Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Sheffield - First build from plans  (Read 14273 times)

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Sheffield - First build from plans
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2013, 07:17:23 am »

Hi Tim
I'd try 2 6v 3A lead acids connected in series to give you 12v if a single 12v is to big

Can you please where you got the plans for the smoke generator from.

Glen

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2013, 06:50:31 pm »

hi glen

For the smoker i just typed "homemade smoke generator" into google and found a few sites and forums with slightly different variations of the same idea. I also managed to find a 'how to' PDF document complete with instructions and photos. Its too big to attach to a post on here but if you PM me your email address ill be glad to email it to you.

Also i managed to find a 12v SLA battery from component-shop that fits into the space just fine and doesn't weigh too much. Thanks for the 6v suggestion though. More photos to come when i can get through the snow to my shed  :-))

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:32 pm »

"it's alive!!!!!"

After a few minor hitches, a few phone calls to Stan and a trip to Fratton Model Centre this morning, the boat is finally alive :-) :-) :-) . The problem i was having after connecting everything up yesterday was too much power going to the motor so ive had to install a 7.2v battery pack to run the motor and the cooling fan and with the use of a servo switch (something i found surprisingly easy to build) i can control the smoke generator which needs the 12v battery. Ive also fitted two 9v 'square' batts with a manual switch to run some LED lights im thinking of fitting later in the build.

I will take more pictures soon but below is a pic of the servo switch i made this afternoon.
 :-))   

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2013, 11:56:18 am »

looking good mate
You be adding rotating turrets and sounds next

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2013, 05:26:09 pm »

Cheers glen  :-))
  Ild love to do more with her but with only three channels to play with and the boss holding the purse strings i don't think I'll be purchasing another radio set anytime soon :-)

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 06:29:28 pm »

Evening all.
   Had to pop to my dads place today so i couldn't resist taking the boat and trying her out on his koi carp pond. Not too fussed with the fish but i wish i had the pond in my back garden O0
   Shes not the easiest to handle given her length but I'm pretty pleased with her. The smoke box produces a perfect amount of smoke and i cant wait to start on the superstructure.
   I also had a mate make up two name plates which look great. I'm going to put one on the stand and the other on the inside of the boat once I've tided all the wiring up.  :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 04:54:56 pm »

Looking really good tim especailly like the smoke unit

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2013, 03:01:52 pm »

hello all,

Haven't been able to get down to the shed for the last week or so but had a free day today so finally started the superstructure. Im pretty please with the outcome so far and i also got to use a load of styrene off cuts that were taking up space in the shed.  :-))
  As you can see by the pics ive also made one of the funnels and tested it with the smoke unit and it looks great  :-))

SHADOWFLEET

• 1/200th battleship-39 sunk september 2012
  • Full Mayhemer
  • thank you for all you help an kind infomation
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »

that is one beautiful build. im looking forward to seeing the end result
ships of my fleet in dry dock an builders dock
1/96th scale hms cossack>>building
1/96th scale km Z37 Narvik> refit
1/24th scale Vosper MTB>>building
1/144th USS casablanca Carrier>> shelf
1/96th Hms penalople>> shelf

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 09:57:27 am »

looking good mate. hope your going to paint her in one of her camoflage schemes

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:57 pm »

hi all

Just a few pics of my recent progress. The main structure is pretty much complete and ill soon be getting onto the turrets and detailing then its paint, paint, paint. I'm definitely going for a camouflage scheme.
More to come very soon i hope  :-)) :-))

markit

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2013, 02:08:19 pm »

Hi

looking good. I have also just started my first build from the same plan. I will be following with interest as you go along. please post as often as you can with updates. I have just started constructing the hull so am a little behind you. This is quite nice as you can blaze a trail and make mistakes first so i can learn from your mistakes  :-))  How have you found it up to now, any problems i should know about or has it all been plain sailing (pun intended)

keep up the good work

Davenotdone

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is Great!
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 01:12:42 am »

Looking very nice :-))  Is it balsa or ply construction and what length in inches is it please? ( oo err missus!! )  Regards, Dave.

