Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Diva  (Read 11341 times)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Aeronaut Diva
« on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:40 pm »

Has anybody reading this built a Diva. I have just started one and have some unanswered questions.

Many thanks Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 10:19:25 pm »

Well judging by the lack of comments nobody has either built one or is interested in the Diva.

Should there be someone out there who might be interested I have just started building one, a Christmas present from my daughter, and if anyone is interested I am prepared to do what do you call it? a build log with pictures.

Seems a good well priced kit and looking at U tube goes very well.

I await your response.

Regards Chris G

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 10:32:50 pm »

Hi Chris,

This guy from Belgium built a twin motor version, but I'm sure he'll answer your questions regarding building a single motor one:
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/bouwverslagen-schepen/143403-bouwverslag-diva-van-aeronaut.html

Or check out a Danish build (in English):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1435435

A German build his third one here:
http://modellbauer.forum-aktiv.com/t6488-aeronaut-diva-kajuttboot

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:28 pm »

Thanks Jan

Looks like all bases have been covered and a well documented build. I will just muddle on and finish it and sail it, looks as if it could be quite sporty. I am not interested in really fast boats, cannot afford to buy the batteries to move them.

Thanks for the reply, take care Chris G   

vnkiwi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »

Chris,
All builds would be appreciated on Mayhem.
Await yours with interest as no two builds are ever the same
cheers
vnkiwi
If it ain't broke. Don't fix it !

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:22:13 am »

I have just started one and have some unanswered questions.
Hi Chris,

If you ask your questions here, I'm sure the combined knowledge on this forum will be able to provide answers to help you get along with your build.
Mind you, there's nothing wrong with 'muddling on', but life could be made easier with the input of the forummembers.

As vnkiwi already stated, we love to see another build, specially with pictures!

Regards, Jan.

Boaters are nice people

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:34:27 am »

As vnkiwi already stated, we love to see another build, specially with pictures!

I second that, the Diva is one I considered just before I built my Sea Scout and I'm still tempted to make one as a companion to the Sea Scout for when I'm out sailing with my Grandson. I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes so loads of photos please.....  :-)
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:42 am »

I thank you very much for the encouragement, My last build just about completed is a beautiful tug so this is the first sports boat I have attempted since the wooden Fairey Huntsman some years ago.
As I said earlier my daughter bought me this kit for Christmas and my first impressions are good, German efficiency and all of that.
I have started as per the drawings which are excellent and I hope that I have downsized the photo correctly, keep screwing that up!!!!!!!
All the pieces fit beautifully with a little sanding and when glued, super glue first followed 24 hours later with epoxy the whole thing is beautifully rigid.
I will be asking for your assistance later when deciding how to power her and will be spending some considerable time in the future learning the art of applying 2 part varnish.

Thats it for the moment hope the photo downloads. Regards Chris G   

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 11:00:49 am »

Hi Chris,

I think twice the size will show more detail:

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:03:10 am »

See if this is better, thanks Jan

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

Try again !!!

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 11:15:22 am »

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
: Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 05:06:47 pm »

The frame of the boat is now complete although needs some serious rubbing down. What do they say good prep is essential. Really do love the model, great fun to build plus I love working with wood.

I will try to add a photo to this but my record on downloading pictures is dismal.

Note: I have fallen foul on the glue front. I bought various adhesives from a company that was at a model boat show most of which are good but their epoxy is still sticky and not set after 24 hours. Back to 'Araldite'. I shall in future try glues on sample bits before using them in ernest. Maybe a lesson for any other new builder.

Chris G

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 05:53:50 pm »

Hi Chris,

I rarely use epoxy (two part glue) to glue my boats together; the quick drying (waterproof / white) woodglues available today work much quicker and cleaner (with a bit of practice), also aliphatic glue works like a charm.
Aliphatic resin glue is chemically similar to PVA (white glue), but it is chemically modified to make it stronger and more waterproof.  It is typically a buttery yellow color and is sold as "carpenter’s wood glue."

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 06:05:56 pm »

Thanks Jan

Use all types of glue when working on the 'real thing' and it would seem some of them are better and certainly cheaper that those we use for modelling.

It was a cautionary tale that might help the other new modellers that are on 'Mayhem'

thanks again Chris G

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 07:23:51 am »

I second the use of Aliphatic glue for wood in model boats, it has all the benefits of the old PVA but is faster to set, better 'grab' easy to sand and of course is waterproof, always a good feature in a boat.  .. :-)

Coming along nicely though, I'm very tempted to have a go at one of these myself when I've finished my current restoration project...

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 10:22:10 pm »

Well I really went for it today, while you lucky people who work for a living were struggling to get to your places of work I decided to crack on.

