Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairmile B  (Read 7191 times)

Tym

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Fairmile B
« on: January 08, 2013, 06:56:08 pm »

Good evening,

I have just joined the forum, and have not yet built anything, but living in Brixham and working in an office hanging over the harbour, I watch the BX sailing trawlers and also the Western lady 3  every day, they have beautiful lines and  I would love to be able to build a model from the line drawings. I have found the drawings for the Fairmile, but am I being  bold? :-)

Any advise  would be fantastic, and in return if anyone is building a BX trawler/sailing trawler and needs photos I can help there.

Many thanks

Tym.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1st post, fairmile b
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:53:07 pm »

Hi Tym and welcome the the Forum.   :-))

I am at present, in the middle of building a Fairmile D. This was scratch built to lines and I'm now up to deck level.  There is a blog on it's progress so far in this section.

Have a look around the Warships section where you might find all sorts of info to help you in your quest.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:40 pm »

I had to look around but I've found it on page 2.

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37257.msg372293#msg372293

:embarrassed:   Didn't realise I'd left the blog for so long.

Cheers

ken

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:49:42 pm »

Hi Tym,
Good choice, relatively simple hull shape and having the real thing outside your window is going to help.
What plans do you have and what scale do you intend to build it?
Static or radio controlled?
There is a hull available in 1/35scale giving a length of  about 38.5 " or 975mm
http://cfv.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1222
Christian is well known in Coastal Forces circles and I would imagine it to be well made and accurate.
I have to say its always worth posting pictures of any Brixham trawlers.
Cheers

cdsc123

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 11:14:33 pm »

Hi Longshanks

Thank you very much for that, yes I can do a plain GRP Fairmile B hull in 1/72nd, 1/35th and 1/24th scales.

Closer to home in the largest size;

http://www.kingstonmouldings.co.uk/pdfairmileb.htm

Tym I would use your plans and build the hull yourself as you will get all the help you need right here on the forum.

Bluebird made a masterpiece Fairmile B in Mountbatten Pink, there are photos of the finished article here on the forum.

Regards, Christian.

Tym

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 06:40:43 pm »

Hi everybody,

Many thanks for all the replies. I really was not expecting any. :police:

I am about to buy the plans farimile A & C from model boat dockyard L/S 60 as the B uses the same hull and is cheaper to buy than a set of plans for the b.

The offer of the hull is very tempting thanks. But it is the building of the hulls that I just have to achieve.
if I can build a decent model it will have to be R/C . No point in putting on  shelf and we have a good pond locally.

I will take my camera to work and take pictures of  the fishing fleet, you may get fed up with the number

of photos.

Best regards

Tym. 

cdsc123

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 07:59:33 pm »

Hi Tym

It seems you have been misinformed as the hull for the Fairmile A/C is quite different to the hull for the Fairmile B.

I think the price is less for the correct item anyway (14 pounds instead of 27 pounds);

http://www.model-dockyard.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.model-dockyard.com%2Facatalog%2Fshop.html&WD=fairmile&PN=Fairmile_Designs.html%23aL_2fS_2f65

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 09:13:49 pm »

hi there Tym, Christian and all all the best for the new year
as Christian as already mentioned – there are large differences between the Fairmiles A/C’s compared to the Fairmile B hulls. May I suggest Tym to get a good understanding and good insight into these Fairmile boats, you beg, steal or borrow John Lambert’s book, Coastal Forces Vol 2.   In his book, John, sets out dedicated chapters to all the Fairmile vessels along with photographs and line drawings for each vessel.  Also, John Lambert is, as you will all know, a worldwide recognised draftsman and he prepares plans for the Fairmile B.   I used his plans myself, along with other information from James Dorian to construct my Fairmile B.  My model is based on one of the vessels in the St Nazaire Raid – couple of links to John Lambert’s site and my finished model.
Aye john
http://www.feralchicken.co.uk/lambert-plans/
http://www.jamesgdorrian.com/Little%20Ships.html
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

cdsc123

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 10:39:15 pm »

Happy New Year to you too John  :-))   :-))

Horst

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 12:18:26 pm »

Hi everybody,
some years ago I started designing card models of coastal forces in 1/250 scale. All the fairmiles and vospers are designed from John Lambert plans and books. I can highly recommend them. Perhaps you may take a look

http://cfp.muerell.de/products/category/1

There is also an English version, click the flag on the left.

Regards
Horst

thunderchild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:48 am »

Good Day All
John Lambert’s book, Coastal Forces Vol 1, conatins the Fairmile Designs.
Richard

Richard

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 11:15:53 am »

Hi Tym,
I recently refurbished my Grandad's Fairmile B see here;
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=35249.0
He served aboard RML 544 during the war and scratchbuilt pretty much this model, I have loads of info and photo's and also the john lambert info on the B class if you want to PM me I can mail you across.
So if I can be of any help just shout, good luck and look forward to seeing the pics.
CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

Tym

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 06:15:13 pm »

Hi every one,

Thank you for all the replies,  I didn't realise there was so much difference in the hulls, thanks Christian,
I will purchase the B plans from the Model Dockyard, as John suggested and have  I have looked for the book... not cheap, by my wife is still on google trying to find one.

Thanks for all the help, especially to CJ who I am going to try and send a pm to.

