Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: waveney build  (Read 3100 times)

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
waveney build
« on: May 12, 2006, 07:36:57 pm »

Hi there, just thought that I would bring you up to speed on Metcalfs  Waveney. on the previos forum i asked for advice. got some, not good. however i checked out previos reveiws and they seemed ok.
Thought about what you had to say and decided to look at it first. I was reasonably happy with it. The hull seemed to be solid, and the fittings were ok. So I bought it. Week before Easter. I really enjoyed building it, everything went together reasonably well, provided I took precautions, i.e. Use a square and measure to make sure. now heres the rub. been trying to mark in the boot topping. not rocket science, turn her upside down, measure off, scribe a line. like hell. it did not work. hardly any freeboard left. measured and checked again, still no joy. e-mailed Dave Metcalf, explained the situation and got a reply to use the hull. What? replied back asking for more info, some measurments he used, no reply. measured the dwg against the hull, big difference. so tried using a scale factor, still no joy.
so the only thig left to do is mark in a series of lines till it looks ok then join them up. this will not be a "level"line but its all i can do. very infuriating and somewhat disapionting.
can any one else offer some advice, apart from don't touch him. its such a shame 'cos there is plenty of detail and the quality ain't to bad.
grumpy old XXX

Daryl

Re: waveney build
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 08:33:18 pm »

I've seen this done, ballast the hull down the the waterline.  Sprinkle talk or chalk over the hull then place it back into the water. nGently lift it out and mark where you can see the water went. Can be a bit fiddly but as water find its own level should produce a resonable result.

An added thought is both sides of the hull the same dimentions as I have seen some of his hulls with the Port and Starboard sides different sizes.

Hope this helps
Daryl

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 08:55:15 pm »

cheers, thought of that. prabably give it a go. but i reckon i will have the same problem. there is not enough free board to get a level line. bit hard for me to explain.
grumpy old XXX

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 09:57:17 pm »

This is probibly not much use but this link shows the Billings model floating in water.

www.modelboats.org.uk/ photo2.html

Pardon me for seeming dense but is the lack of freeboard at the bow or stern? Have you compaired the hull with the full size version which I gather there is one at Chatam. would it appear that the hull is the wrong shape which makes the marking out difficult. I noticed there was a picture of the completed model and a review in Marine Modeling International this month. If you have seen this picture I wonder if it would help you mark out the boot topping in the right place?

Good luck
Daryl

Roger in France

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 07:06:01 am »

A variation on the "talc in the bath method" which I have heard about but never used myself is to float the boat, ballasted to the level you require, wait for the water in the bath to be absolutely still, sprinkle the talc on the surface of the water (not the boat), then carefully - in one straight lift - remove the boat. This should leave a line on the hull.

Roger in France.

chromedome

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 09:48:16 am »

Did you ever resolve this boot topping problem Colin?

chromedome

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:49:19 pm »

no, given up. trying to get rid of it. if ia cant then i will have another go, sometime.
colin
grumpy old XXX

Dan.Lord

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 05:04:15 pm »

Hi I know this is an old thread but if you are still trying I thought these might help you in judging the where abouts of the boot line. Cheers Dan.

colin-stevens

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 05:47:11 pm »

hanks for the picies.
colin
grumpy old XXX
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.