is out there.
Plus It was nice to meet Mr Milbourne and put a face to the name after having conversations and emails seeking his advice about his products.

Thats all for now folks
Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2013, 04:21:36 pm »

Looking okay so far.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2013, 05:00:36 pm »

Deserves a little more than "Okay" I think steve!  O0  Looking the bizz - well done. With such a variety of adhesives available, a question I always seem to ask about planking is 'what glue did you use'?  Just a collection of info for my armoury.
                                Regards, Tony.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer

Thanks for the comments, it makes the doing more worth the while.
I just used professional quality thin cyanoacrylate, then I will use black epoxy for the caulking as i experimented with earlier in the post.
Im trying to get the deck as near to the real thing as possible, so fingers crossed all will turn out okay.

Yet again thank you.
Steve.

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2013, 05:29:03 pm »

Cheers Steve, reason I asked re glue is that I've just had a go at my first wooden boat and although it came with pre-marked deck planking in sheet form, they didn't line up well at the joints so it was an opportunity to have my first go at planking. I used 0.5mm Mahogany veneer (donated by a good friend) razor cut to width and I too used superglue but was both unlucky and not careful enough I think as it bled through and cappillaried at some of the the ends and in some other places which darkened the planks dramatically, sanding would not rectify - clumsy glued fingers didn't help either though to be honest! O0 {-) {-) .  Recently been given a good tip by a cracking modeller Stan Reffin, he uses De-luxe materials r/c modellers glue, a little like thin pva apparently but glues well, dries clear and doesn't stain.
              Anyway will be lurking in the background so please keep posting, Regards, Tony. :-))

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2013, 06:15:53 pm »

Well feel free to lurk as often as you need, maybe the veneer you used was a little thin, I use a minimum of 1mm thick it has a good sanding allowance. I have used Aliphatic wood glue for most of the build but I noticed when I started planking it didn't lie as flat to the surface.
I enjoy passing on my experiences along the way, this site is so valuable for help and theres a wealth of experience out there.
Anyway thanks again for the interest.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2013, 04:58:51 pm »

Well its been quite a nightmare these past two weeks, I ran out of wood to plank my deck. BIG LESSON LEARNT!!!!
However after alot of experimenting I think I have found away around it by careful staining.
The pictures show different stages which I had to do to prove I could match everything together without ripping it all off and starting again.
Hopefully all will be alright in the end.

Steve.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2013, 10:15:53 pm »

Another picture of my efforts, all at different stages.

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2013, 02:07:59 pm »

A bit more cleaning up done today :-)

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »

Love the image 1319 Steve, cracking job - well done you :-))

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2013, 03:00:44 pm »

Thanks I have been quite concerned as when I ordered more wood it was a totally different colour at first but I think I have managed to blend it all in, its the unfinished part which is the new wood. In future I will make sure I have more than enough wood to complete the whole deck.
Now that I have an indication that I have cracked it I can move on and complete the decking.

Thanks for the encouraging remarks.
Steve

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2013, 05:40:07 pm »

I thought I would take a break for a while, I felt as though I was doing too much too quickly and ending up being disappointed with the results.
So time to step back.

As its my club regatta next weekend I have been preparing my Atlantis AKA Lady Marion for a days sailing, my twelve year old daughter has been showing an interest also.
So this year so that she can get involved we have built a little Club 500 between us.
Its nice to think theres new blood coming into the hobby.

Will be back on the Huntsman soon watch this space! :-))

Steve.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2013, 06:55:09 pm »

Fair play, doing a FANTASTIC job of creating an excellent replica of the real boat. :-))
I've always loved Fairey boats. My Uncle had a Huntsman 31 with aft cabin like your model and a Super Swordsman 33 after that. They are such a classy looking boat.
I have a Precedent Huntsman model, but I want to convert it from aft cabin to aft cockpit instead, as I prefer the shape.
Anyway, keep up the excellent quality work/build and really can't wait to see the end product.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2013, 06:35:41 pm »

Hello again all, sorry I have not been on here for a while, alot of heavy work commitments has meant that the build has to go on hold all of this time.
I have not been too happy with my deck planking, remember I had run out of wood and could not match it up.
I think I am going to re-do it all this time with more than enough wood,
My question is what is the nearest wood I would get to teak? without someone saying TEAK.
From what I see no one does it and was wondering whats the next best match?

Thanks for any info.

Steve.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2013, 07:42:46 pm »

Hi Steve, this is one of the pictures that I tried to replicate, I have replied to your pm, see how weathered it is, almost grey in colour, and on the Fairey website most look like this, I tried a off white wash before the ronseal mentioned in the pm, but the grey caulking went white which lost all the effort of the caulking, so I rubbed down and ended up doing it as in the pm, 

Paul

Steve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2014, 12:48:45 pm »

Hello all and a happy New Year :-))

Its been along time since I have been on here due to other commitments. However the Huntsman is still coming together gradually.
I have a question or more curiosity. I am not up on these new type of brushless motors but I hope to use them in the future.
Can anyone tell me what would be the equivalent of a 900 brushed motor in brushless terms and what sort of batteries would be needed.
And what controls them, at the moment I am using two 900 motors running on 24 volts via an Action 97 mixer.
What would I need to convert this to brushless?

Thanks for any advice given.

Steve.

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »

Hi Steve,

Basically you need everything to be able to run a brushless equivalent of the 900 motors.

I'm guessing the 24V comes from SLA batteries, which are not very good at delivering high current for a longer period of time...
If the 24V come from quality NiMH cellpacks (20-24 cells per motor), you could use those, until you can afford lipo's.

I'd recommend two of these:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/D2VN-New-Aeolian-C4250-06-KV800-Outrunner-Brushless-Motor-for-RC-Airplane-Aircra-/131015174601?pt=RC_Modellbau&hash=item1e811ce9c9

I'm running one of these in my MAS (110 cm 3-4Kg) on 4S lipo (14,8V, two packs in  parallel for long runtimes) turning a Ø60 mm two blade prop with coarse pitch.

To get an idea of the speed, see this video, made last summer on the river Weser in Germany:
Turn up the sound (really) high to hear the running noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-igDcvLySEM

Currently I'm using this ESC:
http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiModel_ICE_100A_2-6S_Water-cooled_Brushless_Navy_ESC_ICE-100A.html
This ESC works flawless in my single motor application, but getting two to sync needs two receiver channels and a computer transmitter with elaborate mixer options, according to my buddy, who runs two of these ESC's in his boat.

If your Action 97 mixer can handle two brushless ESC's that should work too, but you need two ESC's with identical neutral points to get them to work.

I chose the ICE ESC because I'm using them in my fast electrics and the price is reasonable.
There are not many alternatives in this price segment that have reverse, Graupner has a few, but these are currently out of stock:
http://www.graupner.de/de/products/fe157a63-1203-43c8-866d-64197ac67366/7258/product.aspx

With the two 4800mAh (budget) Lipo's wired in parallel, mixed running, meaning 80% at a brisk walking pace, with the occasional 200m speed run, gives me more than two hours of continuous running, the average ampdraw is 4,5A/h

Let me know if you need more info.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 23 queries.