Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scratch built ?  (Read 6392 times)

West Coast tug

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Scratch built ?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 05:07:46 pm »

On the other side of the big pond ,We over here judge R/C models in Scratch, Semi Scratch,Semi Kit , Kit ,Stand off, Stand away and don't look at me.
Most of the clubs here say if you want to win something you have to run in the water.

The Square rigged vessels we put in there own class.
But we also judge by vessel type and category.
Best of show and Judges Choice or Sponsor's Pick.
The person I am still trying to copy was Don Ferguson ( Bandera, Model boats mag. 1988 May)
Don left us in 1998 RIP.
Gary     

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:51 pm »

Of course there are few of us who (are even more insane) and use only original shipyard plans and spend huge amount of time looking for photos, drawings,... and only then copletely mess things up {-)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 07:20:35 pm »

Of course there are few of us who (are even more insane) and use only original shipyard plans and spend huge amount of time looking for photos, drawings,... and only then copletely mess things up {-)
I tend to use the original ship-builders plans when possible. But I also had access to the plans of the ships I was sailing in/on.
The main thing about "scratch" building is that you will, in all probability, be creating a completely unique model. Hence one "unique" to every 100 clone kits. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 09:09:10 pm »

I wonder why they use the word  'Scratch'

Anyone have opinions on this.

Ken

PS  Glad you brought it up Bob. An excellent subject.

OK, How about this.
Its not used much these days, but commonsense, Simply put, to start from 'scratch' is to start from the beginning.

Therefore, 'scratch' building a model, eg a boat, is starting from the beginning, the plan/s and building the model to eventual completion.

Items 'bought', hulls, fittings,etc,etc, are not scratch built, they are commercially sourced.

It the follows you can then have degrees of 'scratch' built.
Such as fully, 100% built by the model maker
Partial  (pick a number), 50%, 25% built by the model maker.
Not scratch built, that is a kit, bought with all items supplied and assembled/put together by the model maker.
Also any items made/added to a kit is 'kit bashing' namely altering the kit either to improve it or alter it to represent a variant of the model  %) %) %)
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 09:25:50 pm »

That makes the most sense. List what you have built from materials, and list what has been purchased.

Very difficult to police this sort of thing. You can have items scratchbuilt by third parties, and claim it as your own work. Then there is 3D printing and CNC machining- are these items scrathbuilt becuase you have drawn them out on a computer? It's still a skill, albeit different from hand crafting.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 09:26:59 pm »

I agree with the majority.  The parts I make myself from say, 'whiltling wood' and 'shaping plastic', gives me more pleasure than glueing on a manufactured part.

I cannot say that my boats are totally Scratch built but I do like to add my own hand made version of something.  It's the fun of our hobby and the pleasure we get from achieving it that matters.

Cheers

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

West Coast tug

• Shipmate
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 09:29:39 pm »

Every tug that I make, drawings and pictures of the real tug back everything up at shows.
In the kits that I produce all 21 of them and drawings of the old stuff that I have measured up and made lines for , I photograph every tug .
It's like you walked around on the deck with a camera going click every 2 meters.
I have had some members of the club get frustrated by not winning anything so at Public Judged events I don't bring anything.
Even then their are some fellows that still complain about me not having anything there.
Look at Model boats mag. April 08, May 06 Cover shot.

In the phrase scratch , Yes make Everything ,In the full respect to scale reproduction in miniature.
The Vessel should look like the crew had just left her at the dock.
There is the option of weathering or Bristol new.
Gary   

NFMike

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plague Marine Services
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 10:15:38 pm »

Scratch and Scale are not related. You can scratch build an entirely fictional boat (or train, plane, car, tank, ... )

Does either matter? It's up to the individual in the comfort of their own home, but if you are displaying or competing then it does matter. I would suppose that if you lied about the level of build and won a prize, then if discovered you would be guilty of fraud.

West Coast tug

• Shipmate
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 11:33:45 pm »

Yes, true the 2 are not related .
You can make a shoe box float and run and call it scratch .

The difference between men and boys is the cost of the toys.
Gary

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 12:05:08 am »

"The difference between men and boys is the cost of the toys
Gary"

Not necessarily
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

wizard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 04:25:01 am »

I made my first model boat when I was 14. I am now 72 and still building model boats. I have completely scratch built boats and made them completely from kits and most shades in between. I enjoy model making, I make them for my own enjoyment and couldn't care less if someone wants to be picky about how to catagorise them. I'm happy with them and if someone else gets some enjoyment from them well thats an added bonus.
It's a hobby, it's fun, enjoy it.

Wizard
we never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2013, 04:48:05 am »

well said
Have to agree
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 05:24:39 am »

Hi guys

Well so far I have refurbished (almost done now) two old boats I had bought. But mainly I have been happy to buy hulls then work against the rest myself. When I get round to doing my long and very hard researched Kalakala it will be all scratch except the innards and prop.

I like to follow the various build threads and though I love to see scratch I can also appreciate other types. Also if a kit gets someone into the hobby then they may later move to scratch? Now having said all that - if you have a model of a real vessel then I feel you should know enough about the vessel to answer peoples questions at the lake.

Dave

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2013, 10:39:10 am »

One thing I have learned from innocently asking this question is that descriptive labels are dangerous.  As I never intend entering competitions the term may be largely irrelevant.  Every build is in some way unique, embodying the makers individual skills and preferences in a way that incorporates such additional challenges that they may wish to set themselves. 

To aim for a ship that will be totally unique on the lake it could be said to avoid tugs and fishing boats, but those are perhaps the most popular build subjects, so again irrelevant.  Your choice is personal, as is how much love and effort you are prepared to expend.  We all have limits that we try to expand as we progress.  It is all about personal satisfaction and pushing the envelope. 

Frankly a couple of the most desirable models I have seen started off as kits.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

heritorasphodel

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2013, 11:18:22 am »

Just out of interest, what were they?

Andrew
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.