Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro Magic  (Read 2964 times)

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
Micro Magic
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:28:49 am »

Hi All, can anyone direct me to any built threads of micro magic yachts please - I have been asked to look at building up two of these for club members. I need to know what materials are needed (what glues, etc) and is the carbon one different to build than the normal yacht? If two guys buy the same kit, how can they be personalised? I assume the kits all come with the same sails and numbers?

Many thanks, Wayne

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Micro Magic
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:33:11 am »

There's a fairly comprehensive thread here about the ins and outs of Micro Magics... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36335.0 which answers most of your questions in a variety of ways.

One point though, these are a Class yacht so to get a sail number they need to be registered with the Association which you'll find here,  http://ukmicromagic.com/.  which also has a lot of information to help you out.  Like most class yachts distinguishing your own boat is done not only by having your own sail number but by painting the hull a distinguishing colour so that you can see it in the heat of battle around a mark !  %%

Great boats though and they go together well. There are quite a few bits and pieces available from Mike Weston who is mentioned on their suppliers list to help give the boats a racing edge. Any other information you need should be answered here, there are a few owners on the forum who either race or sail for fun....
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

triumphjon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:40:38 am »

the carbon effect boat is built up in the same manner as the other versions , the thickness of the black carbon effect plastic is slightly thicker , so you need to add a spacer to the keel box before you bond the two halves together . if i made a second one i wouldnt bother with the kit supplied hatch securing screws / clips , as the hatch leaks , i hold mine on with hatch tape which has solved the leaking ! another good mod is to the jib sheet exit on the fore deck , you neeed to change the supplied grommet for a short length of thin plastic tube , which stops around 10 mm from the deck , helps prevent water ingress into the hull should your boat go nose diving while on the run . replacing the cord rudder linkage for a single standard 2mm solid rod is also advisable , ive seen several of the cord type break while in use . the sails supplied in the carbon version are a bright orange while they seem to be mainly white for the standard version , sail numbers are issued through the uk micro magic assosiation for those who join and wish to race competivly . mine is only used for our local club races so ive not  registered it . jon

goBulawayo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 05:57:03 pm »

Thanks Guys, can anyone tell me roughly how long it take to put together one of these yachts please (excl glue paint drying time)

Thanks

Wayne

tony23

• Full Mayhemer
  • IOM, Marblehead Yachts
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 06:40:42 pm »

Hi Wayne,
I have Pm'ed you I have 2 Micro Magics brand new unused going cheap!

georgo

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 12:02:38 am »

:-)) nice to know, im currently experimenting with arrow shafts, very sturdy & light weight work well on my victoria...
see how well micro magic goes when finnished...

There is no need to put quoted letters with  EVERY  reply........ken

author=Artistmike link=topic=41212.msg413979#msg413979 date=1357630391]
There's a fairly comprehensive thread here about the ins and outs of Micro Magics... http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=36335.0 which answers most of your questions in a variety of ways.

One point though, these are a Class yacht so to get a sail number they need to be registered with the Association which you'll find here,  http://ukmicromagic.com/.  which also has a lot of information to help you out.  Like most class yachts distinguishing your own boat is done not only by having your own sail number but by painting the hull a distinguishing colour so that you can see it in the heat of battle around a mark !  %%

Great boats though and they go together well. There are quite a few bits and pieces available from Mike Weston who is mentioned on their suppliers list to help give the boats a racing edge. Any other information you need should be answered here, there are a few owners on the forum who either race or sail for fun....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 23 queries.