Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: my Dumas Tuna Clipper Build with pic  (Read 31295 times)

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: my Dumas Tuna Clipper Build with pic
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2013, 09:55:15 am »

my amsterdam kit arrived today
wow its a big sucker plenty of room to move round in side this one
lol
both hulls are the same length

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2013, 09:46:22 am »

still trying to finish the TC off LOL

50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 12:23:52 am »

Hi there. I was pointed to this thread by LauckStreetShipyards.com. I missed it in my Google search for tips and pics of how to build this boat. If you're still monitoring this thread, then I thank you for your build log. I will make good use of it.

My first boat build was actually the "Amsterdam"! I made her as a twin-nitro marine, using a pair Traxxas .15s, the Traxxas T-Maxx transmission, and a pair of one-quart fuel tanks. To keep her running, I used an aquarium air pump to maintain pressure in the fuel tanks, and adjusted the hold-down springs on the filler caps to release air at a certain pressure. That's just the basics. I wish I still had photos of that boat, but they were destroyed at the same time the boat was while in storage in a friend's barn. He moved it all to clean, left it out, and it got kicked by a horse. Needless to say I was a mite upset.  >>:-( <:(

Although I have built many RC boats since the "Amsterdam", none of them have been an all-wood hull. This is a logical next step in my hobby, and as I am now disabled, I have the time but not the money to make mistakes. You build log is GREATLY appreciated.  :-))   

I'd like to know where you got all the little extras to put on her. I'm going to build her as a "yacht conversion", since disability is hardly the income on which one achieves a life's goal of moving back aboard a live-aboard like I was as a child. I have a nice little 14' Livingston, and this RC Clipper will make for many enjoyable hours of fun out there.

Hope to hear from you.

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 09:14:50 am »

hi mate
glad the log was helpfull  O0  from memory i made the power block and the rest was from the surplyer (radar ect ) i mentioned in the log , it needs a lot of ballest i used sheet lead and cut and laid it in side and floored over , it sits up very straight on full power turns  :-))  i now ony use 7.2v lippo as it is to fast on 12v , my  amserdam build is on the site all so i used a stearing nozzel with a 70mm prop goese like the clapers , cheers ,old shrimper
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 10:02:26 am »

Good to hear from you young fella  :-)).......... hope your chooks are all doing fine O0...... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 04:37:40 pm »

I noticed that sheet lead ballast you used... nice idea. Here in the US there's a "ban" on all lead products now, so I will likely have to use sand or steel shot and bind it with epoxy. I have a LOT going into the hull though... and more planned in the future. It'll be a lot of fun no matter what.

Thanks guys. I'll post new pics as I go. I'm looking forward to this. O0

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 11:58:14 pm »

Good to hear from you young fella  :-)) .......... hope your chooks are all doing fine O0 ...... Derek

HI  Derek
havent done any modeling for a while now been busy travaling in our caravan decided to go round ozz before its to late
choocks are ok  how are yours ? cheers old shrimper
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

old shrimper

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 12:00:14 am »

I noticed that sheet lead ballast you used... nice idea. Here in the US there's a "ban" on all lead products now, so I will likely have to use sand or steel shot and bind it with epoxy. I have a LOT going into the hull though... and more planned in the future. It'll be a lot of fun no matter what.

Thanks guys. I'll post new pics as I go. I'm looking forward to this. O0

black ilmanite sand is very heavy and cheap
50 YEARS OF TOWING NETS

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 02:19:19 am »

2nd hand [used] copper "xxxxx" from a grit blasting company is also rather inexpensive and also approx. 15% heavier than steel..............I would be reluctant  <*< to use any ferrous material/pellets/shot even if covered in epoxy

I accept that oxygen [from air] and moisture [humidity from air] is required for any oxidation/rust to occur I just wouldn't risk it...... Derek

Ho Ho  %)...I just proof read the post & the moderators auto spell  :police: has changed the name of the residue waste product that forms on molten metal..from  S.L.A.G to xxxxx..............like it's so dumb, it cannot count the number of letters in a word  {-)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 03:12:03 am »

THAT'S what that means? HAHHAHAHAH! Kinda need to work on their spelling software. Thank you for the info on the sand. I agree with the rust issue, just didn't know there was a better alternative. I used normal beach sand stored in baggies in my "Amsterdam". Took a LOT of it! I'll look into that black sand.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2016, 09:45:57 pm »

Hi folks. It's been a fun project, lemme tell ya. Again, I can't get my pics to upload to this blog because I guess my camera takes to big a photo (in digital size I mean) but I've taken plenty of pics and loaded them to Facebook. The last piece I need is a prop, and that's next month. The anchor windlass is a work in progress, but it will allow me to drop one or both anchors with enough chain on each for up to 10 feet of water. It's not done, and will be heavy enough I need to remove ballast to compensate, but it looks cool as heck with the anchors down in the tub. Sounds realistic too.

