Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8  (Read 7393 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Windows 8
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:20:55 am »

So , Who has upgraded !!  and do you like it. %%
I have just finished upgrading as I was able to get a cheaper copy off the back of the unfortunate demise of Comet. I was not intending to upgrade just yet, however my computer decided that it was not going to see the new year in but did give me warnings so was able to backup Emails etc., Main files are on a separate drive but that has promoted me to start to back them up as well..
My initial reaction was what the $$&^y LL Is this rubbish and was about to revert back to W7.
W8 would not recognise my 2nd optical drive or even the main Hard drive, but I decided to persevere, and have most things up and running again  :-)) it seems  8) not that I don't trust MS !!. Have now found a use for the Microsoft windows key.. :} as it now seems to do something useful.
Overall I think it has potential, will get some getting use to in navigating around the system but we must move on and its not vista, next step Solid state drive..
Once I have worked out the apps bit I am going to see if I can make me a Mayhem app to have on the front page.. ok2
Larry R.
Ps
Is it me or does the first emicon look like its on speed, not that I know what that is..

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 05:22:46 am »

It's not too bad once you get the hang of it, and its far better when used with a touch screen display.  My wife's new laptop has it and she is slowly figuring it out.
The main issue she is finding is that the Metro version internet explorer is even more hopeless than the normal one, it struggles with many websites and from what I can see doesn't allow tabbed browsing.
She has been trying the firefox metro browser and that seems to be a bit better.
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:39:42 am »

I intend to grab a cheap download copy before the end of January, but I may not install  immediately. I like trying new things,  but would prefer a spare PC to try it out  on. My copy of Win7 is getting sluggish at times, so  I need to  re-install in any case, so thought Win8 was worth a try.
I'm not convinced about the value of touch screens on a desktop PC though. Its OK on my Android tablet, but for real work I prefer a desktop, but then the first computer I used was fed with punched cards {-) %% {-) %% .

Barrie

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:20 am »

the wife got a new laptop with it on and the first 2 days I just hid as she was screaming at it, but she seems to have got the hang of it now, as for me, I have vista on my laptop and xp on my work machine and printer server (this runs a 10" touch screen that is old style and probably coming up for 8-10 years old (was originally the control screen for a scanner copier)).
being a clever dick I can run all my machines from my laptop (using a remote access program) and when working use a similar system to link to my computer at work (as I work from home now).
most of my (expensive) working software would have to be  replaced if I upgraded so I will be sticking with what I have for now.
Grendel

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:41:37 am »

A bit like Grendel I have a home network for work and play and that is currently being run on XP still. I manage to run what I need currently on these by maxing out the machines with as much Ram as XP will take and using good graphics cards so I've not yet felt the need to move up to a newer version of Windows.

I am considering it though, Adobe for work is fine and running my train and ship simulators is OK at the moment but if I want the latest versions I'll need a bit more oomph ! I'm not sure though whether I'd go to Windows 8 as Windows 7 in a suitable machine would do everything I need and more..... The only real difference on Windows 8 is the touch facility and I don't need that so I just don't need to go the more expensive route really..... I've also not heard anything that really makes me say ' I definitely want that !'

I wonder which way the next iteration of Windows will go ..... This poll on Computeractive was pretty definite about what their readers thought of Windows 8 .. http://www.computeractive.co.uk/computer_active/poll/2259/do-you-have-windows-8
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:06 am »

XP for me all the time, my PC runs fine and I feel that there is no need to change just to increase the profits of Microsoft, I have 4 gigs of ram and a Geforce 9500 GT with 2 gigs if video ram and I have no issues whatsoever. I built my computer about 8 years ago and it is still going strong. :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 05:12:32 pm »

Suprisingly windows 8 performs better on lower spec machines than windows 7  :o

the wife got a new laptop with it on and the first 2 days I just hid as she was screaming at it, but she seems to have got the hang of it now,

LOL sounds familiar! I did offer to reformat her laptop with W7 but she has got the hang of it now and is actually starting to like it. 
I can see the advantages for the "browser" user, but it's a real p.i.t.a if you need to do some "proper" work on it
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 06:03:21 pm »

XP for me all the time, my PC runs fine and I feel that there is no need to change just to increase the profits of Microsoft, I have 4 gigs of ram and a Geforce 9500 GT with 2 gigs if video ram and I have no issues whatsoever. I built my computer about 8 years ago and it is still going strong. :-)) :-)) :-))

Is it plank on frame or fiberglass hull??

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

pettyofficernick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Marineville will be destroyed, Muahahaha.....
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 06:54:04 pm »

Is it plank on frame or fiberglass hull??

Ned

Neither, It was built by the 'Bread and Butter' method...... :-)) :-)) :-))
What I do is best not discussed, for I have been many things in my time....

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 10:04:34 pm »

I'm with Nick. Still on XP with 4GB RAM. Not a flicker of a problem in the 4 years since I built this one.

PC professional son has just built a new PC so I'm inheriting a hard drive and another 4GB of RAM, for which I have the vacant slots. I will then dual boot via the BIOS, so I effectively have my existing very stable XP set up and a new Win 7 one. Although my CPU is only clocked at 2.4 GHz, he's been running his identical system at 3.8 GHz - that's some overclock. As there is also a spare CPU, It won't matter if I toast this one!

