Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Old' & New  (Read 2268 times)

Ash

• Shipmate
'Old' & New
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:03:18 am »

Which is the best is the big question..?!! ???

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 'Old' & New
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 06:29:05 pm »

Which is the best is the big question..?!! ???

Serious question....just how big are these buggers going to get....and how many passengers will they eventually carry?
I shudder at the inevetable result. My advice to those wanting a cruise is to choose a "little" ship with a well trained crew....or join the navy.
Notes from a simple seaman

Brian_C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 09:31:59 pm »

biggest isnt always best,  this little beauty is only 25,000 tons,   last cruiseliner built on the tyne and belonged to the same stables as the two BIG MOTHERS  above, and was firstclass only, no 2nd or 3rd class, no other cunarder ever held this status, not bad for a ship built by (geordies) back in 1975 and still sails today, bry,s right, take a cruise on a smaller ship and be treated like a king  for a fortnight

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 11:53:39 pm »

Both the old Vistafjord and the Sagafjord are still in service with Saga Cruises and both are absolutely beautiful ships.  I had the pleasure of working on them both in my Cunard days and enjoyed just being on such lovely traditional ships.

They look even better in Saga's dark hull colour as well.

As for the Queens the big lump on the right isn't a real queen anyway, she wasn't even built in the right country to earn that title.

How big are they going to get?, RCI are building thier new Genesis class, with the first one due out in Autumn 2009 carrying 6400 passengers and 220,000 tons.

There is now however talk of the Princess Kaguya, a ship at 370,000 tons, 500mtrs long and 20 decks high.  She is being planned with three differrent class hotels, each with 1,200 rooms.

These monsters worry us all in the industry however there seems to be no stopping the progress in this direction.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Ash

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 08:36:35 am »

biggest isnt always best,  this little beauty is only 25,000 tons,   last cruiseliner built on the tyne and belonged to the same stables as the two BIG MOTHERS  above, and was firstclass only, no 2nd or 3rd class, no other cunarder ever held this status, not bad for a ship built by (geordies) back in 1975 and still sails today, bry,s right, take a cruise on a smaller ship and be treated like a king  for a fortnight

Hear Hear!
I sailed on her as Caronia up to a few months before she was sold off. A great shame, but at least Saga have kept her in good order. I've sailed in all 3, and my particular favourite is QE2, but thats just me. As for the QM2, the first thing noticeable is the size of the beast, but the manouvrability is incredible. And as for joining the Navy, well thats definitely not for me!

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.