Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Diva  (Read 11343 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
Re: Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2013, 11:09:58 am »

Yes, that looks good ! I know what you mean about the cold, I'm waiting for it to warm up so that I can get outside to do the painting of the hull on my yacht restoration.... It just seems to keep getting colder though ! O0
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
  • Andree1v the real thing.
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 02:57:02 pm »

Well the weather finally warmed up enough for me to venture outside to rub down my model. Does put you off working with wood a bit but then there is a certain satisfaction when it looks good.
Well I rubbed it down several times and applied several coats of varnish, I decided that it needed some relief as it looked like a well finished coffin so the roof of the wheelhouse got painted white. A yellow self adhesive strip on the waterline has two purposes, one I think it finishes the hull and it disguises the imperfections where the varnish and white hull meet. I did not use the green and gold strip supplied, did not like it.
I found the fitting of battery, servo, receiver and speed controller a bit of a challenge as I have never had to work in such a confined space and the dexterity in the fingers is not what it once was.
Anyway got it done, still needs a tidy up but it all works, gave it a bath test and could not believe the power from the little 400 motor. I was amazed and am really looking forward to the ice melting so I can put it on the pond. As my other models are scale and slow I am looking forward to something quick, might even become a speed freak!!!!!
Several bits still to do before it is finally finished and waiting to visit the Coalville show in a couple of weeks to buy the last few bits.
I continue to be impressed with the quality of the kit although I have a few little niggles, I am certainly impressed in terms of value for money.
I hope to post another entry with a couple of pictures of the finished model and maybe one on the lake at BDMBC.
Best regards Chris G 

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 04:35:47 pm »

Hi Chris,

Your Diva certainly looks the part!

I can't see it in the pictures, but did you varnish the interior (or used epoxy resin) to make it waterproof?

If not, I would make the effort, because a fast moving boat tends to get damp inside.
Left untreated, the wood may be a feeding ground for fungus and/or mushrooms...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 04:45:50 pm »

Hello Jan
Thanks for the comments and advice, never had a fast boat before so its new territory for me. I did slap a load of clear varnish into the hull before fitting all of the bits, so unless it sinks it should be ok. It will help when I fit the windows and it will not go that fast especially with me on the 'stick'.
Thanks again Chris G

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:03 pm »

Hi Chris,

You don't need to go fast to get your boat wet, small waves and wind will get the deck wet and drops will find their way into the interior, don't you worry...

The other day I was testing a 140 cm long hull running a 3000 rpm motor with a 50 mm prop, the boat goes at walking speed, but as it didn't have a deck fitted, the spray from the small waves crashing into the bow resulted in several cups of water in the bow section after a ten minute test.
Fortunately the hull was fiberglass and the first bulkhead kept the water in the front section, so no electronics got flooded.

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 10:21:19 pm »

Thanks for that Jan
I have nearly finished the boat and today finished the upholstered seating, very posh I hear you say. Great from a distance I say.
I am sure it will go well and I am too old to be a speed freak, and concerned about the hours put in to getting a lovely boat to spoil it all in a mad dash across the lake.
Thanks for the advice and will take heed and keep the 'baby' dry.
Regards Chris G

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 02:53:24 pm »

I am too old to be a speed freak, and concerned about the hours put in to getting a lovely boat to spoil it all in a mad dash across the lake.
Hi Chris,

Old is relative, I took up racing fast electrics once the equipment prices dramatically dropped due to the mass production in the far east.
I just realized my son and I are entering our eleventh year of racing in Dutch and European Championchips and I just turned sixty last week.
Granted, the last year I won the Championchip is a few years back, I can't match the hand-eye coordination of my son anymore, but we have great fun and I'm still giving him a good run for his money...

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2013, 03:20:49 pm »

Hello Jan
Well done you!! and congratulations on winning these prestigious events in your 50's. I will enjoy it if Diva and not sure what I am going to call it makes it across the lake on the plane and comes home to Daddy safely. I love model boats, my preference being making them, my partner is also an enthusiast and is currently nearing completion of a beautiful Clyde Puffer.
I am unsure if Diva will be tried before May as I am away for a while but I will take some pictures of her on the water and post them on here. Good to have a contact in the fast boat brigade, you maybe well hear from me if I get hooked and need advice on speeding up.
Take care and all the best Chris     

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 03:43:48 pm »

I am almost disappointed to report that the model ‘Diva’ is finished save for a few electronic tweaks.
Right to end she was a joy to build mainly due to the excellence of the kit. The motor was as recommended and is a Graupner 400 powered by a compact 7.2v battery pack both light and convenient. Straightforward ESC  and a relatively cheap ‘Planet’ R/C.
Well I took it to the BDMBC club meet yesterday afternoon for its maiden voyage and of course it was blowing like hell, nobody else there so I waited, too much of a coward to set it off without back up or help. Within a short time a friendly guy arrived and Diva went for her first swim. Brilliant, responsive and quick and well behaved as she was steered between many ducks and several geese. The appearance of the boat was remarked upon and I can’t wait to really let her go when the water is calm.
I cannot recommend this kit highly enough for anyone who wants an inexpensive, pretty and fun boat.
I would like to thank the guys on ‘Mayhem’ who have helped and encouraged.
Best regards Chris G       

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 03:46:18 pm »

Sorry more pictures that I left off.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 03:56:04 pm »

That is a lovely model Chris.
Isn't it a great feeling when your
creation goes off across the lake?
All the effort you have put into the
building has come to fruition.
Time to see the puffer methinks

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:34 pm »

A very build indeed.  Well done, she looks great.     :-))

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

pompebled

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 05:46:15 pm »

Hi Chris,

She really looks the part, well done!

Regards, Jan.
Boaters are nice people

Pearlsfirstmate

• Full Mayhemer
  • Pearl - the real thing!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

Time to see the puffer methinks

Ned

OK Ned - got the message - Puffer build will follow shortly  O0

I must say the Diva does look good and went very well on the lake.  All credit to the other half  :kiss:

Chris G

• Full Mayhemer
Aeronaut Diva
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 09:07:09 pm »

Can't wait for you all to see the Puffer, wish I could take the credit for even some of it but it is all the work of 'a lady' :o  is nothing sacred.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.