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 02:19:03 pm »

Hi all

In answer to your questions she has been a pretty hassle free build. i have made a few adjustments to the plan with regard to materials used as i haven't been able to get my hands on things so ive found alternatives. She is exactly 49" long (lucky me) and i would say about 95% balsa. well everything below the superstructure is balsa anyway. I built the stacks using two different sized pipes as formers and wrapped them in card. I found it a bit awkward to make them using the formers on the plans and still having them open for the smoke to go through

markit, please post some pics of your build. you can post them on here or start a new thread but it would be great to see how somebody else is doing.  :-))

I haven't had a lot of time recently to get in the shed and get on but im hoping to get on with it soon. i think im going to have a crack at the turrets next so look out for the pics.

thanks everyone for the positive comments, they're all very encouraging to read :-)

markit

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 04:53:16 pm »

H
I didn't  want to hijack your thread so i statred my own, its in the Biginners start her section just finished the hull ready for sealing. about to start on the super structure  now. Don't have a lot of time so build is progrssing slowly (spend just as much time clearing up so i can work as actually building at the moment)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2013, 05:02:52 pm »

Looks fantastic, Timmer
The 'Shiny Sheff' lives again! :-))
Can't wait to see it on the water, if you are interested there is a book available about the Town class cruisers either from Amazon or navybooks.com. Gives the service history of each vessel (10 in total) and some nice pictures if the last few books from this publisher are to go by.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2013, 05:06:01 pm »

whats the book nick?

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2013, 05:49:55 pm »

Hi glendavis1971

The book is called "Town Class Cruisers" by Neil McCart and published by Maritime Books.
The best place to get it from after my search a few minutes ago is:-  www.navybooks.com

I have two previous books that are similar to fore mentioned book entitled "Battle Class Destroyers" and "Castle Class Frigates" both by Ian Ballentyne and published by Maritime Books.
The next in the series is "CA Class Destroyers" of which HMS Cavalier is member of.
They have a general history of the technical side of the ship and then each subsequent chapter is dedicated to each ship in alphabetical order. They are not small books with over 300pages on average, the Castle class frigates having close to 600pages!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2013, 07:13:53 pm »

hi again all

Ill have to have a look into that book nick. I had a look on the web when i first started the build and found a few good bits on info but im always interested to find out a bit more and if there are good pictures and photos im sure that can only help when it comes to painting and detailing.

I had some unexpected free time this afternoon so had a go at the turrets after all. I dont think there's any need for me to cover them in card like the plan says. I used the bench sander to shape them so they're pretty smooth and once ive sealed them and given them a few good coats of primer they should look good enough. I also built the main director as you can see in the pics, using the same build process. (to be fair most of the boat has been made using the bench sander :-)) :-)) )

have a good week everybody

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »

starting to come together nicely mate

antuk

• Shipmate
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:50 am »

very nice looking indeed  :-))

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:56 pm »

Thanks for the nice comments chaps. I've got a bit of spare time tomorrow so I'm thinking of doing some experiments with the smoke box. I need to make the smoke a little more dense so any suggestions would be very welcome. :-))

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »

<:( <:( <:(

Ive had a bit of a disaster....

Below are a couple of pictures of my progress. I got her out on the water a few weeks ago and she didn't preform too well so a little work was needed to try and stable her a little. i added a small keel piece just forward of the prop and a bilge keel either side and hoped this would do the trick.

I took her down to the lake again on Monday and she seemed a little better but still a little unstable. i even managed to get a short video clip of her which you can have a look at on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqV0IvMP3nU&feature=youtu.be

then the disaster struck and just after i stopped filming her stern was washed over causing her to flood. I managed to grab hold of the bow just as it was slipping under and rescued her from completely sinking.  :(( She was unstable when turning but Im not ruling out bad handling on my part as the biggest problem. Still we live and learn i guess. Ive tested the electrics and everything is still working and Im now pretty happy with myself for placing the receiver as far forward as possible. I think i also need to bite the bullet and rebuild part of the superstructure as it seems to be too top heavy. so back to the work bench we go.  :-))

glendavis1971

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2013, 06:57:39 pm »

Hi Timmer

She is looking lovely. I.m wondering if she might be a bit top heavy I had a simular problem with one of my destroyers and solved it be by making a keel from lead flashing which solved the problem. I watched your vid and would say its same thing and you need to get all the ballast as low as poss to move the centre of gravity as low as you can.

The flooding might be simply a lack of coamings under the superstructures around the access holes. I use the tallest possible. It may also be getting through the gun turrets if they arent sealed

Hope you solve the problems its all part of the fun

Glen

timmer

• Full Mayhemer
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2013, 08:45:43 pm »

hi glen

Had the same thoughts myself regarding the superstructure being too heavy. I think im going to have to rebuild it with balsa instead of the plastic i used. She seems to run pretty well when i take the superstructure off. :-))
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 22 queries.