The kit is really good and the cut veneers want to go where you want them, no struggle. The instructions are great and I cant praise it enough. Everything fits like a glove. I have made 'Billings kits in the past and I would rate these as better. Just hope the little demon sails well.

I will try to upload some pictures  {-)

I think I will paint the hull and restrict the varnish to the topsides. The models I have seen on U Tube seem to be dark and that is not what I want. The veneer is really good and it seems criminal to cover it with paint but it does make for a dark model.

So far good experience. Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:58 pm »

Work continues, have ordered the 400 motor and battery stick pack, also pushed the boat out and have gone to 2.7 ghz R/C from 40 mhz system. Trust this will make life simpler.

As usual the tidying up of the hull before painting takes an age and with this being chine built and the surfaces butting together it is not easy to see the gaps. Have to hold the model to the light.
When glueing always conscious to keep glue from the beautiful hard wood veneer.

I did all of that and masked the water line or where the hull should be painted to, put a heater in the garage and have had the spray paint in the house overnight to achieve a workable temperature.

The results are reasonable, I am sure with some judicious rubbing down I will end up with a mirror like hull.

I am having the weekend off, you can get too much of a good thing. Still chuffed with the kit though.

Chris G         

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »

Disaster, trying to make too many models at the same time. The Diva has taken a bit of a back seat, silly really because it is a build that is relatively easy, well that is what I have found. Imagine a kit where everything fits  :o
I have fitted some of the internal panels, all of beautifully cut veneer with the direction of grain as it should be. All the pieces fit and with the exception of a little delicate sanding it is a simple process of glueing it together. I have just this afternoon fitted the deck, one piece that looks really good. Keep experimenting with glues and have just started using Unibond ' No more nails wood adhesive' seems ok will have to wait to see if the boat falls apart when it hits the first wave on the water or gets moved about in the boot of the car.
It all seems embarrasingly easy, I have a pal who is building a Caldercraft Puffer as we speak and the bits and plans and drawings make it to say the least challenging. It will be a lovely boat when finished though.
Still unsure if I should varnish or paint the hull. Some of the models I have seen do look so dark and varnishing if not done well can look dreadful. 'Watch this space'  {-)
Hopefully photo downloaded. All the best Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 04:17:45 pm »

Quite a bit of progress since my last post about a week since. The hull about finished and the superstructure nearly there.I could not make up my mind about the varnish or paint hull finish and have gone for varnish. It was suggested it could always be painted over if I was unhappy with it.
Anyone making one of these should consider varnishing the hull sides before painting the bottom of the boat. The wood veneer sucks paint up like blotting paper and once on the wood it is very very difficult to remove. Varnish the hull sides first and any paint that manages to creep under the masking tape will be easier to remove.
I am not looking forward to rubbing down and varnishing the boats topsides but once done it should look lovely. Also not sure of the seats which are to be made of balsa sanded to seat shapes and painted. I will have to give that some thought. I have made some proper steps that are fitted to the transom and that lead to the bathing platform was not happy with the type supplied.
I hope that the picture download is a success.   

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:22 am »

It's looking terrific and the varnish makes it really. Well worth the effort  O0

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
: Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 10:43:02 am »

Thanks for the kind words Mike. If it goes as well as it is looking I will be quite 'chuffed'.
Regards Chris G

tt1

• Full Mayhemer
  • If I only know a little - then I can learn a lot
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:28:50 am »

Nice build and a good log Chris, glad you decided to post, thanks for sharing. I'm currently building a Wavemaster from Vintage models and like you it's my first wooden boat.  Had reservations at first, but have had the same satisfaction with the build. Seeing yours and noting your comments of the quality I'm sorely tempted for a Diva to be the next!  Keep up with the posts  O0
                              Regards, Tony.

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 11:53:34 am »

Hello Tony
Have you considered the Aero-naut 'Princess' a little bigger than the Diva and about twice the price for the kit but I bet when built she would be a sight to behold and the envy of many. She is clearly a model of a 'Riva' although cannot be advertised as such, just think it might be my next wooden boat build.
I have to stop and consolidate, with the Diva in build along with a tug being finished and a lighter to be towed by the tug, it is all good fun though, I love it.
Anyway I will continue with the log and glad to be able to contribute to such a helpful and fun forum.
Regards Chris G

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2013, 10:53:50 am »

As I was not that impressed with the Aero-Naut bathing platform and access ladder I decided to attempt one of my own design which I am quite pleased with. Other than that the build is going slowly, must make an effort to go out in the cold to do the last serious rubbing down.
Regards Chris G
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.