Keep your eyes out for videos... The camera in the pilothouse works GREAT!
https://www.facebook.com/shaun.olinger/media_set?set=a.1356054257744695.100000204013772&type=3

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2016, 10:58:50 am »

Hi folks. It's been a fun project, lemme tell ya. Again, I can't get my pics to upload to this blog because I guess my camera takes to big a photo (in digital size I mean) but I've taken plenty of pics and loaded them to Facebook. The last piece I need is a prop, and that's next month. The anchor windlass is a work in progress, but it will allow me to drop one or both anchors with enough chain on each for up to 10 feet of water. It's not done, and will be heavy enough I need to remove ballast to compensate, but it looks cool as heck with the anchors down in the tub. Sounds realistic too.

Keep your eyes out for videos... The camera in the pilothouse works GREAT!
https://www.facebook.com/shaun.olinger/media_set?set=a.1356054257744695.100000204013772&type=3
There are quite a few who don't use spacebook for various reasons.
There are also a number of threads on how to load photos to the forum, which even I can do.(A Computer novice)
You don't need to be a rocket scientist.
Our leader, AKA Martin, has written and illustrated how to do it. O0 O0
No pics spoils many a thread?????? >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
Gunna build those other boats one day.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 09:21:45 pm »

There are quite a few who don't use spacebook for various reasons.
There are also a number of threads on how to load photos to the forum, which even I can do.(A Computer novice)
You don't need to be a rocket scientist.
Our leader, AKA Martin, has written and illustrated how to do it. O0 O0
No pics spoils many a thread?????? >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*<
OK mate, point made. I'll get some uploaded ASAP. I'm not a comp novice... I'm border-line illiterate unless it's my flight sim system.  :P

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2016, 09:31:06 pm »

Alright... stupid question... would someone please point me to the 'afore-mentioned post regarding photo posting to this site?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2016, 10:04:52 pm »

Don't Assume Check

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »

Thank you. Give me a bit to get them resized and they'll be here.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 07:01:19 pm »

Here's the initial build pics. I didn't get many of the planking process, but it's pretty similar to everybody else's 'cause that's what I used to do mine.  :-))

If anyone wants an equipment list, I'd be happy to give it.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 07:13:49 pm »

Here's the completed build (almost... prop is ordered, rudder is sitting on the fore-deck till I get the shaft cut to length). The fore-deck looks a mess from me trying to make a single-servo anchor windlass work... it'll take a two-servo system to do it with my 10 feet of chain. The idea is they are functional anchors... I can drop them if I want to sit down and take a break, or if I have an equipment failure, and it won't drift off until I can get the raft inflated to go get it. There's a 15-gram block of lead on the bottom of each anchor, and eventually I'll take the time to carve it to the shape of the bottom of the anchor, making it blend in better.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 07:23:09 pm »

And because the darned thing weighs about 15 pounds, I wanted an easy way to carry it. So... I built a cradle. It both stabilizes it on the ground and in the car, as well as make it easier for my busted back to pick it up out of the water. Everything but the hull is hand-painted, the hull I sprayed with an air-brush. All of the raw-looking wood is coated with spar varnish. As one other person previously said... that aft deck is just TOO PRETTY to cover with paint... so it has about 10 layers of spar varnish on it.

This is my "yacht conversion" of these pretty nice-looking working vessels.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »

I forgot to show the ballast... I took lead fishing weights and, with a small jewelers torch, melted them into the center of large thick washers. The result was a bunch of pellets 3/8" and 1/2" in diameter and about 1/4" thick. Then I made some really small ones, 1/4" diameter by 1/8" thick. The large ones form the bulk of the ballast. The little ones made the balancing easy. I forget just how much ballast there is in there, but it's all epoxied in under the battery. Without even realizing it, I set this boat up so ALL of it's extra ballast is directly under the main battery. If anyone wants to see it, yell. The library got busy so I had to get it out of here before I got all of that.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2017, 03:25:22 am »

Still working on it. This model is 1/72 scale, so I made sure my tenders are as well. Two 20' whale boats and one 40' twin-inboard express sedan. and since the cabin lights tend to build up heat inside, I put a little ESC fan under the stacks. Now they're functional exhaust stacks.

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:56 am »

Oops... screwed up the resize...

F/V Sunset Rae

• Shipmate
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2017, 09:07:27 pm »

I wasn't satisfied with the tenders I built, and they were too heavy made from standard wood, so... I built them out of balsa. And what self-respecting Clipper would cruise without a helo on deck? This is one I designed for a below-deck hanger on a different ship drawing, and since most helos have to have their rotor-heads broken down to strike below, I designed the "X-rotor". If it was aerodynamically possible, someone would have done it already... but it looks cool.
40' mini-sub, 2-seater
40' twin diesel pump-drive speed boat
20' motor-whale boats
"X-rotor" helicopter, 4 seater
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.