Best regards

Tym

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »

aye

hi there Tym, there used to be a guy on this forum - Martin Stevenson - used to go under the name of Seaspray - I am not sure if he is still a member - he made a CD of pictures of the complete build of the Fairmile B which I did - it showed how I built the hull (double diagonally) and scratch built all of her fixtures and fittings.   I am sure I have a disc somewhere - I will try and dig it out for you.   Give me your address via personal message I will try and send you a copy of it.

aye
john

ps I do still keep in touch with Martin but he has just moved so waiting to hear from him again.

CJ

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:05:48 pm »

Tym,
No worries, PM received and one sent back - always glad to help if I can, as is everyone else  :-))
CJ
"Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness"

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairmile B
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:49 am »

Hi John,
When you find the disc any chance of re posting the construction pics on the forum?
I did find the pics of her complete with pink paint job  ok2
Looking very tidy

cdsc123

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 11:22:31 am »

Tym

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:11:08 pm »

Hi everyone.

Many thanks to CJ for the information, and John for his help, sorry for the delay in replying but hospital and lungs got in the way.

I now have the plans 'The Fairmile B Class motor launch'. and have the info CJ gave me, and now I have more questions than answers. But firstly in reply to Ken. scale will be 1.48 (my brain can cope with this) must be built to R/C standard (There is a pub on the beach near the pond). I will have to ask the forum regarding electric motors, as I do not have a clue what is suitable yet.

The plans have a frame body plan. - I can see the external shape of the frames, but how do you work out the measurement for the slot  for  the keel, and also the frame profile. Also I can see the external keel drawing but how do you work out the internal profile ie profile for the frames to fit. John said he used double diagonal planking for his model, again where can I find the info regarding the thickness of the planks.

Sorry this is so long winded, but I can see this is going to take time.

Many thanks for all your time and help
Best regards

Tim {:-{

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 09:00:39 pm »

But it's going to be interesting.   ok2

I started with a 1:48  (see my blog on Fairmile D)  but realised that four motors aboard would not fit.  <:(  So I started again with my bigger version.  I still have the frames on the keel as a souvenir.

Regarding twin motors I would suggest something like the 400  or maybe 300 series.  There are articles on here about framing and how to do it, so have a browse around.

Cheers

Ken

Tym

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 07:02:41 pm »

Hi Ken.

Thanks for your reply.

I have watched John's tutorial several times now,  He makes it look so easy..

I have drawn the frames as per the frame drawing, but the measurements are so far out in comparison to side view and top view. As John says the copies get stretched, but mine is like pinnocheos nose.. A I am not sure whch is the correct size. The widths of the frames seem correspond, but the height varies so much how do I know which is the accurate frame.

Thanks

Tim. :-X

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 04:08:38 pm »

Hi there Tym
May I suggest that when you photocopy - using your own computer's scanner - or even if you have them photocopied professionally in a shop/office - is draw a cross on the original plan - somewhere near the item which you are going to scan.  One horizontal line and one vertical line and make the horizontal line a set distance - say one inch - the vertical line through the horizontal line make an inch as well.  This will ensure/give you a guide or check to ensure that the copier hasn't distorted the length/height etc., of the copy.   Cos whatever size you have copied the new image at it should be (when you check again the cross) the size of the cross should be the same - or same plus whatever you have enlarged the plan - this gives you a good guide as to which way the copy has been distorted.    Generally find that on copies I have done - on my computer - its the length which is distorted for some reason it tries to fit the scanned image to the page - even though Ive clicked the button which tells you not too.....it still does it :-)   
aye John

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »

HI Tym, a plan usually includes a plan view and a side view of the hull with superstructure. The end view or gives the frame outlines and these are numbered starting  from the bow. These frames are cross sections of the hull and their stations are marked on the side elevation with corresponding numbered vertical lines. It's possible to measure the height of each numbered frame and compare this with it's height at the corresponding frame station on the side elevation.
Often the frames (end elevation of the hull) are drawn  on a scaled grid ( like graph paper), e.g. scale of 1:12 is 1" to 1foot or a scale of 1:24 is 1/2" to a foot. These are common scales for many models. The frame grid should be checked for accuracy with a ruler. Most of the plans I have show this grid graduated in feet but drawn at the  plan's scale. This grid is a handy reference for measuring/checking the accuracy of the plan and calculating printing adjustments.  :-)

cdsc123

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2013, 07:20:48 pm »

Tym

Frame 20 (as per your post on WNS) is where there is the biggest difference between the deck height at the hull center-line and deck height at deck edge, so it seems you may be positioning the deck edge of the frame at hull center-line height and not at deck edge height. The decks are very cambered at frame 20. Also be careful with the keel as at frame 19 this is at its deepest point so the bottom of the frame needs to be positioned at the top of the keel and not at the bottom. I hope all this makes sense to you and sorry if I am teaching you to suck eggs but it seems too  much of a coincidence that the worst frame height discrepancies are happening at this point of the hull.

Tym

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

Hi. everyone

I got hopelessly confused with the frame plan, and have put the plans down for sometime, through frustration, but having received Christians post I have dug the plans out again, sent a pm to him, re measured and will hopefully try again.

Tym.   

cdsc123

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 07:35:10 pm »

Tym see this image it is a simplified version meaning frames 14 & 15 are omitted for clarity frame 16 is there but not labelled;

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.