Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Restoring an Ailsa Yacht  (Read 3214 times)

Hurricane

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Restoring an Ailsa Yacht
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:10:09 pm »

I still have my Ailsa yacht ( 22" basic hull length)  bought when I was a lad in the early 1950s.  It is now in a fairly sad state with the keel adrift from the hull having sheared at the 3 fixing points.  The lead weights have detached from the keel but I still have them.  The mast is broken and the deck is split.  The sails have long since gone.
I would love to have it restored - are there any companies, individuals or clubs who could carry out this work for me?

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Restoring an Ailsa Yacht
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 04:41:55 pm »

pity were at opposite ends of the country ! is it possible for you to post some photos showing the yachts current condition , maybe with the help of other forum members you can carry out the restoration work yourself with our guidence ? ?  jon

Hurricane

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:11:50 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply - I'll post some photos soon.

Hurricane

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 10:17:08 am »

Have decided to take up the suggestion of restoring the Ailsa myself.  All necessary sizes are available from pictures on line and the bits that I still have.  Only thing I do not have are sail sizes - does anyone have a sail pattern for this model - 22" aluminium hull from the early 1950s.

Thanks and regards,
Hurricane.

hmsantrim

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:53:49 am »

Hi.
       I too have a similar model from when I was a sprog in the 60`s though mine has the clyde model dockyard plate on it. I can 
        supply the sail sizes though I may have some nylon mini sails left from a project.

Frank

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:15:57 am »

Hi I did a quick google search "model yacht Ailsa" got the vintage model yacht group and there is a 30 inch loa Ailsa.  Is this a larger version of your one? Do not think it is aluminium though.

I have restored a model yacht about your size and the economics are not good, better to DIY.  I charged £120 for a complete re-build (new deck, the hull had come apart into 3 pieces and separated from the keel weight) and new sails, it did look nice though. 
The only reason it was restored was that Grandad had made it.

I unveiled it on delivery and the father and son were gob smacked!  So it was worth it!  I suggested that they buy a cheap plastic yacht and sail that, and put grandad's yacht on display.

I think I was working for £3.00 per hour!  You can spend the same amount of time on a yacht 3 times the size when it becomes more reasonable.

regards Roy

Hurricane

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:02:02 am »

Hi Frank and thanks for your kind offer of sails.
I have now almost completed the rebuild and have managed to deduce the size of the sails from the few photos currently available.
I have now cut out the sails and am waiting for my wife to stitch them.  Then it's down to the boating pond with the grandsons!!
Regards,

Jimj.

Hurricane

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 10:19:00 am »

Hi Roy,
Yes the model you refer to is a larger version of mine - there seem to be 3 sizes, approx. 30", 22" and 18".
I have now almost completed a restoration myself and have thoroughly enoyed doing so altho' I do not necessarily look upon myself as a "dyed-in-the-wool" DIYer.  I must admit I'm rather pleased with the results and am now looking forward to sailing it with the grandsons when our Scottish weather gets a bit warmer.
Regards,
Jim.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 10:59:31 am »

Hi I look forward to seeing some pictures. 
I always take photos during a build or restoration.  I restored 2 sailing boats for a lady who later became a club member and during the work I could post progress photos on email and discuss what to do if a problem arose.
I was very pleased to see both boats about a year back still in pristine condition.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.