But Win 8? I think not, I'll let it settle for a year or two - and maybe even skip to Win 9.  :}

Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »

Having got used to W8 and IMHOP its not that bad if you work with it   :-))

Microsoft have released as a free upgrade W 8.1 this has to a degree re-introduced the start Button as well as a few other bits  8)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 06:46:02 am »

I'm using Windows 8 simply because my new lap top (touch screen) came with it installed. I don't mind it and have had no real problems other than backwards compatibility with some programs. My biggest gripe is that it refuses to run Flight Simulator 9 or even Flight Simulator X, after installing the software it informs me that it is unable to run it >>:-(  I have looked on the internet and found that while some people are able to run it, many are not. I'm thinking of trying to get hold of an earlier machine with XP installed, and also with a decent graphics card.

I was going to buy a new desktop PC but decided on the lap top, which I use at home with a 21" external monitor, using the lap top as the keyboard. When we go away I can take the lap top with me and all my files are then at hand.

Peter.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 01:51:12 pm »

This laptop has Windows 8 - hate it!   >>:-(

Personally I think Microsnot misread their target audience again ( Vista, Windows phone ) and have pushed out an ill conceived product.  I'm hoping it's better on a touch screen or tablet but on a standard it's terrible and completely out of sync with P and Windows 7. It is fast, I'll give it that but switching between tasks is tricky,  can't seem to close apps down, search function doesn't exist in many apps, everything is an addon, move the mouse too far and idiot pop ups, very irritating "start" screen, Shutdown is a multi click faff, etc, etc.

I notice Steve Balmer (Microsoft 'Monkey man')  has "retired"....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23815316
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 01:53:59 pm »

Download 8.1  Martin... You Will learn to Love it    8)

chipmonk

• Full Mayhemer
  • while you are here, can you just!
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »

Hi there all, to add my observations. I am staying with win 7. for a desk top system win 8 isn't worth the upgrade. My system started running slowly (10mins to boot) so as it needed a reinstall. I added a SSD (solid state drive) and did a fresh win7 install and WOW it goes like lightening (45 seconds to boot). So will I be putting win 8 on it? NO WAY. ;)
Cheers Chris M

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:07:05 pm »

You can downgrade to Win 7 64 bit PRO if your Win 8 software came with a new PC
See http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en-gb/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=oySpy0toWJY

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:52:00 pm »

Hi All,
It is my opinion that :-
Windows 95 was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows 98.
 Windows 98 was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows 2000.
Windows 2000 was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows ME.
Windows ME was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows XL.
Windows XL was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows Vista.
Windows Vista was full of bugs and rather than fixing them Microsoft brought out Windows 7
Windows 7 was...............Well you see the pattern emerging!

The problem with computer programmers is that they write programs to show other computer programmers just how clever they are to be able to write such complicated programs, rather than to show the user how easy it is to use the program. (Discuss!)

Yes, I am using Windows 8 and if you delete all the nonsensical, unnecessary rubbish (mostly applications) it can be made to work quite well, I just envy my son who has an Apple Mac!

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:10:20 pm »

Download 8.1  Martin... You Will learn to Love it    8)
Car salesman: "Buy this car ... You Will learn to Love it"
Potential customer: [Exits scene, with haste]

Microsoft have been alternating acceptable (95, XP, W7) and poor (98, Vista, W8) for some years, so W8 being a bit of a mess was no surprise. We went from XP to 7 which is fine for us (and an SSD certainly improves it), so if we have another MS system it would be W9 or whatever it is called.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 06:47:18 pm »

Well I'm Liking 8.1 at the moment  :-))

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:51:50 pm »

Has Bill got you on commission?   %%

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 06:59:00 pm »

I wish.. %)

I did not like it at first, but learnt how to adapt and get round things, I missed the Start button, but when you started to use it more all the items are there just in a different area.  As regards programmes, Games etc not working well that has been the case from day 1 after an upgrade.. But then VHS cassettes won't play in a DVD player ! , I view it as much the same.. Annoying, admittedly at times but inevitable..  %% %%

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 09:11:18 pm »

Isn't it nice how Mr Gates programs our lives  >>:-( ...appears he has me planned in until January 14, 2020 .......that's if I last that long  {-)  .......Derek
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Desktop operating systemsLatest service packEnd of mainstream supportEnd of extended supportWindows XP                                Service Pack 3                               April 14, 2009                                   April 8, 2014                                  Windows Vista                                Service Pack 2                               April 10, 2012                               April 11, 2017               Windows 7 *                                Service Pack 1                               January 13, 2015                January 14, 2020               Windows 8                                                Not yet available                               January 9, 2018                               January 10, 2023               
* Support for Windows 7 RTM without service packs ended on April 9, 2013. Be sure to install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 today to continue to receive support and updates.
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 09:48:39 pm »

One wonders what would have been had you all stuck with XP ?????????????

Been to Windows 7, back to XP pro with SSD. Starts in 30 seconds great improvement.

Of course they will not fix anything as long as you consumers race out and buy windows, 9, vospa, 10, extra, 11 etc,etc.

There was brilliant article written about technology, and in particular iphones, which are up to iphone 5, only because people buy them because of, "I want the latest and greatest mentality" and the consequent wastage of old phones etc.

We need to KISS more.

Gunna build those other boats one day.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 10:28:54 pm »

in the very early days hard drive space was a premium, people wrote the code to take out as much as they could and still work. then bigger hard drives became available, so the code got untidy, so more features could be added, new features replaced the old way of doing things, but the embedded code remained, you could still do things the old way too, eventually programmers just added new features willy nilly, old code was left in and software became slower (well the machine ran faster so nobody noticed)and more bloated with useless code, thus developing into the systems we have today.
Grendel

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 03:04:36 am »

looks Windows 8.1 has just been officially released to the public:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows-8/meet
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.