Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon - Radio Interference  (Read 2290 times)

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
Proxxon - Radio Interference
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:08:36 pm »

While I'm awaiting an answer from Proxxon would anybody else like to suggest a solution to this problem?
I have a Proxxon Pensander PS13 fed by a Proxxon power unit. Whenever in use, it causes sound interference on a digital radio and sound/vision interference on a digital TV.  Neither radio not TV is close to the worksite.
Is this to be expected, should the built-in supression not be able to cope and is their any remedy you can suggest?
Regards,
Barry M

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon - Radio Interference
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:00 am »

I would normally expect any electrical device to be compliant with RFI legislation to have gained its CE ticket, so that implies that something is broken. 
Without the right instruments, the only way to tell where interference is coming from is substitution and observation. 
Is the interference limited to digital signals? 
Does it happen with an old fashioned MW radio?  A portable radio can be moved around and used to guess at where the source is.
Is the power unit used with anything else?  Does the problem happen then?  Does the other device pull more or less power than the sander? 
Possible sources are the motor in the sander having RF suppression that no longer works or the power unit doing something untoward under load.  This could be using either its output lead or the mains lead to transmit, or both.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 03:35:30 pm »

Malcolm, Thank you for your reply; I'm obliged to you.
When the power unit is hooked up to another tool the interference ceases which indicates the Pensander is the problem. I've heard nothing yet from Proxxon who are somewhat shy about giving points of contact but I'll give them time.
Regards,
Barry M

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:49:56 pm »

From that, Barry, I would hazard a guess that a dry joint on one of the rfi cap has parted company with it's mounting.
If it is still under warranty you have the answer.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:20:25 pm »

Ned, Out of warranty by a couple of months but worth trying for a 'Goodwill' claim.
Regards,
Barry M

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 08:50:42 am »

To round this post off, I contacted Proxxon in Germany with details of the interference problem and, after an exchange of emails with a very nice lady, a new Pensander arrived in the post. Excellent service that I would commend to others when considering whose products to purchase.  :-))
Barry M
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 23 queries.